The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Odds he’s going to be in Utica next year? Could replace boucher in the top 6

My random guess he stays over their for next year as well then comes to NA for 2019/2020 season.

I would like to see him play here sooner, but I think he might have a 2year deal with his current team?

Palmu played more than 20 minutes again (20:14), second highest among forwards. Looks like he is playing with a lot of confidence. His steps are very quick, also when skating backwards, which also helps him on defense switching very quickly between players to apply pressure. On offense he was very noticeable and created several opportunities, although he tried to do too much by himself towards the end (puckhog).

Edited by joe-max
  • Thanks 1

This could become a very good year for Canucks prospects on paper.

- Palmu winning the rookie scoring crown.

- Pettersson winning almost anything possible in Sweden.

- Dahlen possibly winning some hardware and getting promoted to the SHL

- Gaudette possibly winning the Hobey Baker (and the title?)

- Juolevi and Palmu enter the playoffs as 2nd seed, title chances here

- some surprise in junior hockey...

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, joe-max said:

This could become a very good year for Canucks prospects on paper.

- Palmu winning the rookie scoring crown.

- Pettersson winning almost anything possible in Sweden.

- Dahlen possibly winning some hardware and getting promoted to the SHL

- Gaudette possibly winning the Hobey Baker (and the title?)

- Juolevi and Palmu enter the playoffs as 2nd seed, title chances here

- some surprise in junior hockey...

Gadjovich Team Canada too

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we sign him when his season wraps up as well. I think a year in Utica and then he might make a good middle six guy for us. He's short, but seems pretty stocky from what I've read, should be someone hard to knock off the puck.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we sign him when his season wraps up as well. I think a year in Utica and then he might make a good middle six guy for us. He's short, but seems pretty stocky from what I've read, should be someone hard to knock off the puck.

I was thinking the same thing but just remembered he signed a two year contract in Finland. Doubt he even tries to get out of that. Besides its a pretty good league and it wont hurt him to play another season there and develop some more before making the jump

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I was thinking the same thing but just remembered he signed a two year contract in Finland. Doubt he even tries to get out of that. Besides its a pretty good league and it wont hurt him to play another season there and develop some more before making the jump

Didn't realize he signed for 2 years. Not a bad thing and its a good place for him to build from. Probably little better placement than if he was in Utica.

On 09/03/2018 at 4:48 PM, RetroCanuck said:

I wonder if his contract has an NHL out clause. We hold his rights until June 2019, so there isn't a rush to sign him. It's not like the Rodrigo Abols situation where people are confused about his prospect status with the Canucks.

I hope he returns to NA next season but it'll depend on the influx of youngsters next season that'll determine if he stays in Finland or not, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

I wonder if his contract has an NHL out clause. We hold his rights until June 2019, so there isn't a rush to sign him. It's not like the Rodrigo Abols situation where people are confused about his prospect status with the Canucks.

I hope he returns to NA next season but it'll depend on the influx of youngsters next season that'll determine if he stays in Finland or not, in my opinion.

It's great having a deeper talent pool than we're accustomed to, but the 50 man roster limit is not our friend.

Players like Palmu, Zhukenov, Jasek, Candella and Brassard might be lost in the numbers game. AHL contracts can be offered, but are not a given to be taken.

Edited by SingleThorn

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

It's great having a deeper talent pool than we're accustomed to, but the 50 man roster limit is not our friend.

Players like Palmu, Zhukenov, Jasek, Candella and Brassard might be lost in the numbers game. AHL contracts can be offered, but are not a given to be taken.

I see this as another reason the Sedins need to retire.  They play next year and they could cost us two prospects due to the 50 man roster limit.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Quantum said:

Doubt he comes over as the Finish league is a good league and he will develop well over there for another year and then he can come over.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

We are absolutely fine on contracts. Tons coming off the books this offseason even if the Sedins don't retire.

Guys I think wont be back period.

Jokinen, Dowd, Molino, Chaput, Megna, Stewart, Cederholm = 7

Guys on expiring deal who may or may not be/ wish to be re-uped.

Sedin, Sedin, Boucher, Archibald, Labate, Wiercoch, Bachman, Cassels = 8

With those seven coming off and three we have thats 10 spots open for signing prospects and trades.

Prospects I think will be signed this offseason.

Pettersson, Gaudette, DiPietro?, Brassard, Candella? = 5

So just with the contracts we know will be coming off the books and the guys we should/need to sign we have extra contracts. Some will be used on college free agents and UFAs but we are actually in a good place regarding contracts.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Doubt he comes over as the Finish league is a good league and he will develop well over there for another year and then he can come over.

We are absolutely fine on contracts. Tons coming off the books this offseason even if the Sedins don't retire.

Guys I think wont be back period.

Jokinen, Dowd, Molino, Chaput, Megna, Stewart, Cederholm = 7

Guys on expiring deal who may or may not be/ wish to be re-uped.

Sedin, Sedin, Boucher, Archibald, Labate, Wiercoch, Bachman, Cassels = 8

With those seven coming off and three we have thats 10 spots open for signing prospects and trades.

Prospects I think will be signed this offseason.

Pettersson, Gaudette, DiPietro?, Brassard, Candella? = 5

So just with the contracts we know will be coming off the books and the guys we should/need to sign we have extra contracts. Some will be used on college free agents and UFAs but we are actually in a good place regarding contracts.

I'm guessing we re-sign Archie, Labate and Cassels. Benning's also likely to sign some 9, 10 etc D again like Wiercioch (whether actually him or otherwise). Wouldn't be shocked to see at least Chaput back either.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm guessing we re-sign Archie, Labate and Cassels. Benning's also likely to sign some 9, 10 etc D again like Wiercioch (whether actually him or otherwise). Wouldn't be shocked to see at least Chaput back either.

Guys like chaput can always be picked up on waivers but I agree with the possibility of Archie, Labate, Cassels and Wiercoch being resigned. Hence my second "maybe" list. That said with a bunch of prospects(Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Juolevi, Brassard? DePietro? Candella?) coming into Utica/maybe Canucks we potentially don't need as many plugs as we did last offseason.