The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

The Canucks moved a guy (who I do like and had hopes he would get some time here) but likely didn't have a big future in Vancouver, and a 4th for an guy who was an 8th OA selection from a few years ago. Pretty much means that this trade for Pouliot cost the team a 4th and a contract swap. 

If things don't work out here for Pouliot, I suspect that the Canucks can likely trade him for a 4th. Maybe they lose a couple of positions in the draft, maybe they gain a few positions in the draft. No real harm done. All it will cost them at that time is a qualifying offer at the end of the season to keep Pouliot's NHL rights (I do believe he will be a RFA at that time, yes?).

If Pouliot plays better than he has in Pittsburgh, but doesn't want to stay here, then the Canucks may well be able to trade him for a pick higher than a 4th. If Pouliot plays significantly better than anticipated then the Canucks may well be able to trade him for a significant amount of assets (picks/prospects).

If Pouliot finds his game with the Canucks, and wants to stay here, well it only cost the team a 4th round pick and a contract swap for a guy who was drafted 8th OA. Not a bad pick up.

Pretty much break even, win or win with this deal.

regards,  G.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Pens were going to likely lose Polliot to waivers.  They got assets for him.  It's a win - win trade.  

Or they would have just taken the next best offer, we'll never know.

The point is if there's a young player out there he wants, he needs to pull the trigger, not sit and hope for the waiver pickup.

Hopefully this trade ends up more like the Granlund and Baertschi trade, and less like the Vey one.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Or they would have just taken the next best offer, we'll never know.

The point is if there's a young player out there he wants, he needs to pull the trigger, not sit and hope for the waiver pickup.

Hopefully this trade ends up more like the Granlund and Baertschi trade, and less like the Vey one.

its already better, its a 4th not a 2nd. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

no I'm lol'ing at you thinking Pedan>DP 

I never said Pedan was better than dp

that said he's done nothing to make him better either In the NHL 

Both are NHL ready prospects one provides depth and is in the farm because he cleared one was about to put on waivers and now will watch games from the press box because he most likely won't clear waivers hence the reason the Pitts gm traded him and got a 4th and a potential 5-8 NHL dman and current farm hand for instead of losing him for nothing.

Some think Pitts were idiots for not pickup pedan off the waiver wire but then he would be stuck in the NHL the deal was most likely made before he went on waivers and hinged on him clearing. 

They don't lose a player or draft pick. Vancouver can't say the same. 

Archived