The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not a time to panic. (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

I don't know but I don't think these aging vets were brought in to stay - they are a temporary holding spot until  the kids can replace them - and hopefully we get something back in return for them.

This is what a rebuild looks like - painful time but some of us have been around for it before and it doesn't happen overnight. I hope owners are onboard  because I like the looks of the prospects coming up - a couple of big pieces still missing  but maybe this will be the draft year to change that.  I want to see Linden and Benning finish this rebuild

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I don't think most are panicking at all, this word is so overused it's ridiculous. I think a lot of fans are just tired of management lying to them! Most people don't want the wool being pulled over their eyes and will not support a company that constantly lies to them. They are showing this with their wallets and attendance. 

I think they are showing that they don't like watching a team that isn't all that good and lose a lot of games.

Panic is too strong a word, extreme concern might be closer.

Concern for paying money for lip service and out right lies.

Concern that management considers the fans base as ignorant, gullible and nothing more than rubes to be fleeced of their money.

Panic makes it seem that the team is too important to the individual, it is just a game and for management money is the measure of success not wins or loses.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think they are showing that they don't like watching a team that isn't all that good and lose a lot of games.

I think Vancouver hockey fans are pretty smart and this could have all been avoided if Canucks management would have just come out in the first place and said "we half to rebuild, we will be drafting and signing young players but there will be some pain for awhile, so we are going to lower all seat tickets 25% until we are competitive again!

We hope you come to the games and watch the young guns and support the team while we begin our journey to the Stanley Cup !

If they did that, I believe the fans would all still be going to games and supporting the team. They didn't to that... they lied instead.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no its not, but neither is being annoyed at that anemic PP. but lets keep running that same old core 1st unit out there.... 

I said before the season started that the twins need to see reduced PP (and 5v5) time. I still hold to that...though it's not like the 2nd unit is doing any better either.

But they do need the play time to become better at it, which is why I wanted/want the twins time reduced.

But people need to be realistic. They're a rebuilding (AKA not good) team where the key youth is largely not even it's prime yet (or not even on the team yet) and some 37 year old, old core players and a bunch of fillers holding down the fort until the kids start coming on line. We're not going to have a good PP no matter who we throw out there, or in what combination. Poor teams don't have good PP's.

Especially considering we still don't have a PP QB Dman. Maybe Pouliot becomes that guy or Stecher or we draft Dahlin or... regardless, a good PP is still a couple years off IMO.

But that doesn't mean we can't do better, especially than what we saw the other night were we couldn't even gain the zone on a 5 on 3. That crap was embarrassing.

I don't see a lot of panic.  I think that is just a way for some fans to dismiss the very legitimate concerns and criticisms of some of the moves management and coaching make. Even when the team was top of the league, there was lots of this kind of banter and there always will be.

As has been posted, the fans feel that management has been disingenuous in describing their plans in saying one thing yet appearing to do something else.  The fans bought into the idea of getting younger, faster and more exciting and were willing to suffer through that.  TO some extent that is happening but we are still largely being made to watch the same "old" dog and pony show of the old core plus a few hired gun vets trying to carry the team. 

The team needs new leadership, the fans want new leadership but so far, the vets still call the shots and get the free pass.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As, I read certain posts throughout CDC, I see a certain amount of concern, with a fair amount of members wanting to make trades and thinking that Benning has made a mistake by signing the veterans he has..........

I see it as a plan to just get through the next couple of years without having to subject too many of his prospects to the pain of a rebuild, and one that keeps them on the farm as long as they can be kept there.

Think about it, on the farm they play a level up from junior or Europe, they get tested and they succeed....this is good for their development. And in fact, having looked at the current line up. I regrettably feel, it might not be such a bad idea to send Broeser and Virtanen back down to the Comets, until after the TDL, for development and sheltering purposes.

This would ensure, better chemistry with our younger prospects, and would keep them away, from what is looking to be another bottom placing finish..........The Comets of course would be banging on all cylinders, and would be building chemistry and learning success.........then once making the decision to keep the kids on the farm, bring them up one by one for injury replacement, and let them play 2 or 3 games up before sending them back down and bringing another one up

On the other side of this would be the Canucks, who would have a veteran laden team, and one that looks to be a bottom placed team, expectation would be low, and this would allow Benning to be in a position to move players at the deadline, without fan rage..........

Canidates for the TDL could be.............

Baertschi, Vanek, Dorsett, Sutter, Edler, Hutton, DelZotto, Tanev, Gagner and Gudbranson, Markstrom. and Eriksson if at all possible

This is not a challenge to trade them all, or even most, but to prepare the team for the onslaught of young players, that indeed will be coming up in the next several years..... this rebuild will take a couple more years, of drafting and signings, and will require veteran players to be moved to make room.

So for now, lets move the young guys who can go back to the farm, back,  and replace with vets, play the season up to the TDL to assess and develop players into valuable assets, keep those veterans that will fit into the rebuild and move those veterans that can be replace in the summer through the draft, promotion or other free agency at the TDL

As of right now, I would suggest not panicking and not screaming for the rookies........I honestly think their development is better served in the minors at this point......

Lets stay calm! 

Just for the record, I would be keeping Sutter, Del Zotto, Tanev, and Gunbranson, as all bring a different elements to the team

The rest are replaceable!

We need "ELITE" youth in our prospect pool, and in our line-up.  I really don't care how JB accomplishes that end, but it's CLEARLY needed if our rebuild will be a good team when complete.

Funny how you don't mention Goldobin.

Goldy doesn't need any more AHL time. He has proven he can handle the AHL quite well.

50 points in 53 AHL games over the last 2 years.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I see it as a plan to just get through the next couple of years without having to subject too many of his prospects to the pain of a rebuild, and one that keeps them on the farm as long as they can be kept there.

Why should we keep a guy like him on the farm for as long as possible?

The only reason we can't play him, is because we signed too many vets.

He is NHL ready......

If we play Boeser in the AHL as you recommended, the same thing would most likely happen. 

9 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't see a lot of panic.  I think that is just a way for some fans to dismiss the very legitimate concerns and criticisms of some of the moves management and coaching make. Even when the team was top of the league, there was lots of this kind of banter and there always will be.

As has been posted, the fans feel that management has been disingenuous in describing their plans in saying one thing yet appearing to do something else.  The fans bought into the idea of getting younger, faster and more exciting and were willing to suffer through that.  TO some extent that is happening but we are still largely being made to watch the same "old" dog and pony show of the old core plus a few hired gun vets trying to carry the team. 

The team needs new leadership, the fans want new leadership but so far, the vets still call the shots and get the free pass.

Other than a few kids whom are already on the team, the rest simply aren't ready yet. No amount of wishing by fans changes that. The Sedins are immovable and this is likely their last year IMO.

The change is coming but it doesn't and can't happen overnight. People will just have to be patient for the kids to actually develop, old farts to retire, tradeable vets to be traded and more kids to be drafted.

That was never all happening this year.

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I said before the season started that the twins need to see reduced PP (and 5v5) time. I still hold to that...though it's not like the 2nd unit is doing any better either.

But they do need the play time to become better at it, which is why I wanted/want the twins time reduced.

But people need to be realistic. They're a rebuilding (AKA not good) team where the key youth is largely not even it's prime yet (or not even on the team yet) and some 37 year old, old core players and a bunch of fillers holding down the fort until the kids start coming on line. We're not going to have a good PP no matter who we throw out there, or in what combination. Poor teams don't have good PP's.

Especially considering we still don't have a PP QB Dman. Maybe Pouliot becomes that guy or Stecher or we draft Dahlin or... regardless, a good PP is still a couple years off IMO.

But that doesn't mean we can't do better, especially than what we saw the other night were we couldn't even gain the zone on a 5 on 3. That crap was embarrassing.

John Garett had it right yesterday - they asked him on 650 what the issue is with the PP and he put it perfectly: "too many passers"

How do you solve that? Hank on unit 1, Danny on unit 2. Seems pretty easy to try and its beyond time to try it. But yet there it is. I don't get it, if they weren't twins it would have been done long ago, but someone in management is clinging to something. 

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other than a few kids whom are already on the team, the rest simply aren't ready yet. No amount of wishing by fans changes that. The Sedins are immovable and this is likely their last year IMO.

The change is coming but it doesn't and can't happen overnight. People will just have to be patient for the kids to actually develop, old farts to retire, tradeable vets to be traded and more kids to be drafted.

That was never all happening this year.

Any of us fans who have been with this team from the beginning cannot be referred to as "impatient".  Frustrated or unreasonable, I can get behind as death appears to be approaching faster than a cup.

Sedins can't be moved but it doesn't mean they should get a free pass when their performance is abysmal while Bo gets called out for one "average" game and is demoted because of it.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

John Garett had it right yesterday - they asked him on 650 what the issue is with the PP and he put it perfectly: "too many passers"

How do you solve that? Hank on unit 1, Danny on unit 2. Seems pretty easy to try and its beyond time to try it. But yet there it is. I don't get it, if they weren't twins it would have been done long ago, but someone in management is clinging to something. 

Would it help? Maybe.

Is it going to be night and day? Not IMO.

I'd be shocked if we got above 20th in the league for PP even if they improve it. We simply aren't good enough and don't have the (ready) personnel yet. 

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes he has. What he hasn't proven is being competent enough away from the puck at the NHL level.

So...we have Loui Eriksson who has proven he is very capable away from the puck but can't even generate shot attempts.  ON a team that can't score, perhaps Goldy is a more valuable asset than Eriksson?  Defense can be taught but offensive effectiveness is largely talent and a "gift" some players have.  The Nucks have been consistent in parking their offensive players in the AHL for defensive deficiencies whilst promoting defensively effective players who can't produce offense.  The team offensive numbers and the PP tell you all you need to know about how that has worked. 

If Goldy is truly as offensively gifted as it appears, I would prefer to see him brought up and told to score goals while they teach him the defensive side of the game...you know, shelter him like they Sedins have been their entire careers.  Winnipeg did it with Laine and it seems to have worked.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Any of us fans who have been with this team from the beginning cannot be referred to as "impatient".  Frustrated or unreasonable, I can get behind as death appears to be approaching faster than a cup.

Sedins can't be moved but it doesn't mean they should get a free pass when their performance is abysmal while Bo gets called out for one "average" game and is demoted because of it.

Yeah, yeah...decades of misery...blah, blah, blah. I live in the present, you should try it.

As for the bolded, that's being MASSIVELY overblown by our garbage media (surprising literally no one). Bo had an average game, he does need to play better. Especially if he hopes to carry the mantle. 

The twins are what they are. I honestly don't know why people waste time complaining about them :lol:

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, yeah...decades of misery...blah, blah, blah. I live in the present, you should try it.

As for the bolded, that's being MASSIVELY overblown by our garbage media (surprising literally no one). Bo had an average game, he does need to play better. Especially if he hopes to carry the mantle. 

The twins are what they are. I honestly don't know why people waste time complaining about them :lol:

Our past experiences is what shapes who we are.  You should try it or perhaps you prefer to forget yours?

Archived