The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

Good game for the Canucks. Great effort, great goaltending, and sweet goals all around. A+ overall.

7 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Liking Burmistrov, Boeser and Baer together.

5 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Great to see the effort rewarded with a win! Boeser & Burmy each with 2 points, hmm...may have something going here?

My takeaways.

1. Nilsson did something in his first game that Markstrom has not yet achieved with the Canucks: record an NHL shutout. I think the contest for #1 is wide open.

2. Boeser and Burmi looked good, as did Baertschi. That line looked better with Burmi in the middle than it did with Bo.

3. It is not a question of "vets vs. kids". It is a question of playing the best players. And that means giving Boeser lots of ice time. Boeser leads the team in scoring (despite not playing 2 of the 5 games), led the team in scoring in the pre-season and was excellent in the last 9 games last year. He is a point a game player in the 17 games he has played (17 pts in those 17 games). No one else is close.  Still a fairly small sample, but not that small. 

4. Almost everyone likes the way Guddy looks out there. It nice to have a guy who is big, strong, cannot be pushed around or intimidated by anyone and makes tough guys on the other teams think twice about taking liberties. He is also very good on the PK and good on defensive positioning. He does not handle the puck well and is never going to provide any offence to speak of. But it is good to have a guy like that on what would otherwise be a very soft team.

5. Tanev was quietly good (again) and MDZ was good also. Hutton was better as well. The D gave up "only" 32 shots tonight despite leading on the scoreboard all night (making the other team shoot more)..

I was at the game tonight. Guys that stood out the most were Brock, Burmi, Nilsson, Tanev, Gudbranson, Horvat, Baer. Even Virtanen showed a lot of hustle  and Gagner seemed to be buzzing every shift.

Boeser was the best canuck on the ice. I was wearing my Bure jersey so I was noticeably the odd man out so I got a ton of questions and all I got from fans was about Brock. 

Burmi I was surprised how good he played with Baer and Brock. He’s a keeper. Speed and his offensive mind is very noticeable.

Nilsson was on fire in the first period and held his own the rest of the way.

I would have to say that Pouliet is garbage, he was clearly the worst defensman on the ice every shift and made some bad plays.

in person I haven’t seen the Sedins since last year when they came to Ottawa. They are definitely a step slower and it’s sad for me to say because I do love them...they need to be 3rd line and 2nd line PP. they just can’t keep up in most 5 on 5 situation (defensively and transition game). With the man advantage they can still do there thing.

Go Canucks! 

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That defense was impressive tonight. Hutton looked like a completely different player. Gudbranson was a warrior as usual. Tanev his smooth, brilliant self, Del Zotto a minute munching marvel. Stecher and Pouliot make a decent pairing to top it off. 

Take it easy, Edler. No rushing back now. 

he's not giving DP too much to handle either.... man if that pans out Jim's going to get the title of "Mr. Reclamation" 

19 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

The next three games are on SN360. Get ready for some piss poor TV ratings. Don't know one person who pays for that channel.

Yeah, but obviously the exact same MLB playoff game has to be shown on 2 SP channels.

/s

I don't have 360HD either, just the included SD which I will watch, however reluctantly. 

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hutton looked much more composed in this game. I think he played pretty well. 

Well don't get me wrong the Canucks need a player like him but they could really use the potential he shows flashes of... He went in deep a couple times and rather than drive it in or make a pass seemed to just lose the puck (in head scratching fashion as well) and it turned into odd man rushes... He was decent in his own zone.

2 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

Is Boeser already the Canucks best player?

Noooo!!! He has sssoooo much to learn. It will ssserve him well to watch from above.

Brock's fantastic but if Green reduces his minutes or, heaven forbid, sits him for a game I'll give the coach the benefit of the doubt.  

Just now, Texx said:

Well don't get me wrong the Canucks need a player like him but they could really use the potential he shows flashes of... He went in deep a couple times and rather than drive it in or make a pass seemed to just lose the puck (in head scratching fashion as well) and it turned into odd man rushes... He was decent in his own zone.

He wasn't perfect, but he has made a couple of steps up from the erratic, sloppy play he's had in the last couple of games. 

Archived