The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a #1 goalie...

Matt_T83

With all due respect to Markstrom, he's at best a top tier backup goalie. I'd rate him in the bottom 5 of starting goalies in the NHL right now. It's obviously early in the season, 4 games in. He could have a hot streak later on and make me look like a fool.

And I feel the team is playing not badly. We're doing alright on faceoffs and we're not getting outshot. Despite this Markstrom has back to back low 800 save % numbers... completely unacceptable for a starting goalie in the NHL.

Markstrom was the worst player on either team tonite.

Have been saying in here for months/yrs....he is not a starting goalie in this league.

Never has been, isn't now and never will be.

Nor is Nillson....

That our management group could not see what was so obvious, inspires even less confidence in them than our goaltending.

I don't necessarily think Markstrom is going to be a top 5 goalie in this league, but don't forget that a goalie by the name of Marc-Andre Fleury who has had multiple all-star appearances and won 2 cups (2015-16 was all Murray so I'm not counting it) also had an entire playoff series in the low .800's for save percentage. Goalie's, even great ones, have bad stretches.

Markstrom is probably not the long term solution to our goaltending, Demko or DiPietro most likely is, but it's too early to be giving a verdict. 

This was obvious going into the season.  We aren't contenders and the goalies we do have are buying time for the real prospects, who are still in junior/AHL.  There is zero sense in using assets to get a slight upgrade (teams with #1 goalies won't want to trade them) in order to pick a couple spots lower in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I don't necessarily think Markstrom is going to be a top 5 goalie in this league, but don't forget that a goalie by the name of Marc-Andre Fleury who has had multiple all-star appearances and won 2 cups (2015-16 was all Murray so I'm not counting it) also had an entire playoff series in the low .800's for save percentage. Goalie's, even great ones, have bad stretches.

Markstrom is probably not the long term solution to our goaltending, Demko or DiPietro most likely is, but it's too early to be giving a verdict. 

The huge difference being Markstrom has never had a successful stretch as a starting goalie.

It's not a stretch to say that this is probably the worst goaltending tandem in the history of our franchise

4 minutes ago, nickels said:

The huge difference being Markstrom has never had a successful stretch as a starting goalie.

It's not a stretch to say that this is probably the worst goaltending tandem in the history of our franchise

It is, however, a stretch to make such a claim four games into an 82-game season.

Archived