The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You mean the stick grab on Granlund? Yeah, Lucic is slowly becoming a complete coward. He's going to be a total anchor for Deadmonton in a couple of seasons. 

Becoming?  The garbage that goof pulled in Boston wasn't enough to show you that he has absolutely zero respect for the sport?

31 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I guess it's too late for Sedins to take lessons from Bo's skating coach.

I think when we get some calls against us we are quick to vilify the officials. I thought they were very fair and I don't mind the new rules so far. I noticed many older players are the ones who still take swings at hands. If it cuts down on broken fingers and wrist injuries, then I'm all for it.

What an exciting game. Wow!!!!! Happy happy joy joy.

Agreed..I felt the zebras were consistent tonite. Our boys effort drew the extra pp's..ratio was deserved.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A solid offensively gifted defenseman, who is no stranger to physicality. A perfect partner for Gudbranson. 

I was a little worried about the idea of Hutton-Stecher, but it seemed to be a pretty solid balance allowing MDZ and Guddy. Just one game but so far so good. 

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lost in the shuffle of all of this was with all the special teams, Jake Virtanen only logged 7 and a half minutes tonight, and only 9 seconds on special teams (PK).  Only one game, but gotta find ways to get him involved in more minutes, and from the looks of it, possibly on special teams such as the PK.

I actually really like the idea of having Jake on a third pair of PK forwards, or perhaps even rotating in every second time the centre is out there. For example, sutter-dorsett, Granlund-Eriksson, Horvat-(Baer...?) But Jake takes Baertschi's spot every second time Bo's out there. Gives us a real threat on turnovers. Also, if McLellan can put Zack Kassian out on there on a unit that is typically reserved for players who understand positioning and possess atleast average IQ, we can put Jake there as well. If you missed it, I'm infering that Big Kass is a bit of a cognitive lightweight, as evidenced by the perpetual look of amazement/confusion on his face, despite the fact that I'm thrilled he's found a good role on a great team. Jake, while not possessing anything remotely close to high-end hockey intelligence, is smarter than Kassian, and that role could be a great way to get him a few extra shifts and keep him sharp during games. I honestly don't mind his ice time tonight - ideally for me he's getting 10-12, mostly in the first two periods, and maybe 3-4 in the third while he proves he can be depended on. 

TL;DR - I like Jake. 

Just now, Trebreh said:

I feel this is going to be a breakout season for Horvat offensively.

He came out of the gate slow last season and was still a top point getter. He came out flying this season. Looks like a defining season for him.

I managed to get a seat for this game, here's what I noticed.

Virtanen was flying. He was all around the ice and continuing his preseason form. If he manages to keep this up throughout the season he'll show why he was drafted 6th overall.

Horvat was a beast per usual, he played a really heavy game.

Markstrom was great. He looked like a number one goalie.

Gagner was surprisingly good both offensively and defensively. He played a really complete game and hustled out there. You could tell he was still pissed at Kassian too because they kept going at each other.

It was also great to see Guddy send Lucic flying.

Dorsett is 1st star for me, as much as I love Bo and believe that he will be a 1st line center and have 70+points this season, Dorsett played an important role. Majority of players would be kissing McDavid's ass but Dorsett is one of the few players that isn't afraid to throw a hit on McDavid, or piss him off. That Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett line is brilliant. I'm going to keep it real, I was worried with Green's lines but they were actually solid. 

In in my opinion that line should play against all top lines. I want to see Dorsett against Gaudreau's line lol.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Talbot is a worry.   McDavid played 25ish minutes and had two shots.

vancouver may not make the playoffs but a bunch of teams may watch the video of this game to get an idea how to make the Oilers looks more average

I was wondering what your take on Talbot would be. If he isn't stellar EDM has some serious issues. Seems crazy to me to expect him to play 70 games again, seems like too much work.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was a little worried about the idea of Hutton-Stecher, but it seemed to be a pretty solid balance allowing MDZ and Guddy. Just one game but so far so good. 

I really think this was done to have both the young guys on the third pairing together, and tonight it looked great. Maybe one or two tough shifts in the d-zone, and I distinctly remember them skating into each other twice as well, but otherwise kept things simple. Love Stecher's poise - makes life easier for the whole five man unit on the ice when he can fake a ringer around the boards, turn on a dime, and just skate away from his forechecker.

40 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Man, Bo is unreal.

During the breakdown where they described McDavid as "the Usain Bolt of Hockey", I'm like "FFS Horvat was 2 km/h slower", the difference is McDavid got to 40 km/h shortly before the Calgary net. Horvat was 38 km/h at center ice.

And that power move. Once Horvat perfects that shifty outside-inside move he tries so often, I think we're going to have a very VERY special player on our hands. Speed, Skill, Grit. No BS down to business attitude but still loves to have fun.

Bo knows!

Archived