The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Guddy had a solid game too.  He was able to handle lucic, hit him and took hits, and smirked at maroon a few times ( he would have pummelled him if it came down to it ) . Having a big strong kid like guddy back there provides intangibles that really don't get credited on the scoresheet.  People forget how young he is and that he still is improving. 

On the Oiler PP goal it looked like Guddy was caught watching the puck for a few seconds when it went behind the net, which left Dorsett stuck in no mans land between Strome and Nuge as they crashed the slot. Pretty sure that's the only thing I saw tonight that bothered me, and other than that brain fart looking play both of those guys played a great game.

I hope we have a healthy Gudbranson this season.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That hadn't occurred to me. Holy......&^@#......... Boeser needs to sub in for Baertschi. 

Now's the time. 

If only Tryamkin somehow decided to leave the KHL willingly.......

I'd like to see Burm out for Boeser, were playing an extra centre anyways? Henrik Horvat Granlund Sutter Gagne - I see room for a potential top 6 Calder calibre sniper, especially if the sedin line is playing 3rd line minutes!

Don't get me started on Tryamkin, I was going to get his Jersey for this season.

1 hour ago, b3. said:

Also what was up with Edler? Haven’t seen him so interested in years.

He was used properly by a proper coach. This is what you get when he's utilized effectively: A solid shutdown D that saved the game several times.

Vanek out - Boeser in.

No problem at all with the opening night lineup - it was obvious what Green was looking to do - but imo the weakest link in that lineup tonight was Vanek - which isn't surprising.  Wasn't disappointed with his performance - he wasn't bad, but imo he's the guy this team needs the least and his skillset is replaceable with Brock. 

Vanek out enables them to retain their two shutdown forward lines.  I liked the Burmistrov Gagner Virtanen line, but I'd be tempted to give Jake a shot with the Sedins (and keep the Sedin minutes down).

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Get a grip?   We wait all off season for hockey, hear all about McJesus, even in every commercial break, then manage to make him look average.   We're allowed to enjoy this game...that's kind of the point.

Deb. You’re doing all the heavy lifting here .I don’t know what kind of joyless place these clowns come from.

Life must be pretty sad if you can’t enjoy such a wonderful team effort.

Oh yeah, gotta look at the big picture, the eastern media say we suck, the Alberta media say we suck. Yada yada Yama. 

I don’t know why people come on this board to spout such negative crap.

Take your meds folks and enjoy the happiness and beauty of a fine effort 

.I am so stoked by tonight’s game. 

Go Camucks!

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I managed to get a seat for this game, here's what I noticed.

Virtanen was flying. He was all around the ice and continuing his preseason form. If he manages to keep this up throughout the season he'll show why he was drafted 6th overall.

Horvat was a beast per usual, he played a really heavy game.

Markstrom was great. He looked like a number one goalie.

Gagner was surprisingly good both offensively and defensively. He played a really complete game and hustled out there. You could tell he was still pissed at Kassian too because they kept going at each other.

It was also great to see Guddy send Lucic flying.

I always thought Gagner was capable of so much more than how the oilers utilized him

They wrecked him.imho

4 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I wanted Dorsett to be scratched.

Dorsett made me eat my words, happily....

9 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I don’t know if it was just me, or did Burmistrov look lost out there tonight?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Vanek out - Boeser in.

No problem at all with the opening night lineup - it was obvious what Green was looking to do - but imo the weakest link in that lineup tonight was Vanek ...

Watched the game late tonight on PVR. Lots of good comments in the PGT but I feel the need to record my observations.

OBVIOUS POINTS.

1. Horvat was great. Give McDavid credit. He tried to match Bo's performance but couldn't keep up.

2. The shutdown line of Sutter, Dorsett, and Granlund did a great job against the McDavid. No way we can call that line the "4th line". Dorsett deserved a lot of credit for his style of play and his quality of play, but Sutter and Granny were also very good playing shutdown and on the PK. This is certainly the right way to use Sutter and Dorsett.

3. After a disappointing first goal, Markstrom had an excellent game. The Canucks were outshot 35-26 tonight and Marky came up big.

OTHER POINTS.

4, The entire D was pretty good. Guddy made some mistakes and I was not in love with his play on the first Edmonton goal, but his physical presence was very valuable. Between Guddy and Dorsett (and Stecher ::D ) the Canucks were able to neutralize Lucic, Maroon, etc. Good to see Edler and Tanev back together (and they played well) and I thought the other pairings also worked. 

5. I still want to see Boeser in the lineup. I could go with @oldnews (Boeser instead of Vanek) or, along the lines of  @Dats hockey 's comment, would take Burmistrov out, shift Granlund to center and put Boeser in. Vanek and Burmistrov weren't bad, but I wouldn't say they were particularly good either and I would like to see Boeser get a chance to show what he can do.

6. As most of CDC has been asking for, Green cut back the Sedins' ice time. I personally would have no problem with them getting 12 or 13 minutes a night. The certainly look slow out there, but they did generate some chances, especially on the PP.

Archived