The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thomas Vanek | #26 | RW

-SN-

Trade Vanek and anders nilsson for aaron dell :P ( dell might be on the trade block down the road ) and sj will need more scoring help once playoffs come closer, and dell would make a perfect fit in van, with him being from BC ....and he is a very good goalie

Announcers at 2nd period intermission were talking about dell and how SJ might put him on the trade block for scoring help, hence why if vanek can continue playing well, teams like SJ and other playoff bound ones will be interested

I recently found something out about the trade last year that moved Vanek to Florida from Detroit. Not only did Florida give up a third round pick, but they also gave up Dylan McIlrath, meaning that if we're trading straight up, a third is probably reasonable, maybe even a second, depending on how much value you attribute to McIlrath.

As much as the idea of trading Vanek may appeal... maybe hold onto him plus re-sign him?

It appears that he still has game... not quite 1st liner anymore, but a very good secondary line player.  Him and Boeser seemingly to be on the same wavelength, along with Gagner.  Taking some offensive pressure off a guy like Brock can only help him to develop more.

If you're out defending, who are you going to prioritize.... the proven goal scorer in Thomas Vanek or the rising phenom Brock Boeser?

I won't lie, I'm worried that we'd see the Radim Vrbata syndrome with Vanek if he were to return. There's not a whole lot of evidence to support this concern except for a slight dip in offense in his second year with Minnesota. 

28 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As much as the idea of trading Vanek may appeal... maybe hold onto him plus re-sign him?

It appears that he still has game... not quite 1st liner anymore, but a very good secondary line player.  Him and Boeser seemingly to be on the same wavelength, along with Gagner.  Taking some offensive pressure off a guy like Brock can only help him to develop more.

If you're out defending, who are you going to prioritize.... the proven goal scorer in Thomas Vanek or the rising phenom Brock Boeser?

Their line's performance was a real treat. IMHO it does not change the timeline this club has. The Twins have a series of strong games and fans call for them to be resigned. At some point Benning has to decide how many vets he carries on his roster and how many spots to develop prospects and young players. Combine that assessment with potential draft picks that might be garnered for moving some vets. I am hoping that Vanek has a great season and that Benning can move him for a 1st or 2nd Round pick. As much as many fans think the Van prospect depth is deep I do not share that belief. 2018 is a deep draft and Vancouver has to cash in.  

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I won't lie, I'm worried that we'd see the Radim Vrbata syndrome with Vanek if he were to return. There's not a whole lot of evidence to support this concern except for a slight dip in offense in his second year with Minnesota. 

Yes, as a Canuck fan, those kind of thoughts will linger on. 

I think the big difference here is Vanek's relationship (and chemistry) with Brock.  It seems to me, that V has taken a mentoring role with Boes and (along with being line mates) his game is skyrocketing. I'm thinking he hasn't been this excited about the game of hockey in a long time.

Whether that outweighs his consideration to join a contending team; nobody knows.

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Their line's performance was a real treat. IMHO it does not change the timeline this club has. The Twins have a series of strong games and fans call for them to be resigned. At some point Benning has to decide how many vets he carries on his roster and how many spots to develop prospects and young players. Combine that assessment with potential draft picks that might be garnered for moving some vets. I am hoping that Vanek has a great season and that Benning can move him for a 1st or 2nd Round pick. As much as many fans think the Van prospect depth is deep I do not share that belief. 2018 is a deep draft and Vancouver has to cash in.  

If a team is willing to trade a king's ransom for Vanek, then by all means trade him.  But if the return was just a 3rd rounder or even less... it may be better to just retain him.  

Considering that Vanek has only been average in the post-season, and he only got a 3rd rounder plus a fringe defenseman during last season, his return probably won't be much this year either, unless Vanek keeps up his current pace.  

If the Sedins retire or if Eriksson gets moved, then they should keep Vanek around.  There's only enough room for 3 older forward vets on the team (guys like Gagne and Sutter are in their prime now).... Henrik, Daniel, Loui, Thomas.  I can understand keeping the Sedins as they are the Sedins, I got no problem if they stay.  That boils down to Vanek or Eriksson... Vanek does have the edge in terms of offence and contract, but Eriksson is good defensively but with a hefty contract.  

53 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, as a Canuck fan, those kind of thoughts will linger on. 

I think the big difference here is Vanek's relationship (and chemistry) with Brock.  It seems to me, that V has taken a mentoring role with Boes and (along with being line mates) his game is skyrocketing. I'm thinking he hasn't been this excited about the game of hockey in a long time.

Whether that outweighs his consideration to join a contending team; nobody knows.

It's also worth considering how long the line with Vanek and Brock will continue. What happens when Horvat and Baertschi return? What about if Pettersson is ready next year? I'm not sure if Vanek can count on playing with Brock long-term at all.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's also worth considering how long the line with Vanek and Brock will continue. What happens when Horvat and Baertschi return? What about if Pettersson is ready next year? I'm not sure if Vanek can count on playing with Brock long-term at all.

Vanek is great for Boeser, cannot imagine all that Brock is learning from him.  I was critical of the Vanek signing but was completely wrong about it.  He has been great.  

18 hours ago, Lancaster said:

If a team is willing to trade a king's ransom for Vanek, then by all means trade him.  But if the return was just a 3rd rounder or even less... it may be better to just retain him.  

Considering that Vanek has only been average in the post-season, and he only got a 3rd rounder plus a fringe defenseman during last season, his return probably won't be much this year either, unless Vanek keeps up his current pace.  

If the Sedins retire or if Eriksson gets moved, then they should keep Vanek around.  There's only enough room for 3 older forward vets on the team (guys like Gagne and Sutter are in their prime now).... Henrik, Daniel, Loui, Thomas.  I can understand keeping the Sedins as they are the Sedins, I got no problem if they stay.  That boils down to Vanek or Eriksson... Vanek does have the edge in terms of offence and contract, but Eriksson is good defensively but with a hefty contract.  

You went thru the exercise that has to happen. If in fact Vanek-Gagner-Boeser can form a viable 2nd line by years end then perhaps the Twins can be retired. Still a couple of months to evaluate. Baer-Horvat-Virtanen/Ericksson on a line. Many options evolving on Virtanen's spot. the 3rd line anchored by Sutter with Gaunce-Ericksson/Virtanen; the 4th line: That is up in the air as it should be. Lots of prospects competing for spots.  

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

As of tonight, Vanek is now scoring at a higher rate than he did last season. Amazing, how he's improved as the season's gone on.

I was one of the few (it seemed) happy when he was signed but I was happy for the skill he brought as I thought some of the younger players could learn some of his tricks.   I was not prepared for the leadership and mentorship roles he seems to be playing.   I had no idea he was like that.   If the Canucks can move him for a decent pick or similar at deadline, that would only make sense but if the market is dead and nothing is out there it would not be horrible to have him around for another season as with the potential loss of the Sedins, he may have an important role to help the next generation get their bearings.    I see nothing from him that doesn't say "good guy for the team" written all over him.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was one of the few (it seemed) happy when he was signed but I was happy for the skill he brought as I thought some of the younger players could learn some of his tricks.   I was not prepared for the leadership and mentorship roles he seems to be playing.   I had no idea he was like that.   If the Canucks can move him for a decent pick or similar at deadline, that would only make sense but if the market is dead and nothing is out there it would not be horrible to have him around for another season as with the potential loss of the Sedins, he may have an important role to help the next generation get their bearings.    I see nothing from him that doesn't say "good guy for the team" written all over him.

Begs the question? Why is this his 7th team? The media guys all same the same thing of Thomas Vanek, great team guy, unselfish player, and yet he gets dealt so often. I think he really gets it, mentor the young guys, have them look up to you, the coaching staff notice this, thus he gets plenty of ice time. I really didn't realize he had this in his game. Would love to see him around and someone else dealt at the tdl, if, Gaudette makes an appearance in the spring.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Begs the question? Why is this his 7th team? The media guys all same the same thing of Thomas Vanek, great team guy, unselfish player, and yet he gets dealt so often. I think he really gets it, mentor the young guys, have them look up to you, the coaching staff notice this, thus he gets plenty of ice time. I really didn't realize he had this in his game. Would love to see him around and someone else dealt at the tdl, if, Gaudette makes an appearance in the spring.

When a player gets traded.... it either means the original team doesn't want him and/or the newer team really wants him.  

He is a proven player, thus all teams want him.  Yet he isn't in the top-tier elite player to build a franchise around and he's getting old, so many teams don't factor him into long-term planning.  While consistently productive, his playoff numbers aren't great.... so his TDL value is a tad low, but teams do believe that maybe this time is the charm.  

Vanek was first traded because Buffalo was heading to a new direction, he has already spent 8 seasons there.  He was in his prime and was traded for assets towards a rebuild.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Then he was traded from the Isles to Montreal.  A savvy move by the NYI, they get assets back and MTL gets a good player for the playoff push.  

Montreal have no room for him and he wanted to return to Minnesota where he played college hockey, to rejoin a few ex-Sabres, and I also believe his wife is from there too.  No red flags.

He got bought out by the Wild as they were up against the cap and his play did slip a bit.  A business move, IIRC there wasn't any animosity or player issues.

Then as a "middle-class" player, he had to sign a cheapo deal with the Red Wings, and as the Wings weren't going to be in the playoffs... he was traded to the Florida who was trying to make a push towards it.  He played all right, but when your new team don't reach the post-season, you kinda look bad.  

Once again as another UFA who is probably a 2nd line player now.... most teams already have their contracts in place for key players and the need to always transition to younger and cheaper players, he has to sign with Vancouver.  

Kinda similar to how Brendan Morrison has played for 8 different NHL teams.  Nobody will ever have anything bad to say about him, but sometimes when you start getting older and you're in the 6-9 spot forward, most teams just don't have the spot, money or term to sign you on.  

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

When a player gets traded.... it either means the original team doesn't want him and/or the newer team really wants him.  

He is a proven player, thus all teams want him.  Yet he isn't in the top-tier elite player to build a franchise around and he's getting old, so many teams don't factor him into long-term planning.  While consistently productive, his playoff numbers aren't great.... so his TDL value is a tad low, but teams do believe that maybe this time is the charm.  

Vanek was first traded because Buffalo was heading to a new direction, he has already spent 8 seasons there.  He was in his prime and was traded for assets towards a rebuild.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Then he was traded from the Isles to Montreal.  A savvy move by the NYI, they get assets back and MTL gets a good player for the playoff push.  

Montreal have no room for him and he wanted to return to Minnesota where he played college hockey, to rejoin a few ex-Sabres, and I also believe his wife is from there too.  No red flags.

He got bought out by the Wild as they were up against the cap and his play did slip a bit.  A business move, IIRC there wasn't any animosity or player issues.

Then as a "middle-class" player, he had to sign a cheapo deal with the Red Wings, and as the Wings weren't going to be in the playoffs... he was traded to the Florida who was trying to make a push towards it.  He played all right, but when your new team don't reach the post-season, you kinda look bad.  

Once again as another UFA who is probably a 2nd line player now.... most teams already have their contracts in place for key players and the need to always transition to younger and cheaper players, he has to sign with Vancouver.  

Kinda similar to how Brendan Morrison has played for 8 different NHL teams.  Nobody will ever have anything bad to say about him, but sometimes when you start getting older and you're in the 6-9 spot forward, most teams just don't have the spot, money or term to sign you on.  

That's not what happened in Montreal or Minnesota.  LeBrun says that his poor playoffs in Montreal is the reason why his trade value is low at the TDL.

Both Yeo and Torchetti scratched Vanek because he was not working hard enough.  There is more than enough coverage on how he was an ill fit on their team who is built on hard work.  Whenever things got tough he gave up.  There were some real harsh comments made on his playoffs and how he was not respecting the game plan.  

Archived