The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

2 hours ago, gudbranmuffin said:

Probably for the best if they're not interested in him. Might've brought in some bad habits. Wouldn't be good for the development of youngens.

Too much class in our dressing room for that IMO. 

The main thing with Yakupov was that he was trying to do everything and drifting away from what got him to 1OVR. Pure offence. 

You don't try to coach defense into a kid that that was all about offense. 

Let's be real here, he had a good show in his rookie season. But this was an oiler team in full tank mode. No supporting players or vets. And then gets moved to a team where they don't give him the light of day. Was late to practice because he was feeding a homeless man. 

The kid wants to dress in a Vancouver Canucks uniform and play as his idol did. 

We should give the guy a shot IMO. Let him go out there strictly offensively and see what he can do. If he doesn't produce, waive him. 

That being said, he should be signed on a Burm type deal. 

Show us you can produce and we will show you the money.

Maybe there is a verbal agreement on a PTO?

We are getting perhaps a little too loaded with forwards.  With that said, I really think a Yakupov Zhukenov Goldobin line could be pretty sweet to watch.  Lots of offensive talent if they can put it together, and hopefully instant chemistry.

We just don't have the room.

Am I the only person who doesn't want Yakupov?   I think there's a bit of an attitude there and we don't need that.  Want a team without drama...just show up and love playing the game.  Not pout on the bench if things don't go their way.  I think he brings a bit of that....

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Am I the only person who doesn't want Yakupov?   I think there's a bit of an attitude there and we don't need that.  Want a team without drama...just show up and love playing the game.  Not pout on the bench if things don't go their way.  I think he brings a bit of that....

I don't think he would fit into the dressing room at all......it would be a set back IMO to what JB's is trying to create.

If he wasn't a former 1OA, would people still be wanting him so badly? Sometimes players get drafted too early e.g. Daigle.  It happens. 

Deb, you're not alone. I, for one, have been saying from the beginning I don't want to risk signing him. I'd rather stay away from his baggage.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

If he wasn't a former 1OA, would people still be wanting him so badly? Sometimes players get drafted too early e.g. Daigle.  It happens. 

Deb, you're not alone. I, for one, have been saying from the beginning I don't want to risk signing him. I'd rather stay away from his baggage.

I'm with you. I was thinking, "why not buy low on him?" But then I started to ask, "imagine he was drafted late in the first round, what would I think of his game?" I would honestly say, "PROS: skilled, athletic, fast; CONS: high maintenance, low hockey IQ, possibly selfish, low production". If that's the case, then why waste a roster space on someone who clearly wasn't able to earn it on 2 other organizations and who would probably require a lot of resources to just get going and who may screw up the good team culture that the organization has painstakingly been promoting? So hard facts made me not want him.

13 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm with you. I was thinking, "why not buy low on him?" But then I started to ask, "imagine he was drafted late in the first round, what would I think of his game?" I would honestly say, "PROS: skilled, athletic, fast; CONS: high maintenance, low hockey IQ, possibly selfish, low production". If that's the case, then why waste a roster space on someone who clearly wasn't able to earn it on 2 other organizations and who would probably require a lot of resources to just get going and who may screw up the good team culture that the organization has painstakingly been promoting? So hard facts made me not want him.

I won't lose any sleep if we don't sign him but to be the other voice.... some people do need to hit bottom to start climbing back up. Kassian is a good example of this. The question would be is he at that point in life though? 

9 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

I won't lose any sleep if we don't sign him but to be the other voice.... some people do need to hit bottom to start climbing back up. Kassian is a good example of this. The question would be is he at that point in life though? 

You would have to think it is if he goes unsigned and gets a PTO.

5 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Too much class in our dressing room for that IMO. 

The main thing with Yakupov was that he was trying to do everything and drifting away from what got him to 1OVR. Pure offence. 

You don't try to coach defense into a kid that that was all about offense. 

Let's be real here, he had a good show in his rookie season. But this was an oiler team in full tank mode. No supporting players or vets. And then gets moved to a team where they don't give him the light of day. Was late to practice because he was feeding a homeless man. 

The kid wants to dress in a Vancouver Canucks uniform and play as his idol did. 

We should give the guy a shot IMO. Let him go out there strictly offensively and see what he can do. If he doesn't produce, waive him. 

That being said, he should be signed on a Burm type deal. 

Show us you can produce and we will show you the money.

Maybe there is a verbal agreement on a PTO?

I agree.  Some players are like SUV's... jack-of-all-trades (Horvat), some are like reliability comfortable sedans like Volvo from Don Docksteader (Sedins).... other players are like finely turned sports cars (Yakupov).  You don't tow cargo with a sports car...... you race with a sports car.  Not saying any one type is better than the other, but you play players to their strengths.

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

One player wouldn't ruin a culture, unless they were of superstar status.  Kassian didn't ruin the culture of the room, not did Hodgson. 

High maintenance and selfishness.... they're adjectives thrown around all the time.  If a player isn't playing well and have been shipped off to another team.... and especially if they are Eastern European, they're automatically labeled as such.  Kesler was definitely high maintenance and selfish... yet he's just labelled as "competitive" and "intense". 

Nail's time with the Oilers should be a total write-off... since almost no one from that organization has done anything good (save for the McDavid).  Tenure with the Blues.... the Blues themselves weren't playing well either.  Coach fired, Captain wasn't re-signed, dysfunctional locker room and no show for a playoffs again.... none which was of Yakupov's fault. 

The Canucks situation is ideal for a player like him.  Minimal expectation, but with many good pieces from the 2011 team, and other good leadership/character players from his own age group.  Daniel, Henrik, Horvat, Gaunce, Baertschi, Dorsett..... all good character players to be around with.  The twins were unprepared for the NHL and took them a very long time to finally make it.  Horvat and Gaunce are meat & potatoes type players, Dorsett helped take Bo under his wing for his first year.... and Baertschi's story isn't too different from Yakupov.  A high draft pick, offensively gifted player.... played well initially and then lagged behind his peers subsequently... then just shipped out of town and had to scrape his way back in the NHL and into a top-6 role. 

LOL "What if he was drafted late in the first round?"....

but he wasn't. He was drafted first overall and he was drafted there because he is talented. He has been through two programs now and it's reasonable to believe that he might start to realize his potential with a fresh start.

Meanwhile, Canuck fans are saying no, because he could be a problem in the dressing room. (Most of whom have never been in a dressing room)

It's pretty tough to find bargains and diamonds in the rough when all you're interested in are talented players with stellar reputations....:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

LOL "What if he was drafted late in the first round?"....

but he wasn't. He was drafted first overall and he was drafted there because he is talented. He has been through two programs now and it's reasonable to believe that he might start to realize his potential with a fresh start.

Meanwhile, Canuck fans are saying no, because he could be a problem in the dressing room. (Most of whom have never been in a dressing room)

It's pretty tough to find bargains and diamonds in the rough when all you're interested in are talented players with stellar reputations....:rolleyes:

Show me the percentage of the number of top picks who have busted as badly as Yakupov all of a sudden start realizing his potential after flaming out with their first 2 teams and then, I'll agree that it's reasonable. Here are some stats: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1326903-no-1-pick-yakupov-will-get-another-shot-but-he-shouldn-t  
The difference between finding diamonds in the rough and this situation is that with diamonds, you can accumulate as many rocks as you want whereas with an NHL team, you can only have so many forwards.

Meanwhile, the other NHL GM's who have been in more NHL dressing rooms than you are apparently also passing on Yakupov. Btw, technically, even the bargain-hunter Knights passed on him in the expansion draft.

10 hours ago, Whale Tail said:

Kassian was an addict, and that's why he couldn't quite bring it on a day-to-day basis. He actually was productive when he was sober. With Yakupov, I don't know what's going on with the kid. From other forums, I've heard of complaints about lack of concern about the D-side of hockey and hockey IQ.

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree. With that being said there is a small part of me that hopes the character of Canucks management, Sedins and Horvat that would show him how to he a character player, and at this point he may do anything to even play. Some people thrive under being benched, others just need to get shown some love hah.

4 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Show me the percentage of the number of top picks who have busted as badly as Yakupov all of a sudden start realizing his potential after flaming out with their first 2 teams and then, I'll agree that it's reasonable. Here are some stats: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1326903-no-1-pick-yakupov-will-get-another-shot-but-he-shouldn-t  
The difference between finding diamonds in the rough and this situation is that with diamonds, you can accumulate as many rocks as you want whereas with an NHL team, you can only have so many forwards.

Meanwhile, the other NHL GM's who have been in more NHL dressing rooms than you are apparently also passing on Yakupov. Btw, technically, even the bargain-hunter Knights passed on him in the expansion draft.

Percentage? I'm not sure how many first overall picks "flamed out" as you put it, but Michael Grabner comes to mind as a guy who put it together after a franchise move. The Oilers just re-signed another who definitely helps them deal with the bigger teams in the West, like the three in Cali.

Bear in mind that neither of those guys could be had for nothing but salary.

Are there legitimate reports out their of yakupov being a locker room cancer or distraction? When i see that guy score he shows a zest for the game. He has skill and speed, he was never going to succeed on the 4th line in st louis. 

I think he will sign in montreal if radulov walks.

Drouin galchenyuk yakupov

Worth a low risk contract in my opinion.

14 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The comment section below the article cracked me up:

"Aw, c'mon now give the guy another chance."

If I were the Blackhawks and Yakupov would be willing to sign for 800k, I would take a gamble on him.

Give him a chance with Toews and Saad.  He'd be on a line with two very good defensive players, who can also get him a lot of offensive scoring opportunities.  Its a role suited well for his style.  

Plus, you've got a locker room loaded with leadership to possibly quash any bad habits, and a coach that could help improve on different aspects of his game other than offense.

One year deal gives Yak a chance to earn to bigger payday next season if takes advantage of the opportunity. 

Low risk for the Hawks with a possible high reward.  Seems good fit for both.

Archived