The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not a time to panic. (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

As, I read certain posts throughout CDC, I see a certain amount of concern, with a fair amount of members wanting to make trades and thinking that Benning has made a mistake by signing the veterans he has..........

I see it as a plan to just get through the next couple of years without having to subject too many of his prospects to the pain of a rebuild, and one that keeps them on the farm as long as they can be kept there.

Think about it, on the farm they play a level up from junior or Europe, they get tested and they succeed....this is good for their development. And in fact, having looked at the current line up. I regrettably feel, it might not be such a bad idea to send Broeser and Virtanen back down to the Comets, until after the TDL, for development and sheltering purposes.

This would ensure, better chemistry with our younger prospects, and would keep them away, from what is looking to be another bottom placing finish..........The Comets of course would be banging on all cylinders, and would be building chemistry and learning success.........then once making the decision to keep the kids on the farm, bring them up one by one for injury replacement, and let them play 2 or 3 games up before sending them back down and bringing another one up

On the other side of this would be the Canucks, who would have a veteran laden team, and one that looks to be a bottom placed team, expectation would be low, and this would allow Benning to be in a position to move players at the deadline, without fan rage..........

Canidates for the TDL could be.............

Baertschi, Vanek, Dorsett, Sutter, Edler, Hutton, DelZotto, Tanev, Gagner and Gudbranson, Markstrom. and Eriksson if at all possible

This is not a challenge to trade them all, or even most, but to prepare the team for the onslaught of young players, that indeed will be coming up in the next several years..... this rebuild will take a couple more years, of drafting and signings, and will require veteran players to be moved to make room.

So for now, lets move the young guys who can go back to the farm, back,  and replace with vets, play the season up to the TDL to assess and develop players into valuable assets, keep those veterans that will fit into the rebuild and move those veterans that can be replace in the summer through the draft, promotion or other free agency at the TDL

As of right now, I would suggest not panicking and not screaming for the rookies........I honestly think their development is better served in the minors at this point......

Lets stay calm! 

Just for the record, I would be keeping Sutter, Del Zotto, Tanev, and Gunbranson, as all bring a different elements to the team

The rest are replaceable!

This isn't time for the Canucks to panic.  We were predicted to be in the basement of the league this year and if we're playing a more entertaining up tempo style of game I'm happy.  Edmonton on the other hand has a worse record than we do, has an injured star making 7 million a year and they were predicted to compete for a Stanley Cup.  If you're an Oiler fan panic is a more reasonable response to the start of the season than for a Canuck fan.

I don't think most are panicking at all, this word is so overused it's ridiculous. I think a lot of fans are just tired of management lying to them! Most people don't want the wool being pulled over their eyes and will not support a company that constantly lies to them. They are showing this with their wallets and attendance. 

The only folks panicking are the one that though this team was going to be anything other than a bottom feeder. 

If the plan 4 years ago was to stay competative and bring the young guys up in a winning environment then it's been a total failure. 

Like the PP maybe the plan needs to be adjusted because what they are doing isnt working and it's driving fans away the empty building is proof.

The only one that should be panicking is JIm Benning when the national broadcast points out how many empty seats there are owners start to feel it not only in the wallets but in there pride and start to ask.

If coaches have been changed,players have been changed,and  the results the same who left,who assemble it?

23 minutes ago, combover said:

The only folks panicking are the one that though this team was going to be anything other than a bottom feeder. 

If the plan 4 years ago was to stay competative and bring the young guys up in a winning environment then it's been a total failure. 

Like the PP maybe the plan needs to be adjusted because what they are doing isnt working and it's driving fans away the empty building is proof.

The only one that should be panicking is JIm Benning when the national broadcast points out how many empty seats there are owners start to feel it not only in the wallets but in there pride and start to ask.

If coaches have been changed,players have been changed,and  the results the same who left,who assemble it?

You put your finger on my fear. Owners will make a management change in the middle of rebuild to allay media criticism and attempt to refill the Rog. If the team does not have results in 20/21, then fire away. Otherwise, let the architects build their destiny. I am a longer term optimist. Instant rebuilds no longer work in the NHL, thanks to Edmonton.

16 minutes ago, combover said:

You put you finger on my fear. Owners will make a management change in the middle of rebuild to allay media criticism and attempt to refill the Rog. If the team does not have results in 20/21, then fire away. Otherwise, let the architects build their destiny. I am a longer term optimist. Instant rebuilds no longer work in the NHL, thanks to Edmonton.

21 minutes ago, combover said:

I think there's more to that than wins and losses. The way a vet conducts himself during a rough season likely has a lot of value for the young players we've has the last few seasons. 

The owners should know that building a team takes a long time, and that we began with next to no-one in our system. As long as Aquilini is on board with rebuilding, and he must be, I don't think JB has any reason to panick yet.

Seriously. What's there to panic about?!?!?!?!??

That we don't have enough depth when there's injury?

That we've unproven goaltending?

That we've got aging Sedins?

That our Virtanens and Boesers will be mis-managed?

That we wont get to the playoffs?

That we'll suck so bad we make panic threads in CDC?

It's still early in the season. Wait till Christmas..........

The issue with sending more guys down to Utica tho is we already have too many guys there already (i.e. unmovable veterans) so sending Brock down makes little sense to me. IMO its better for him to stay up here with NHL level competition and work on his defensive skills. i don't care how many goals Brock gets this year, thats the least of my concerns with his game. Same with Jake, he's clearly got the physical skills, he needs to figure out how to bring it every day up here.

As far as "panic" goes, I don't know if I'd call it that vs having to watch the same frustrating PP for 3 years in a row generating a lot of annoyance. Its obvious what needs to happen but we have a culture on the team that prevents trying all combinations and making hard decisions, and thats not the fault of any player, its management. 

31 minutes ago, combover said:

Only people I see panicking are the same, generally reactionary and panicky fans as always.

We're a rebuilding team. We're not going to have a top 10 PK, PP, goal tending or wins or whatever it is CDC is panicking about today.

People have been clamoring for a rebuild, well this is it folks. Rebuilding teams aren't very good. You can either realize that and be patient as the youth cavalry slowly arrives over the next 2+ years.... or you can continue to run around screaming about every little thing like a bunch of loons :frantic:

The team will be fine.

Meaning that they should provide some entertaining games this season.

There are some problems - mainly the fact that the coach wants to play an up-tempo attacking style, which I really really like and enjoy watching, but the team has a lot of slower forwards.  Also we are not very far along in our half-hearted rebuild, and don't have the young players available to slot in that would be a lot faster.  Another 3-5 years probably before the team is close to competing for a playoff spot:  The canucks are proof that signing a bunch of older players doesn't help a rebuild!  (who would have guessed that???)

There is some awesome potential:  Horvat is really coming into his own, and is super fun to watch.  Virtanen looks to be a real NHL player, and Boeser looks great.  These are the 3 most exciting players right now and give the fans a reason to watch games... I don't understand why they can't all play in the same game... but I guess that is because we are not rebuilding?  We have also made some great draft picks, I really like Pettersson and LInd and Gadjovich seem like they have some great exciting potential.  I just wish this sort of drafting could have happened when JB first got here - he traded away all the second round picks to fill the roster with older stable players who have a relatively low ceiling compared to the players he could have drafter (safe, but not exciting).

So the only reason to panic is if you expected the canucks to make the playoffs and win a SC in the next few years.  I don't think anyone expects this.  Really we have to give the team time to go through the re-tool / rebuild, or whatever it is.   Basically we have to wait for the older players JB traded for to get pushed out of the lineup, then we will have a team that can compete.  And we have to win a draft lottery.  Winning a draft lottery in the right year is the only way we will ever win a SC.  So be glad we are at the bottom for a bit, as this is the only way we can eventually win.

Not going to panic.  My livelihood isn't directly impacted by the ebb and flow of pro hockey.  It's entertainment, and I can choose to watch or not.  Want to see the team slowly improving, hopefully will see that this year.  Not sure it makes sense to have Brock and Jake playing in Utica, they may not learn much there.  Would be great to see our powerplay improve from last year.  Trades...some I'd like to see made at some point but that takes two or more interested parties.  We can want to trade all we like, but if the player has a NMC they need to co-operate, and there needs to be a willing recipient that has the pieces to make the trade worthwhile.  I'd like to see more of Guddy before it's determined that he should be dealt.  I like what I've seen so far this year now that he's healthy.  I like what Sutter brings, he's a strong checking center that we don't seem to have much of in the system yet (that is ready to take over for him in that role.)   

7 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

The canucks are proof that signing a bunch of older players doesn't help a rebuild!  

How exactly are they hurting it? We do need to field a team and despite what some people think, the kids who are actually developed enough to be playing up here, are. The one's who aren't, are developing in Utica where they should be. It's the entire reason the team bought an AHL franchise!

And as those kids become ready and injuries open up spots for them to be tested for their readiness, we slowly move vets out for further rebuild assets. 

It's really not a complicated concept.

Archived