The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Sedins join the - one franchise club

CanadianRugby

Sedins Career Canucks?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Bertuzzi & Naslund, our greatest stars couldn't do it.  Will the Sedins be the first great players to only wear the Canuck jersey?  

Down Goes Brown: Which NHLers could join the one-franchise club?

Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Canucks

The tenure: 1,248 games for Henrik and 1,225 for Daniel, dating back to 2000

Why they’ll make it: Both sides in this one have been clear: The Sedins will finish their career in Vancouver. The twins have gone on the record to say they don’t want to leave. And the Canucks seem happy to hold onto them, resisting calls to think about moving their two veteran stars to help kickstart a rebuild.

On top of that, there’s another issue in play here: It’s just not easy to take on a pair of high salaries in the same deal. Assuming the twins will want to stay together wherever they play, there just aren’t many teams out there that could add that sort of cap hit. Sticking it out in Vancouver and then retiring as Canucks isn’t just the sentimental choice, it’s the practical one.

Why they won’t: The brothers have just one year left on their contracts, and the Canucks are expected to be a bad team this year and probably a few after that. Trading them today would be all but impossible, but getting a retained-salary deal done at the deadline might be realistic. And even assuming they finish the season as Canucks, the Sedins could head into unrestricted free agency next summer. Maybe they’d want to take a swing at a Stanley Cup somewhere before calling it quits.

Chance of making the one-franchise club: 75%. This will seem low to Canucks fans, many of whom seem to assume that the Sedins playing out their career in Vancouver is a sure thing. Maybe it is. But if Doan and the Coyotes taught us anything, it’s that loyalty has its limits, especially when a rebuilding team wants to go young. Is it really that hard to imagine the twins at least thinking about a discount deal with a contender next summer?

I think we could re-sign them at end of the year to 1 or 2 year extensions, depending on $$$ for 2 year.

Why? Just look at the bonker signings FA's got this year...Thorton $8mil lmao, Marleau at over $6 million a year for 3 years, blech. If Sedins walk end of this year, Canucks have a huge gaping hole to fill in that top six let alone top nine.

How often do "big" FA signings even pay off anyways? Name me one free agent signing who made big bucks and signed for relatively long-term paid off and I'll name you 5 others who didn't.

Pretty sure they will retire after this season.

Better to go out on top or close to top of your game. Each had 15 goals last year. 

Didn't Naslund score 25 his last year in Van city.  ? Then Nassy got 24 in NY for the rangers and retired.

I really think H and D retire after this season .  End of an era for the Canucks. 

57 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure they will retire after this season.

Better to go out on top or close to top of your game. Each had 15 goals last year. 

Didn't Naslund score 25 his last year in Van city.  ? Then Nassy got 24 in NY for the rangers and retired.

I really think H and D retire after this season .  End of an era for the Canucks. 

It really is.

70's - Let's pretend they never happened.

Early-Late 80's - Not much better then the 70's sans Cinderella playoff run.

Quinn/Linden era - Finally a Nucks team that was good. Lots of memorable players; Bure, Ronning, McLean, Lumme, Russel, Adams, Odjick etc;

The Dark years - Messier/Kennan era - Ugh

West Coast Express era - Took a little bit of time for this era to pick up after "The Dark years" but wasn't much to say about the time between WCE and Messier eras.

Sedin era - Easily our longest and most productive era we've had, President trophies, division titles out the butthole, scoring titles, lot of playoff appearances, deep cup run. Lot of memorable players as well. Luongo, Kesler, Burrows, Ohlund, Salo, Edler, gonna miss a bunch of names here.

??? era - No idea, but it's starting to look promising!

I hope they get traded to a contender this TDL if come TDL, we're out of the picture.

These two are the greatest human being in the history of sports and deserve a shot to win a cup. Although the old boys club will likely get in the way.

Absolutely. Even irrespective of their salaries, I don't see a team that is two Sedins away from winning the Cup. I don't think they are the missing piece(s) for an organization. Let them finish out here where their contribution on our youth, city, and community is more valuable than they would be to any other organization.

They are the players that keep on giving.

They have given us so much entertainment, joy, goals, pure skill, Presidents Trophies, scoring titles, Divisional titles. They have given money to charities, given their time to the people.

They have given hope to so many fans.

They have given an identity to the franchise.

Maybe they will give one more time and take a deal at he deadline and the Canucks can get a good return for the future....and if all goes well they can get A CUP.

Either way I am still smiling, whether they stay and become one team legends, or go and maybe win it all I am still a massive fan for all they have given to me!

Archived