The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen with good corsi

Hortankin

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has played the 12th most NHL games of the 2014 first round picks and scored the 14th most NHL goals.   Not sure that is "inept" as it still has him in upper half of first round and given he is a power forward who typically do not develop as quickly - the fact that he also has solid CORSI to go along with decent NHL numbers to date could also be viewed as quite promising if you didn't look at him with such a negative bias.   However, you have the right to be as negative as you want I guess.

Not "negative bias". Simply being realistic. He has been a disappointment thus far, and the excuses have become pretty laughable. I've actually seen people try to undermine the importance of points :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I hope he pulls it together and becomes great. I really do. But I'm not going to sit here, stroke my chin, and say "It's all going according to plan hehehe" after he shows up to training camp out of shape, doesn't make the big club, and then proceeds to score at the same pace in the AHL that he scored in the NHL a season prior.

31 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

People can say Virtanen as been a diasappointment all they want just because he hasn't racked up the points but there's one thing that has stuck with and that is this hit on Mcdavid...

If he can do this in the Bigs and be semi productive i'm a happy camper!

VirtanenHit.gif

I loved seeing this.

41 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not "negative bias". Simply being realistic. He has been a disappointment thus far, and the excuses have become pretty laughable. I've actually seen people try to undermine the importance of points :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I hope he pulls it together and becomes great. I really do. But I'm not going to sit here, stroke my chin, and say "It's all going according to plan hehehe" after he shows up to training camp out of shape, doesn't make the big club, and then proceeds to score at the same pace in the AHL that he scored in the NHL a season prior.

Some people watch him play, some people stat watch.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't know who is making excuses for him, I am simply saying he is in the top half of the first round picks from 2014 in terms of NHL games played and NHL goals so while that isn't 6th overall, or better, in both it is miles ahead of the 5th and 7th overall picks (who have yet to play an NHL game) and if his progression in AHL last year is to be taken for what it is per Travis Green, this is a player who has a great chance to have a long and valued NHL career.   The fact he is only 20 and has all of the tools at his disposal sure is in his corner - up to him now, if he doesn't make it from here it wasn't for lack of talent but to say he has been a total failure would be harsh given the facts but he also hasn't lived up to being 6th overall yet either so clearly he hasn't wowed anyone yet either.

3 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

People can say Virtanen as been a diasappointment all they want just because he hasn't racked up the points but there's one thing that has stuck with and that is this hit on Mcdavid...

If he can do this in the Bigs and be semi productive i'm a happy camper!

VirtanenHit.gif

Really looking forward to this then seeing Jake beat the snot out of overpaid old-man Lucic

8 hours ago, dpn1 said:

This is totally off topic but how do you put a signature on your posts?

Top right corner your name has a drop down menu. Select account settings. On the left hand side you'll see signature. If you're using an image you need to enter a link to the image and then save it. Check the board rules for rules on image size before adding one.

3 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I agree would rather Jake play a Marchand type game be a thorn in the other teams best players side and fight the better players and not guys way out of his class.

Agreed. Hoping MacEwan and Gadjovic can make the team sooner than later so we have some more size up front and to take some pressure off Jake in the physical department. 

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He looks so much more fit than 12 months ago.   Face totally different.   I would suspect his %body fat has changed dramatically.  

Actually he looks like he's put weight on again since the end of the season. Not as bad as last year though.

I heard 1040 talking about Jake and there seems to be some out there that expect him to be on the team opening night.  I know that is what I am thinking along with some other posters here.  I didn't realize that others in the media felt the same way.

Archived