The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting the extra point

The_Rocket

Not trying to be negative, but something that I noticed that I thought would be interesting to discuss. 

Canucks have been incredibly unlucky in games that have gone past 60 this year. Even when they play very well in OT, bad puck luck or timely saves by the opposing goaltender results in a loss for the  good guys. Shootout has been the same. So is this a big deal?

i went back and looked at the last time we made the play offs in 2015. The team was kind of similar to the one today. Mix of young guys and vets, rookie coach, powered by a high scoring first line, etc. (Though I personally like this years team better). The 2015 team got 101 point and came second in the pacific. Los Angeles, who came 4th with 95 points, missed the playoffs. That means the Canucks made the playoffs by 6 points that season. They also had 18 games go to OT or shootout, and they won 13 of those (6 in SO, 7 in OT). If the Canucks had have lost 11 more games that ended in a tie after 60, they wouldn’t have made the playoffs that year. 

Now I don’t necessarily expect the Canucks to play 18 games in ot/shootout this year. Willie D was notorious for grinding games out to win by 1 or 2 goals. Canucks also led the league in Empty Net goals that year, indicating it wasn’t uncommon for them to enter the final minutes of a game in a very close score. But, the question still remains: will these lost points in OT come back to haunt the Canucks come spring? Does it even matter, since playoffs this year aren’t part of the long term goal? 

Side note: after seeing how many games the Canucks played that year that were grinded out with empty net goals or overtime/shootout wins, its really no surprise that when the Sedins scoring dried up (relatively speaking) the team could no longer compete playing this style.  Can’t cling to leads if no one can get a goal to put in the lead to begin with. 

The loser point has had a huge impact on the game in general. The idea was that teams would not play for a tie but it backfired because now when the score is close, even in a playoff hunt needing a win, a team will do everything possible get to the guaranteed point. The league doesn't want to do change this because they now have over 22 teams over .500 and artificial parody or "winners". 87 loser points awarded so far this year.

Your comment about 95 points being the playoff deadline, it could very well be that this year. This year just about all the teams will look to be close to wild card spot as right now only 6 points separate a playoffs spot and 2nd last in the conference.

50 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The loser point has had a huge impact on the game in general. The idea was that teams would not play for a tie but it backfired because now when the score is close, even in a playoff hunt needing a win, a team will do everything possible get to the guaranteed point. The league doesn't want to do change this because they now have over 22 teams over .500 and artificial parody or "winners". 87 loser points awarded so far this year.

Your comment about 95 points being the playoff deadline, it could very well be that this year. This year just about all the teams will look to be close to wild card spot as right now only 6 points separate a playoffs spot and 2nd last in the conference.

Yeah exactly, the loser point heavily skews actually standings. For example, that 2015 LA team that got 95 points also had 18 games got to OT/Shootout, but they lost 15 of those. That means that even though the kings won more games than the Canucks in regulation, they missed the playoffs b/c of fake .500

Good read in  the province about how Green feels about the shoot-out.hes not a fan.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-travis-green-at-a-loss-to-explain-how-to-win-shootout-skills-show

Regardless of how you feel about the shoot out the points gained or lost could very well be the difference at seasons end. For now I’d rather be on the lottery side.

Green a good coach I think his view of who the shooters are  and overall approach to the shoot out will evolve.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Actually, I think the plan was all along was artificial parity and the league got what it was after.  There was no backfire.  It worked exactly as they planned.

I absolutely hate 3on3 and the shootout but I know it's here to stay.  Even if the Canucks were undefeated in the extra frame it wouldn't sway my opinion on it.  When a team has the puck and they intentionally take it out of the zone to 'reset' makes me want to turn the game off, it's so lame even for an allstar format.  Sometimes these shootouts tack on an extra 30min to a game which sucks when you have to be up early the next day.  Don't get me started on the extra point too

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

The league doesn't want to do change this because they now have over 22 teams over .500 and artificial parody or "winners". 87 loser points awarded so far this year.

Exactly, and I can sadly picture Bettmans poo eating grin as he brags how close the league is.     

will these lost points in OT come back to haunt the Canucks come spring?

No.  We have an extremely easy first-half this year.  But, despite the fact that we've been playing better than anyone expected and are just one point outside of a wildcard spot, we are still only 2 points out of the 3rd worst spot in our entire conference right now!  Two of the teams behind us have games-in-hand as well.

So, if we're playing a lot better than anyone expected and we have an easy schedule, yet we are still only 2 points out of the bottom-3, what do you think's going to happen when our schedule gets considerably tougher?  We aren't going to be making the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

But, the question still remains: will these lost points in OT come back to haunt the Canucks come spring?

Nope, should help with the TDL decisions.   Given a proper schedule of a ramp up from the bottom, making the playoffs this year would not do as much good to the future of the team as being competitive (which they are far more this year and past few seasons) and getting a lottery pick.    Playing competitive hockey and winning as much as losing is really good for the culture around the team for the younger players but this season is about development more than the playoffs and I don't think anyone is seriously thinking otherwise.   

As long as we play a good 60 min game I'll be happy.

If we lose out on play offs for not getting enough bonus points, so be it.

Will it cost us? it could potentially, but then they'll just have to play to win during 60min. It will be a lot more entertaining than playing for a draw and hope for the extra point.

Not getting the additional points will ultimately be the reason why we miss the playoffs. Top teams, the teams that consistently get into the playoffs will win their share of OT/SO games. The fact that the Canucks aren't able to, shows that we aren't ready to join the upper echelon of the NHL.

I think I'm OK with losing in OT/SO because there's a lot of luck involved as OP stated. As long as we play an entertaining game and that B line continues to play well, I think most fans will be happy this season.

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

willie had to play the kind of game that the talent dictated. when you can't score you have to play good defensive low scoring games. we still don't score a lot but bo's line has been good for 1 or 2 goals a game. 

But willie has talent that year. Henrik and Daniel we’re both in the top 15 in league scoring, and Vrbata was one of only 15 players in the whole league to score over thirty goals that year. 

But willie still played the third period as a grind, resulting in so many it ot games and the team pulling their goalie when we couldn’t go up by two or three 

There is totally different team in the two years.

This year Canucks is more entertaining, hardworking, full of energy, even loss in OT/SO.

I like this year's Canucks, just need better luck in OT/SO, and coaches work more in 3-3 and SO, the result is quite a lot of better.

11 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

There is totally different team in the two years.

This year Canucks is more entertaining, hardworking, full of energy, even loss in OT/SO.

I like this year's Canucks, just need better luck in OT/SO, and coaches work more in 3-3 and SO, the result is quite a lot of better.

How about playing forwards in OT that are our best skaters ?   We get a point every time Hank and Danny pass back and forth to each other..... 

How about putting a goal scorer out for OT and and our quickest Skaters....       Boeser, Sven ,  Granny Panties , Tanev , Virtanen  would be players i would be looking to go with. 

Archived