The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers looking for scoring on the wing

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Defense + or Sutter ++

I know he's not lighting it up in the AHL yet but like Reinhart for the Oilers when they traded for him that draft spot is still going to hold high value

Vanek+Hutton+3rd? Something like that?

These are crazy proposals. While I understand that we are playing well and even by going sutter straight across for Pulvi would make us worse in the short term, and them better, it is still WAY under value for us to get him. That would be a really knee jerk reaction for this season along by the Oilers. As a Canucks fan, I am really enjoying how the team is playing and would like to see us fight for a playoff spot (hard to cheer for a us to be bad when we lose the lottery anyways). However, we would be crazy to not do a Sutter + trade for Pulvi. We would get worse right now, but even if we do continue playing like we do (which I am not totally sold we can do for a whole year), at best we make the playoffs but don't come close to contending for the cup. I want a cup in my lifetime and moves should be directed to that first. Pulvi brings us a much better chance to win a cup as he will come into his own. We would have him and Boeser as the top 2 RW of the future which can relax Virtanen to become a solid checking 3rd line RW. We would have Petterson and Horvat as our top 2 C of the future. That is much closer to an elite team than what we have now. Just because we have been so lucky to see talents of McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Laine come in and be stars as 18-19 year olds doesn't mean if you don't you can't be a star. Scheiffle took a while, Seguin, Giroux. Don't right Pulvi off.

All of this is moot anyways because the Oilers won't be silly enough to consider. It would probably have to be Tanev, 1st rounder next year and maybe a prospect for the Oilers to consider. 

On 01/11/2017 at 4:42 PM, Rush17 said:

are some of you suggesting Sutter and a b level prospect would net us pulvi?

maybe if sutter had a larger body of work but really?  is sutter supposed to play wing for them or c?  hes got some of our best faceoff #s well playing against top competition. 

i would be shocked if a team traded for him to play wing. what are you guys meaning by Sutter to Edmonton?  im trying to gain a better understanding of your thinking.

Title of thread.

[Rumour] Oilers looking for scoring on the wing

cdc..

How about Sutter or Hutton.

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

These are crazy proposals. While I understand that we are playing well and even by going sutter straight across for Pulvi would make us worse in the short term, and them better, it is still WAY under value for us to get him. That would be a really knee jerk reaction for this season along by the Oilers. As a Canucks fan, I am really enjoying how the team is playing and would like to see us fight for a playoff spot (hard to cheer for a us to be bad when we lose the lottery anyways). However, we would be crazy to not do a Sutter + trade for Pulvi. We would get worse right now, but even if we do continue playing like we do (which I am not totally sold we can do for a whole year), at best we make the playoffs but don't come close to contending for the cup. I want a cup in my lifetime and moves should be directed to that first. Pulvi brings us a much better chance to win a cup as he will come into his own. We would have him and Boeser as the top 2 RW of the future which can relax Virtanen to become a solid checking 3rd line RW. We would have Petterson and Horvat as our top 2 C of the future. That is much closer to an elite team than what we have now. Just because we have been so lucky to see talents of McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Laine come in and be stars as 18-19 year olds doesn't mean if you don't you can't be a star. Scheiffle took a while, Seguin, Giroux. Don't right Pulvi off.

All of this is moot anyways because the Oilers won't be silly enough to consider. It would probably have to be Tanev, 1st rounder next year and maybe a prospect for the Oilers to consider. 

No shot I'd trade Tanev + 1st + a prospect for an unproven NHL player whom isn't exactly lighting it up in the AHL either. What about if Pulv becomes a Yakapov? I think Pulv is a good prospect but he isn't an NHL player yet and he has a ways to go still. Tanev is a 27 year old #2 defenseman on any team in the NHL on the other hand. I would be heisitant to trade Tanev straight up for Pulv at this point. Frankly If the oilers were offered Tanev for Pulv given their current status and refused they'd be idiots which doesn't surprise me any bit anyhow. Taylor Hall, a proven first line winger in the NHL was traded for Adam Larrsson and imo Tanev and Larrsson are pretty damn close in value. I'd take a risk and trade Tanev for Pulv straight up at this point before Edmonton ruins him like they do with 95% of their prospects only because we're a rebuilding team, and we can take the time to let Pulv develop with our young core. Tanev is ready to contend for a cup and Edmonton needs a couple of pieces to get there as long as they have McDavid, Draisaitl they have a chance. Chirelli is one of the worst gm's in the league. He's looking for a scoring winger meanwhile he traded Hall and eberle. Then he trades a 1st, 33rd overall for G. Reinhart. He could've had barzal + too improve the offence. Then he signs a slug like Lucic to a ridiculous contract. What a dumb ass. I think edm needs to sure up their defence which in turn will help out Talbot and create more offence in the transition. They should focus on defence and let McDavid take care of the offence with whomever he has atm. I think their coach is overrated also and might be part of the problem. Anyways My offer to them would be Tanev if I were gm, but only before I had my scouts assess Pulv in the AHL first to see how he's progressing. If his value is still where it was when he was drafted and he has the ability to make the NHL as a top 6 winger in the not so distant future I'd pull the trigger. It's funny though in highldsight if edm would've taken Sergachev instead of Pulv considering how well he's doing, Pulv would've fell right into our laps. Then again they prob would've ruined Sergachev too. I just hate how Edmonton gets all of these potentially amazing talents and ruins them all. 

Chia pet came in with a literal gift from the gods in McJesus. And somehow with all that excess talent he couldn't manage to get a first pairing dman and a legit starter.

The defence is average, the goaltending is shotty, it's all on Mcdavid's shoulders now. Lucic can protect him :lol:

Benning seems to be the brains of the Bruins cup run.

5 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Chia pet came in with a literal gift from the gods in McJesus. And somehow with all that excess talent he couldn't manage to get a first pairing dman and a legit starter.

The defence is average, the goaltending is shotty, it's all on Mcdavid's shoulders now. Lucic can protect him :lol:

Benning seems to be the brains of the Bruins cup run.

Chia is a joke of a GM. Boston was lucky, healthy that whole playoff run (other than Horton being knocked into another dimension), and they had a really hot goalie in Tim Thomas. We should've destroyed them in the final, but we were decimated with injuries and Lu was hot and cold in the final. Plus the refs were a joke. If I could change anything about the final considering how everything played out before game 6 I wish AV put Corey in net instead of Lu. even though Lu played a fantastic game 5, he was shell shocked when he played in Boston. Corey is very fimiliar playing in that rink from his college days too. I truly believe Corey wins us that game or at least keeps it a little closer and we win the cup. If not that game Lu comes in for game 7 a little more rested/relaxed at home and we win. 

Could JB entice Chia to take on Loui's massive contract????

Part of me wants to just see Edmonton get handcuffed with all sorts of terrible contracts, so they just struggle to compete for years to come haha.

Plus we lose Loui's gross contract!  Doubt it would ever happen...but hey, Chia did trade for Loui once.  I'd even take a bag of pucks just to get rid of Loui's contract.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Could JB entice Chia to take on Loui's massive contract????

Part of me wants to just see Edmonton get handcuffed with all sorts of terrible contracts, so they just struggle to compete for years to come haha.

Plus we lose Loui's gross contract!  Doubt it would ever happen...but hey, Chia did trade for Loui once.  I'd even take a bag of pucks just to get rid of Loui's contract.

PC loved LE in BEAN TOWN & may think a new scene would turn Louie back into the 30 goal guy he was

So what bout Tavev or Hutton  &   LE (we keep salary) and a 3rd piece like Rodin/Subban 

For RNH & Jesse Puljujarvi 

Cause PC would be the only hope of off loading the LE contract :blush:

8 hours ago, Tower102 said:

i could see them come back with a sutter and granlund package for pulvi and a late pick.  in their shoes i wouldnt be quick to move pulvi.

So Edmonton gets a gift in McDavid, has a good season last year, and boom! They STILL need scoring with BOTH McDavid and RNH in their lineup?

Makes me angry. The Oilers are wasting away all the good young talent the NHL has with their awful trades and signings. They deserve to suck eternally! 

2 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

So Edmonton gets a gift in McDavid, has a good season last year, and boom! They STILL need scoring with BOTH McDavid and RNH in their lineup?

Makes me angry. The Oilers are wasting away all the good young talent the NHL has with their awful trades and signings. They deserve to suck eternally! 

I think the Oilers, as a team, rely too much on McDavid to be the 'guy' to produce offensively. I like the way Green has done so far with the Canucks rolling all four lines. We don't have a player to rely on and everyone has been contributing pretty much equally. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, Alflives said:

I don’t get how the Oilers can go from scoring a ton of goals to needing a scoring winger?

They traded one of their better play makers and players like Lucic and Moron over achieved.

42 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

This is what happens when you spend too much on two or three players. If they don't lead the way then you are screwed.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:14 AM, BabychStache said:

I don't get it. Why did they regress? That team was lethal last year, seemingly on the cusp of a deep run. Now they look old and slow. Is this a character building skid? Or was last season a fluke?

Looking at other young team leaders that have had success, they always had a grey beard to guide them. Honestly the Oilers may need get a Vet. Lucic doesn't seem to be that guy. 

Who are some 32+ yr old warriors? Iginla?

Three reasons and I am not a hockey genius but was in the camp over the summer that posted in predicting this:

• Talbot back to playing like Talbot versus way over his head and getting luck with the most posts in the league (last year he was something like 50 posts ahead of the next regular goalie or something like that - insane run of luck that couldn't sustain)
  • Poor mix of forward roles - too many slow and very fast players trying to play together - it doesn't work well
  • Dmen confused as to whether they are offensive minded first or not - a bunch of hybrid types that cannot quite figure out how to play

I figured Edmonton to dip 10 to 15 points but still eke into the playoff hunt down the stretch but as of now, they are showing that even a 20 point or more dip is possible.   When McD's contract kicks in next year they will have to shed at least two regulars and that will make it even tougher.   Lucic contract is an anchor - way worse than Canucks situation with LE.   Not a team I feel is set up for greatness even though no doubting how great McD is - hockey is team sport though and he cannot do it all alone.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:31 PM, Freaky Freak said:

PC loved LE in BEAN TOWN & may think a new scene would turn Louie back into the 30 goal guy he was

So what bout Tavev or Hutton  &   LE (we keep salary) and a 3rd piece like Rodin/Subban 

For RNH & Jesse Puljujarvi 

Cause PC would be the only hope of off loading the LE contract :blush:

Our defensive core would be brutal.

5 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Our defensive core would be brutal.

The idea, the thought of even thinking about trading Tanev hurts me physically and emotionally. And to trade Tanev to a divisional rival would pretty much kill me.

On 03/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, Kungfudru said:

No shot I'd trade Tanev + 1st + a prospect for an unproven NHL player whom isn't exactly lighting it up in the AHL either. What about if Pulv becomes a Yakapov? I think Pulv is a good prospect but he isn't an NHL player yet and he has a ways to go still. Tanev is a 27 year old #2 defenseman on any team in the NHL on the other hand. I would be heisitant to trade Tanev straight up for Pulv at this point. Frankly If the oilers were offered Tanev for Pulv given their current status and refused they'd be idiots which doesn't surprise me any bit anyhow. Taylor Hall, a proven first line winger in the NHL was traded for Adam Larrsson and imo Tanev and Larrsson are pretty damn close in value. I'd take a risk and trade Tanev for Pulv straight up at this point before Edmonton ruins him like they do with 95% of their prospects only because we're a rebuilding team, and we can take the time to let Pulv develop with our young core. Tanev is ready to contend for a cup and Edmonton needs a couple of pieces to get there as long as they have McDavid, Draisaitl they have a chance. Chirelli is one of the worst gm's in the league. He's looking for a scoring winger meanwhile he traded Hall and eberle. Then he trades a 1st, 33rd overall for G. Reinhart. He could've had barzal + too improve the offence. Then he signs a slug like Lucic to a ridiculous contract. What a dumb ass. I think edm needs to sure up their defence which in turn will help out Talbot and create more offence in the transition. They should focus on defence and let McDavid take care of the offence with whomever he has atm. I think their coach is overrated also and might be part of the problem. Anyways My offer to them would be Tanev if I were gm, but only before I had my scouts assess Pulv in the AHL first to see how he's progressing. If his value is still where it was when he was drafted and he has the ability to make the NHL as a top 6 winger in the not so distant future I'd pull the trigger. It's funny though in highldsight if edm would've taken Sergachev instead of Pulv considering how well he's doing, Pulv would've fell right into our laps. Then again they prob would've ruined Sergachev too. I just hate how Edmonton gets all of these potentially amazing talents and ruins them all. 

I did not say I would trade Tanev + 1st + for Pulvi, just want I think the Oilers would want to trade him. I think Tanev would help them a lot but they would be scared to give up a potential future star and not get something of future promise back. I would trade Tanev straight up for him, but not that 1st. That first would hopefully be a D prospect to replace Tanev in the future.

What is scary is if the Oilers actually continue to suck this year and get a top draft pick next draft and get a Dman that helps them right away and they also have Pulvi come into his own next year along with the others underperforming this year step it up again. It make them even scarier going forward in the future. 

Archived