The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] what assets should Benning target in trades?

In your opinion, what type of assets should Benning target if he trades some of our vets?

>Draf picks

>Young prospects

>roster players

to give you some hypothetical examples, would you rather do:

Tanev for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins +

or

Tanev for Liljgren +

or

Tanev for a later 1st round pick +

you can can decide if more needs to be added to either side of each trade to make it happen, but the question is, which one of these trades would you be most happy with? 

Man this team has old players. This 27 year old veteran defenseman is dragging this team with his oldness. Can he even skate anymore with those degenerating hips? How can he hold his stick with the arthritis he has?

I'll keep him around thanks. We need some senior citizens on the team.

7 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Man this team has old players. This 27 year old veteran defenseman is dragging this team with his oldness. Can he even skate anymore with those degenerating hips? How can he hold his stick with the arthritis he has?

I'll keep him around thanks. We need some senior citizens on the team.

I’m just using Tanev as a hypothetical since he appears a lot in proposals. Who were trading isn’t the point of this, it’s more about what we should be looking to get back

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

I’m just using Tanev as a hypothetical since he appears a lot in proposals. Who were trading isn’t the point of this, it’s more about what we should be looking to get back

Tanev has been in proposals for the last 3-4 years and nothing has happened, either Benning wants too much or he likes Tanev a lot.. i think it's the latter.

Like Linden says, 'the Dahlen's, the Goldobins, the Pouliot's...."

I'd prefer to see prospects year +1 or +2 after their draft year than picks particularly D, but thats pretty hard to come by. 

I wouldn't want any roster players unless they just signed their bridge deals. 

On Tanev specifically he's so solid that it really needs to be a great deal, so if TO offered Liljegren and a 1st that would be in that category imo. 

The Canucks aren't in a desperate position this year so we don't need to fire sale any veterans. I doubt we can get another top 10 pick - none of the bad teams need a Tanev or Guddy e.g., so the chance of getting a high pick one of those is very very low (take AZ or COL e.g., they don't need Tanev and/or won't give up a high pick for him).

I think Jim can sit back and wait for calls this year and see what offers are presented. A lot is going to depend on the randomness of injuries on other teams. 

Would be nice to have a bonified future top pairing defenceman. Juolevi is far from future-elite and had a poor training camp but will still be a good top-4 guy. Pouliot could end up being anything but I still see him as a decent top-4 defenceman. Stecher and Hutton have taken a step back this season but will probably be bottom-3 defencemen. Subban is the wild-card of course.

With Juolevi and Pouliot on the left side, it would be nice to nab a top-pairing right handed defenceman. This would drop Stecher and Gudbranson down and slowly replace Tanev over time.

We've got plenty of assets.

Draft picks in rounds 1-4. Stock the cupboards fill the shelves. 

or draftyear +1. 

any unsigned ufa at the TDL should also be moved just like in years past this club cannot afford to let anyone (of any value) walk for free. 

horvat,boss,virt. Sedins Untouchables. Everone else for the right price. 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Draft picks in rounds 1-4. Stock the cupboards fill the shelves. 

or draftyear +1. 

any unsigned ufa at the TDL should also be moved just like in years past this club cannot afford to let anyone (of any value) walk for free. 

horvat,boss,virt. Sedins Untouchables. Everone else for the right price. 

Sometimes there's no choice. Vrbata e.g., admitted to giving a list he knew wouldn't want him. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sometimes there's no choice. Vrbata e.g., admitted to giving a list he knew wouldn't want him. 

Maybe don't ask two days before the deadline. It was reported and vrbata and hamhuis confirmed with one week till the deadline niether had been approached . Regardless of the what's happened in the  past benning seemed to have learned last season have guys prepared to move prior to the last second.

vrbata also said had he been approched earlier he would have waived his ntc but since his wife was due it added another wrinkle.

I understand what your saying thou if you give a player a contract with a NTC or MNC you've handcuffed yourself and they can rightfully choose to stay and walk away for free.

edler has made it very clear he will not waive. 

54 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would be nice to have a bonified future top pairing defenceman. Juolevi is far from future-elite and had a poor training camp but will still be a good top-4 guy. Pouliot could end up being anything but I still see him as a decent top-4 defenceman. Stecher and Hutton have taken a step back this season but will probably be bottom-3 defencemen. Subban is the wild-card of course.

With Juolevi and Pouliot on the left side, it would be nice to nab a top-pairing right handed defenceman. This would drop Stecher and Gudbranson down and slowly replace Tanev over time.

We've got plenty of assets.

This is what I view as well. When trading our vets (whether it’s vanek, gagner, edler, Tanev, sutter, etc. ) we should go for high profile 19-20 year olds. Mid round picks can be acquired as supplemental pieces (e.g. Hansen trade). 

Would be interest if TO is willing to spend that much for Tanev, but they are clearly in need for defensive help if the want a deep run this year and they have so much young talent that they might be willing to take the plunge. 

Just now, combover said:

Maybe don't ask two days before the deadline. It was reported and vrbata and hamhuis confirmed with one week till the deadline niether had been approached . Regardless of the what's happened in the  past benning seemed to have learned last season have guys prepared to move prior to the last second.

vrbata also said had he been approched earlier he would have waived his ntc but since his wife was due it added another wrinkle.

I understand what your saying thou if you give a player a contract with a NTC or MNC you've handcuffed yourself and they can rightfully choose to stay and walk away for free.

edler has made it very clear he will not waive. 

its the price you have to pay sometimes to get the player. Its worth it, particularly for a free agent that you didn't have to give up any assets for. Anything added at the end is gravy. I'm OK with Jim's approach, players appreciate it and I do think it will lead to us being able to sign quality free agents if they know that they will be treated well here. 

And honestly for a floater like Vrbata was in the playoffs what did we miss out on? I doubt there would have been any serious offers after that performance against Calgary. 

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

At deadline, Vanek = 2nd rounder, maybe a little more if he has a really strong year.

What about Vanek + a mid round pick or B prospect (brisbois or Subban or Lockwood or whatever) for a goldobin/Dahlen level prospect? Would that be better then just Vanek for a 2nd rounder?

Just now, Canadian Clay said:

What about Vanek + a mid round pick or B prospect (brisbois or Subban or Lockwood or whatever) for a goldobin/Dahlen level prospect? Would that be better then just Vanek for a 2nd rounder?

I believe this is supposed to be a reasonably deep draft. Personally, I think we've done a good job of accelerating a rebuild by adding guys like Goldobin, Dahlen, Granlund, etc., now we need guys that will be filtering into the lineup for years to come, not everyone trying to find a spot at the same time.

Considering how well Benning does in drafting past the 1st round, I'm completely okay with a 2nd. Maybe add something to get us up into the 1st round if that's an option.

Archived