The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Gagner Not Working Out -- but years left in his contract... what do they do?

gameburn

CBJ forwards are a lot bigger on average and a lot tougher than our forwards. Gags didn't stick out that much in their roster, but here where we have a lot of finesse forwards Gags looks like a 'type' of forward we don't need per se. I think put Biega/LaBate or Archie in there. Gag's avg goals is around 14-15 goals, and avg -8 to-10, he's not going to hit 15 goals and his minus is going to be huge. Plus his play is primarily perimeter, love the guy, but we don't need what he brings unfortunately.

19 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wait.

His contract has no trade restrictions and isn't particularly damning. If he hasn't done well enough for anyone to bite at the deadline, simply hold onto him, hope he has a better second season, and if he does, move him then.

It's 3 years at roughly 3 mill per with no trade restrictions. A very easy contract to work with. Despite what some others may say, the sky is not falling.

Besides, if the twins do retire at the end of the year, we'll need someone else who can play center.

Exactly.  Young guy with term and who performed well before won't be too hard to trade even if he's slumping now (everyone does).  One prolonged hot streak and people will see his contract as being of value and at that time they might even be able to trade him for something decent.  Give him the Eriksson treatment and watch him rebound -- just like in economics, "buy low, sell high".  Agreed also with the center need in the future (Bo and Brandon, maybe Burmistrov/ Granlund for top-9 guys, presuming we don't rush Pettersson) the team will need another guy if only for depth and Sam's not bad, just inconsistent.    

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK. On Rodin, he was never ready to even compete for an NHL spot, there's no way Gagner's contract had any impact on Rodin's career trajectory. 

On Gagner. As you pointed out - 30 points projected (not 40) - may improve if he corrects to his career averages, not bad considering his line mates and 14 minutes per game avg. Sure he's had a couple of brutal games, but its really only a few, otherwise he's been OK. By what metric? 2 giveaways on the season, not exactly a pizza machine. 52% on face-offs. 48% CF% with 58% d-zone starts, not stellar but average. 

Basically, he's average. Maybe a bit overpriced, but thats life as a rebuilding team. You can't get elite most of the time in the position the Canucks are in. By the time his contract matters to the cap he'll be gone. In the meantime he's reliably average, so I really don't see what the big deal is. But he isn't a bust or a disaster of some kind, or holding back anyone. 

Expect your logical and reasoned post to be refuted with contract as "dumb" etc.   He is barely 20 games into his time as a Canuck (however long that is) and he has been, as you say, "average" and provides something few in league can with versatility plus his contract is nice that for a guy with that much time in the league, no strings attached at all and it didn't cost anything to bring him in (in terms of assets) so if you trade him for a loaf of bread at some point, you are still a couple of sandwiches ahead of where you were.

Nice bridge signing if he is average.  If he catches fire (he has always been a streaky player), could be an excellent signing by your team.

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Trade Gagner back to the Blue Jackets... their power play has gone into the toilet with the loss of him... they might be ready to provide a decent young prospect.

Gagner had 18 PP points last season - only 5pts in 2017 (47 games).  Gagner helped them only at the start of the season and then teams probably figured out how to counter them.  They were first in the league in 2016 (35 games) and then 2nd to last for the rest of the season.

15 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Trade Gagner back to the Blue Jackets... their power play has gone into the toilet with the loss of him... they might be ready to provide a decent young prospect.

That PP was horrendous by the end of the season.  During that winstreak they scored like no tomorrow but the rest of the season it was god awful.

10 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Just get him off the team asap. Guy is complete garbage and soft as butter

We have him for all three years.  Who, in their right mind, would want him - especially considering his contract?  Could we send him to Utica for the remainder of this season, and then buy him out?  JB is doing a decent enough job collecting good young players, but some of his UFA signings make me :sick:.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have him for all three years.  Who, in their right mind, would want him - especially considering his contract?  Could we send him to Utica for the remainder of this season, and then buy him out?  JB is doing a decent enough job collecting good young players, but some of his UFA signings make me :sick:.

My view exactly. What's odd about this is that JB should be more confident about his draft picks... Boeser and Tryamkin in different ways were excellent picks for where he nabbed them.  Why sign Gagner (especially after the Eriksson situation) when he has gathered a nice set of prospects some of whom are NHL ready by Fall of next year.  Even with the players who are already in the system, such as Virtanen, Gaunce and Archibald they all play a heavier game, and in the case of Virtanen we are starting to see some of the quality he drafted for.  For one year, Gagner would have been terrific, for two, not so terrfic.  3 years?  

It's almost as if he's hedging his draft picks by picking up veteran UFAs.  By the look of Pettersson and Lind, he doesn't need this kind of hedge. Boeser is a Calder candidate, Pettersson will be as well.  What if Juolevi shows signs of reaching his potential, making the team next Fall?  Assuming Pettersson makes the team, we could have 2 candidates for the Calder on the same team in the same year. 

I’m not at all worried about Sam Gagner’s contract. Some important things to consider:

1. Not trade restrictions on his contract

2. While over payed, his contract is only 4.2% of the cap. With some many ELCs on the Canucks over the next 3 years, this contract isn’t going to hurt the Canucks cap 

3. More often than not, UFAs are going to be overpayed. When 30 other teams can offer money as well, getting an asset without giving anything up means paying some money

4. This season, Gagner isn’t depriving any young player of a roster spot. Maybe goldobin, but management felt goldobin needed more time in the minors, and he’s getting his chance now even with gagner in the lineup. 

5. He’s on pace for 30 points, plays a bottom 6 role, can contribute on the PP, and can play all 3 forward positions. Guys like these have value on the trade market for contending teams who are in win now mode but have depth issues (due to injury, guys not working out, etc.)

6. Canucks have 2 off seasons and 3 tdl to trade him. Meaning that if they don’t get any offers they think are worth it, they can hold out until they get something good

On 11/24/2017 at 9:40 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

I am going to go against the grain and say Gagner has value for this team.  Sure, I think there is room for criticism but I see a guy who works hard, has good talent and is a committed team player.  I firmly believe if he can get some chemistry going with whomever we will see him contribute more regularly. 

Keep in mind every player on this team makes defensive mistakes and gets tired from time to time.  It's too easy as fans to criticize athletes

I agree.  He's also new to our system and always been a streaky player so I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve on his current numbers.  Some may also be interested to know he is 7th on our team in hits. (25)  Now, I know 7th doesn't seem great but he gets less ice time than the majority of the other players and the amount of hits drops off dramatically after that, with 21 to Sutter 18 to Granlund and 13 to Horvat.  The only other forwards above him: Virtanen and Dorsett - both who play the kind of game that you'd expect them to hit a lot.

Of all the players to rag on, with his 3m contract I'm not sure I really mind having Gagner on the team.

Archived