The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a #1 goalie...

Matt_T83

15 minutes ago, nickels said:

It's not a stretch to say that this is probably the worst goaltending tandem in the history of our franchise

Disagree completely.

Bob Essensa and Felix Potvin. (/Kevin Weeks)

Garth Snow, Corey Hirsch (/Kevin Weeks)

Alex Auld and... Nobody.

Your memory is short. These two are nowhere *near* the worst we've ever had.

Just now, 10pavelbure96 said:

He inherited a tire fire full of ntc.  He is not without mistakes but Scotty and Stan bowman couldn't save this team 

Its the topic in another thread ....but you and I have completely different interpretations of the word "great"

7 minutes ago, nickels said:

Its the topic in another thread ....but you and I have completely different interpretations of the word "great"

Not only has he filled the prospect cupboard he filled our roster with players from years where the old regimes completely botched their drafts. How did you think we would remain competitive lol??? This team lives and dies with the Sedins and their cap space. Can't fault jb on that.

Just now, 10pavelbure96 said:

Not only has he filled the prospect cupboard he filled our roster with players from years where the old regimes completely botched their drafts. How did you think we would remain competitive lol??? This team lives and dies with the Sedins and their cap space. Can't fault jb on that.

Totally disagree....

Giving him the benefit of the doubt....calling it an average job is being generous.

Filling the cupboards with average players that will never be part of a Stanley Cup contender is not a great job...

Whether his hands have been tied or not....no one outside the city of Vancouver would call it a great job.

I would give Markstrom a month to sort out his game and hopefully that he would plug a few softies that he allowed so far before jumping the gun.  We have Demko playing out of his mind in AHL and he would be first call-up if he keeps it up with his play until Christmas or as soon there's any injury to our goaltender.  We should see him no sooner either January 2018 or September 2018.  Either way, we will be fine if Markstrom is able to fix those weakness.  

56 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I don't necessarily think Markstrom is going to be a top 5 goalie in this league, but don't forget that a goalie by the name of Marc-Andre Fleury who has had multiple all-star appearances and won 2 cups (2015-16 was all Murray so I'm not counting it) also had an entire playoff series in the low .800's for save percentage. Goalie's, even great ones, have bad stretches.

Markstrom is probably not the long term solution to our goaltending, Demko or DiPietro most likely is, but it's too early to be giving a verdict. 

typical of cdc. He played well in the first 3 games, and its A big transition to being A #1. how about we give him at least 20-30 games till we lynch this guy. Before today his gaa was 2 and his sp was I think 945. I recall plenty of games last year where Miller gave up 5 goals. People need to relax A bit What bothers me more is that Jake wasn't playing.

1 hour ago, Matt_T83 said:

With all due respect to Markstrom, he's at best a top tier backup goalie.

.906 Lifetime save percentage does not make a top tier backup goalie.  He's lucky that he's even still in the NHL.

I've never been a Markstrom fan, but I absolutely am infatuated with Demko and I am also high on DiPietro. 

This season is going to hurt, but it helps knowing that there are 2 very good young goalies in the pipeline.

We've been blessed with top tier goaltending that people forget how god awful our goaltending was before.  Now its average or slightly below.  Just look at some of the starting goalie save percentages early this year some of them are pretty sad.  Defending is pretty poor to start the season for most teams.  It will start to work itself out after 10 games.  No one thinks Markstrom is a Vezina candidate so.  I mean we could have had Niemi or Lehtonen lol

Anderson 0.880 SV%

Talbot 0.896

Jones 0.881

Luongo 0.905

Markstrom 0.902

The only thing above is most of those teams can outscore their early defending/goaltending problems we cant.  

Archived