The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Gagner likely to sign with Vancouver

Nail

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

Lol, you are a donkey.  Let's take a chance on a guy with under 10 points vs a guy with over 50 points. Thanks for coming out 

A donkey eh? YAK didnt play the pp in st louis. He played 10 min per game.

He comes at a 1/5 of the price that Gagner will so i guess in terms of contract, Yak is better value. Also Yak is 5 years younger with far more upside. Your a moron

5 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

A donkey eh? YAK didnt play the pp in st louis. He played 10 min per game.

He comes at a 1/5 of the price that Gagner will so i guess in terms of contract, Yak is better value. Also Yak is 5 years younger with far more upside. Your a moron

I love when guys chirp others for being stupid while making grammatical mistakes. It's hilarious. You're* 

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gagne is a center, and young, skilled players like Granlund/Boeser/Boucher/Goldobin/Rodin desperately need a center that can distribute the puck in order to reach their offensive potential.

Not everyone can play with Horvat/Henrik.

So Sutter is chopped liver then?

Don't mind this at all. Can move between centre and wing, 50 points last season. I wanted us to bring him in last year to replace Vey's role as a powerplay guy who moves up and down the lineup. 

As for Boeser/Goldobin I'd rather we keep Goldobin up and have Boeser playing in Utica. Goldobin has played 165 games between the AHL/Finland and 23 in the NHL. Time to see what he can do at the next level.

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

"Rebuilding"

is that an attempt at being clever? if so u fail. we have a lot of cap space and there is no reason to rush our young guys into the league. this is a nice bridge signing. we could use him to mentor the young guys too.

2 hours ago, linden17 said:

is that an attempt at being clever? if so u fail. we have a lot of cap space and there is no reason to rush our young guys into the league. this is a nice bridge signing. we could use him to mentor the young guys too.

Half a year younger than Sutter. If this is a turnaround for Gagner he could be good for another 5-6 years. Don't mind bringing in guys who are 28 and younger - we can't load our team with just 20 year olds. 

6 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Sutter is a very good defensive forward who wins draws, plays hard minutes/pk, dzone starts etc in the name of helping shelter other lines/players and puts up 17/17/34. He's still going to be needed to do that.

He is not, however, a play maker. 

Signing a bunch of reclamation projects that likely not really going to make you much better and that you may be able to either flip at the deadline, let go if don't work out or possibly find a utility player going forward fits with a rebuild.  These aren't the guys that are going to make us a great team but they do shelter some of our young prospects on what will probably be a good Utica team or in Europe instead of on what is going to be a pretty awful pro team.

This is exactly the type of moves Toronto and Buffalo made when they started their rebuild.  Useful pieces with some value at the TD and hey maybe a piece works out in the long run.

29 minutes ago, Violator said:

blehh.no thanks even though hes a canuck

someone has to sell me on this guy

Cheap, offensive depth. Better than Megna. Allows us to shelter/develop kids in Utica and have depth for injuries. Gives us a stepping stone to Petterson. Gives us a play making C for Hank retiring next year.

Enough?

6 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

No. He's a solid defensive player that can chip in some goals. He'd be a great third line center on a contender looking for a line that can play against other teams top lines, while freeing up the higher skill guys on that team to go to work.

What Sutter is NOT is a playmaker. His possession number aren't good, and he's a poor puck distributor, which is exactly the type of player that shouldn't be anchoring a line with young, skilled players. Goldy/Granny/Rodin/Boeser/Boucher/whoever are players with relatively high offensive upsides, but I can't see them reaching those heights if they're on a line with a center who cant distribute the puck.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Cheap, offensive depth. Better than Megna. Allows us to shelter/develop kids in Utica and have depth for injuries. Gives us a stepping stone to Petterson. Gives us a play making C for Hank retiring next year.

Enough?

YUP

Sutter probably has one more year to prove himself. Even if you match him up with the Sedins, very unlikely it will change anything. Hopefully Green will find someone else on another line who has the perfect chemistry to prop him up. If not, Sutter is pretty much done.

Archived