The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Gagner likely to sign with Vancouver

Nail

6 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Way rather take a swing at Yak.

Yak could play the point on Pp, with that big slapper. Plus he hits guys and he's 5 years younger

Benning has already said that they have no interest in Yakupov. He feels that Goldobin fills that role already.

5 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Hmm I guess you should tell Pittsburgh the same thing. How did "lots of skill" turn out for them the past couple years?

While there certainly is some merit to that statement, it can't be ignored that the pens along with eastern teams simply don't play in a division like the Canucks do.  There is no comparison between the 82 game season as well as the path in the playoffs getting through the west.  The physicality and travel in the pacific division is another animal.  I doubt the pens achieve half of what they have if they had to follow the Canucks route.

I would like to see this line-up tried if this is true. 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines can be rotated. I would also like to see Boeser spend a little time in the AHL...get some reps and come up when the first injury happens.

Baer - Horvat - Granlund

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Rodin - Gagner -  Eriksson

Gaunce - Sutter - Boucher

Dorsett/Bouma

13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Benning has already said that they have no interest in Yakupov. He feels that Goldobin fills that role already.

Being honest with his intentions didn't do him so well last year so I doubt he'd come out and just say what he is doing this year.

26 minutes ago, Aspie said:

The idea is that we need to score more goals... not add offensively inept forwards.

We have 4 young scoring wingers who could be competing for 2 middle 6 spots. Now we are cutting that down to 1. Yes, Maybe gives us more scoring, but you're kidding yourself if you think Sam Gagner is the scoring bullet who is going to get us back in the playoffs. I bet Boeser gets as many points this year and Gager plays on the 3rd line

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

While there certainly is some merit to that statement, it can't be ignored that the pens along with eastern teams simply don't play in a division like the Canucks do.  There is no comparison between the 82 game season as well as the path in the playoffs getting through the west.  The physicality and travel in the pacific division is another animal.  I doubt the pens achieve half of what they have if they had to follow the Canucks route.

I'd also argue Crosby and Malkin aren't as soft as most would think. I'd rather go in the corner with 33 than 87. I'm not saying 33 is a wimp he'd still come out with the puck but I think 87 is pretty scrappy.

Add in Reaves.

Just now, Noseforthenet said:

We have 4 young scoring wingers who could be competing for 2 middle 6 spots. Now we are cutting that down to 1. Yes, Maybe gives us more scoring, but you're kidding yourself if you think Sam Gagner is the scoring bullet who is going to get us back in the playoffs. I bet Boeser gets as many points this year and Gager plays on the 3rd line

Gagne is a center, and young, skilled players like Granlund/Boeser/Boucher/Goldobin/Rodin desperately need a center that can distribute the puck in order to reach their offensive potential.

Not everyone can play with Horvat/Henrik.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gagne is a center, and young, skilled players like Granlund/Boeser/Boucher/Goldobin/Rodin desperately need a center that can distribute the puck in order to reach their offensive potential.

Not everyone can play with Horvat/Henrik.

I would think it would make the transition for whoever plays with Gagner easier for when Pettersson eventually slots in.

We don't want guys like Granlund, Goldobin, or Boeser to adapt their game to play with Sutter.

I just don't see what Gagne brings to this line up.  Unless Benning knows that Sedin is retiring soon and he thinks that Gagne is far better than Sutter to fill in the top 6 for a year.

As far as I'm concerned, pick a goalie and a bottom pair D off free agency and leave well enough alone.  This year is for development.  Think long term

Just now, DeNiro said:

I would think it would make the transition for whoever plays with Gagner easier for when Pettersson eventually slots in.

We don't want guys like Granlund, Goldobin, or Boeser to adapt their game to play with Sutter.

That's actually a great point.

If any of the guys we're talking about spend too much time on a line with a poor puck distributor like Sutter, it's conceivable that they're forced to adapt their game to try and compensate, essentially being forced to "go into business for themselves". 

Enough time spent doing that, and they'd likely be completely out of whack once Pettersson makes the jump, which would mean that they'd either have to readjust their games yet again, or that Pettersson would have to adjust his game to compensate, which we definitely don't want.

The above mentioned wingers playing with an actual playmaker like Gagne gives them the opportunity to get comfortable with a puck distributing center, so when Pettersson is finally able to make the jump, they should be able to compliment his abilities quite well.

Archived