The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

So is Palmu eligible for the AHL next year? If so, we could potentially have a stacked Utica Comets. Potentially added to the team would be:

Lind Gaudette Gadjovich

Dahlen Pettersson Palmu

Joulevi

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

So is Palmu eligible for the AHL next year? If so, we could potentially have a stacked Utica Comets. Potentially added to the team would be:

Lind Gaudette Gadjovich

Dahlen Pettersson Palmu

Joulevi

He could have played in Utica this year.  Why didn’t he?

Pettersson and Gaudette will no see Utica.

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He could have played in Utica this year.  Why didn’t he?

Pettersson and Gaudette will no see Utica.

I think Pettersson should be in Utica and Gaudettes coach said he needs a year in Utica so don't be surprised to see at least one of them there.

Pettersson would benefit because he could work on his physicality and develop as a centre down there.

Gaudette would benefit do to more practice time and the adjustment to playing against men. Personally i hope they're both down there for a bit

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think Pettersson should be in Utica and Gaudettes coach said he needs a year in Utica so don't be surprised to see at least one of them there.

Pettersson would benefit because he could work on his physicality and develop as a centre down there.

Gaudette would benefit do to more practice time and the adjustment to playing against men. Personally i hope they're both down there for a bit

Prepare for disappointment... or another year of Sedin Retirement Tour.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Prepare for disappointment... or another year of Sedin Retirement Tour.

Thats the thing. I think the Sedins will come back for one more season and extend this rebuild. But I do think its best to take a patient approach with prospects and let them develop in lower tier leagues. Its not like its going to hurt this teams future or make us any worse next year if all of our prospects are in Utica. We are going to be bad next year with or without them so why not let them dominate the AHL.

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Or, if the players are ready why stall the rebuild for nostalgia's sake?  Benning said "we will be younger and faster next year."  What's that mean, just no Vanek?

That's a big if. I agree that if the prospects are ready, then it's time to bring them in, but aside from Gaudette next season, I don't think even Pettersson will be ready. Pettersson at the draft has said he's a couple years away from making the club and he's our top prospect. Of course his mind could have changed with him doing so well this year in the men's league, but he still has a major adjustment with ice size, potential weight gain, and even the fact that he's coming to a new city that has the media and fans who are "passionate". The Sedins themselves said it was a big adjustment for them coming here and considered going back to Sweden, but luckily they had each other and some good leaders to ease their way in.

The Sedins are putting up some decent numbers this year and they could go out with some glory, but it seems like they are more along the lines of if they can still play and compete, then they will continue to do so. Signing a one year deal doesn't hurt the Canucks capwise (as they surely will take a massive paycut from this year) and allows players to have that extra year of development if needed. If they come back and some prospects look ready in preseason, then they will likely get their chances if the injury bug continues next season and we won't have to call up guys like Chaput, Megna or even Boucher (waiver wire player) anymore and have legitimate prospects to call up like Tampa does. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Or, if the players are ready why stall the rebuild for nostalgia's sake?  Benning said "we will be younger and faster next year."  What's that mean, just no Vanek?

means guys like Liepsic and Motte stepping in along with Goldy etc. Do you honestly think Pettersson can just step into the NHL next year and develop, in this league, into a top line centre? Gaudette at least has the frame/lower lineup skills that may allow him to play on the 4th line next year, but wouldn't you rather see him in Utica developing his skill, practicing and getting ready to step into a prominent roll in a year or two? All Im saying is that allowing our young guys to dominate a league will be better for the future of this team. The lineup I see coming out of training camp is

Goldy-Bo-boeser

Virtanen-Gagner-Eriksson

Sedins-Sutter

Leipsic-Gaunce-Archibald

Granlund-UFA/Vanek

Edler-Guddy

Pouliot-Tanev

Del Zotto-Stetcher

McEneny

Marky

Demko

I see Sven, Hutton and Nilsson being traded this offseason. Then the trading of expiring contracts such as Edler (if he waives, Juolevi replaces), Del Zotto (McEneny/Brisebois/traded player replaces), Gagner (money retained, replaced by Gaudette or Pettersson), Archy/UFAs (replaced by MacEwen, Carcone or Cassels).

Allow for one more bad/rebuild season next year in which the kids are gradually brought into the NHL and then let them dominate the following year with a few vets mixed in.

Dahlen-Bo-Eriksson

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Leipsic-Gaudette-Sutter

MacEwen-Gaunce-UFA/Motte

Juolevi-Tanev

Pouliot-Guddy

McEneny/2018draft/Tryamkin-Stetcher

Demko

Marky

17 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Gaudette at least has the frame/lower lineup skills that may allow him to play on the 4th line next year, but wouldn't you rather see him in Utica developing his skill, practicing and getting ready to step into a prominent roll in a year or two? 

The thing with NCAA players is that they're usually coming in older and more physically ready than junior players. I think if Gaudette can showcase himself early and does well, he should make the big club much like Boeser did. I don't think anyone at this point would say Boeser could've used a year in Utica. However if Gaudette simply isn't good enough to crack the NHL roster then for sure some time in Utica like Molino. With his game though, as you mentioned he should be able to at least play a 4th line role and I would be perfectly fine with that with the way Green deploys his lines (doesn't just play the 4th line measly minutes, but rather just lowers the minutes of players who aren't doing the right things).

• Cheers 1