The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well I watch both closely and I think Pouliot is fooling quite a few people. I don't think he is physical at all, I often see him looking unaware and all in all looks pretty average - I would much rather have Biega.

It's early days yet though and I don't like judging a player, who has just come into a new team, too closely. I have said it on many an occasion I am no scout so as long as Benning and Green are happy then I'm happy. 

Fair enough, alfstonker. We'll see how it plays out. I agree on Green and Benning being the real judges of the situation. 

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I agree with you that pouliot is not as physical as some think especially against any sizeable forward....rewatch tape vs anders lee the other night.

One moment does not define a player's physicality. 

And Anders Lee is 230+ lbs by the way.

If you rewatch the past few games, I think you'll find him throwing a few surprising hits - against pretty big forwards (last night I believe it was Matt Martin? that he laid into pretty solidly - as did Dank and Virt - nice to see, and without much toughness in the lineup).

Look at the whole sample and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Pouliot may not be a big guy, but he's not shy, he engages, he battles and his speed combined with his compact frame make him relatively effective - even on the boards and in battles.  Most of us knew what he brings in other areas of the game, but his defensive battle levels have been a pleasant surprise, considering that was reportedly his primary 'weakness'.

It seems the the Leaf fans are boo hooing along with the Toronto papers and the organization in general about the Canucks win.

We have to change our schedule to accommodate the eastern darlings and then they use that as an excuse for losing.

Wow that is a lame attempt if I ever heard one.

This is the type of stuff that makes most of the other fan bases HATE THE LEAFS,and for good reason.

They can't have it their way so they whine if it doesn't work in their favor.

If the Leafs had to travel as much as the Canucks do in a five year period they would be even worse, and use that as an excuse without a doubt.

We can't forget that TANK that they used to get Mathews,shameful,almost as bad as Edmonton.

Now that we could use a player or two or even our 1ST OVERALL PICK IN NEARLY FIFTY YEARS.

The league has changed the rules. So Toronto don't continue to be a bunch of whiners ,you have been treated with kid-gloves in the league for way too long.

And to add to that - Pouliot has 32 blocked shots already - which puts him 3rd on this team - probably more grit aspect to his game than most people were expecting.

He's also 5th on the club in takeaways - tied with Tanev, Sutter....

(and on that point, ironically - Virtanen is 2nd - with 15 takeaways in his limited minutes - something he's shown repeatedly since his rookie season here - but apparently lack "hockey sense" and like Pouliot, supposedly lacked defensive awareness)

8 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

It seems the the Leaf fans are boo hooing along with the Toronto papers and the organization in general about the Canucks win.

We have to change our schedule to accommodate the eastern darlings and then they use that as an excuse for losing.

Wow that is a lame attempt if I ever heard one.

This is the type of stuff that makes most of the other fan bases HATE THE LEAFS,and for good reason.

They can't have it their way so they whine if it doesn't work in their favor.

If the Leafs had to travel as much as the Canucks do in a five year period they would be even worse, and use that as an excuse without a doubt.

We can't forget that TANK that they used to get Mathews,shameful,almost as bad as Edmonton.

Now that we could use a player or two or even our 1ST OVERALL PICK IN NEARLY FIFTY YEARS.

The league has changed the rules. So Toronto don't continue to be a bunch of whiners ,you have been treated with kid-gloves in the league for way too long.

Toronto, the known center of the universe, Canada's team as declared by Bettman. They can do nothing wrong.

The "shameful" tank? It was only shameful when Buffalo and a few other teams did it, Buffalo was the most obvious though.

TO's tank is now the model of how to turn a franchise around in the modern NHL. Only the fans of teams that didn't do as good a job complain about what is allowed within the rules. It is the model of how to avoid the 10 years in the nether regions.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well I watch both closely and I think Pouliot is fooling quite a few people. I don't think he is physical at all, I often see him looking unaware and all in all looks pretty average - I would much rather have Biega.

It's early days yet though and I don't like judging a player, who has just come into a new team, too closely. I have said it on many an occasion I am no scout so as long as Benning and Green are happy then I'm happy. 

I think you're fooling yourself if you believe he's 'unaware',

Green has him playing 20 minutes a night the past dozen games - Green doesn't utilize "unaware" players like that.

Saddest thing of the whole game happened even before the game started. Classless leaf fans chanting 'go leafs go' when the anthem is announced and started. Best part were the 'boos' that immediately started up from respectful fans, be it Nuck or leaf fans, who let all those fools cheering know that you show respect for the anthem. When the games on cheer and make noise but during the anthem show respect.

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Visited the Toronto Sun site to read their take...apparently,  the schedulers are partly to blame as the 4:00 start worked against the Leafs by not allowing them time for a morning skate.  Interesting take considering the home team and fans  are the one that have their  normal schedule and systems messed with to accommodate the NHL darlings. 

The first period results were  due to the Leafs not being ready and had nothing to do with the Canucks playing well.  The 2nd and 3rd periods were the real Leafs and, of course had nothing to do with a tired Nucks team coming off a 6 game road trip. The Leafs simply did not show up on time...

Honestly, it reads as though there was only one team on the ice and the Nucks were just there to sweep snow during commercial breaks. 

yeah, predictably pathetic.

let's play the game.

The real Canucks showed up in the first period - and took a well earned and decisive lead.

And then the zebras decided to run the predictable game management interference.

Goldobin takes a touch-foul and the team starts to brace themselves / play cautious hockey as anything resembling aggressiveness will result in ballbusting.

The team winds up defending the lead - and looking to avoid over-exposing their young and in the case of the Sedins, misfit shutdown units - as opposed to push to bury the over-rated Leafs.

Not only are the Canucks tired after a long road trip (listening to Eastern time zone teams whine about a road trip, a game time, or the schedule is laughable) - but they're also depleted, missing two thirds of their shutdown line, and their most physical blueline presence as well. 

The Leafs show the usual class, as their 'tough guy' follows up his jumping of Troy Stecher with an attempt to coax another kid into a fight.  What an enforcer code that is.   Can anyone here imagine DD attempting goad a Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Reilly into a fight?  Get fn real.  Pathetic.

Nevertheless, guys like Daniel, Virtanen and Pouliot take runs at Matt Martin and the team steps up to be as hard to play against as their roster allows.  Kudos to that group - it had virtually no grit element in the lineup, but held their own.

So the Canucks have a rookie shutdown line, and Green is backed into using the Sedins in primarily dzone starts due to their injuries.  Henrik Sedin finishes with 33% offensive zone starts, Gaunce and Virtanen at 25%.  The Sedins with 33% offensive zone starts.  Not their role, to say the least.

Enjoy your weaksauce "moral victory" Toronto - you outshot a depleted lineup in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a game in which your opponent was exhausted, shorthanded, cautious, and defending the notorious 2-0 hockey lead.   Moral victory lulzz!

Despite the plum opportunities for the Leafs wonder boy, the Leafs best line turns out to be their 4th line.  Matthews finishes -1 with 3 giveaways, but leads the NHL in CBC replayzz.

Rough night for the Leaf blowers.  They got beat by a man-games-lost 'lottery' pick contender.  Lots to be in denial and whine about.

So suck on that Toronto.  You're never going to get a better opportunity to light this team up - and you were within minutes of getting shutout.

Soothe on the excuses, losers.

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

One moment does not define a player's physicality. 

And Anders Lee is 230+ lbs by the way.

If you rewatch the past few games, I think you'll find him throwing a few surprising hits - against pretty big forwards (last night I believe it was Matt Martin? that he laid into pretty solidly - as did Dank and Virt - nice to see, and without much toughness in the lineup).

Look at the whole sample and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Pouliot may not be a big guy, but he's not shy, he engages, he battles and his speed combined with his compact frame make him relatively effective - even on the boards and in battles.  Most of us knew what he brings in other areas of the game, but his defensive battle levels have been a pleasant surprise, considering that was reportedly his primary 'weakness'.

Pouliot is bigger than Biega....I think they are about the same in overall effectiveness ...P. being better in the O.zone and B. better in the D. zone, but Pouliot has to play...he is part of the future or with a little work very tradable ....Biega is great for what he is but at 30 years old (in a few months) 5'10" and 190 Lbs.,.....depth, no more....

Stecher is starting to come around...and what a trooper he our young Biega with way more upside...he is going to start scoring soon and he is our best D. at getting the shot's through to the net.

Hutton just needs to mature...he will be solid for us in a year or so...

MDZ could use some of Stecher's (or Biega's) aggressiveness...I thought Derek P. outplayed him for the first 10 games of the season and since it has been a flip-flop between the 2...DP will battle more than MDZ that is for sure...they both lose way too many puck battles...approaching Gagner levels for that....

...don't get me going on Edler....he had a decent game and a goal...the winning goal and he is very useful in the playoffs....he should be traded at the TDL....

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

How's Goldy fitting in on the top line now?? Hope Baertschi can help out the Gagner line.

Goldobin was alright in his limited ice time. I think he'll play until Sutter comes back and then most likely head back down to Utica.

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

How's Goldy fitting in on the top line now?? Hope Baertschi can help out the Gagner line.

Goldobin was taken off that line in the 3rd period last night.

He was cautious - probably somewhat due to a ridiculous 'slashing' call he took to end the 1st.  Momentum shifter that was not his fault - game management garbage that no doubt effected his assertiveness and confidence.

But he was also quite poor in his zone in the third -  and gave the puck away a couple times with some far too risky brain-cramp puck moving in his zone, and was a liability.

Green had to move Baertschi back with Horvat in order to be able to utilize that line in some important shifts with the lead.

Not a big deal - some tough matchups head to head with Matthews' line - but not his best night - and nowhere to really shelter him with a rookie shutdown line already in effect.

Might have been a good night to go with Burmistrov al things considered, but part of the point is to ride through the growing pains, and Goldobin survived the night despite some shaky moments - also had some other good shifts where he battled - but was inconsistent.   Not really that unexpected though.

A perfect storm for the Leafs to feast on - but they flat out failed.

15 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I actually thought they did a pretty good job tonight.... I have a feeling we weren't the only western team getting annoyed of the clear Leafs bias on HNIC.  Still slanted that way but seems like we got a little more love than they usually give us imho.  

I agree, I don’t believe the NHL/CBC/media dislike the Canucks. The problem is, they are more interested in the larger market revenue which is earned in large TV markets out East. 

Their commentary/ bias panders to the largest market which can add to their bottom line ie advertising. 

17 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I just think that's A; who he is and B; what you want out of all your players. You want guys to go through the wall to win. It's a high price to pay to win in this league." - Green on Stecher

I'm not watching the game till Monday. Stecher eat a puck fist, big hit something?

23 minutes ago, HarryCanuck said:

I agree, I don’t believe the NHL/CBC/media dislike the Canucks. The problem is, they are more interested in the larger market revenue which is earned in large TV markets out East. 

Their commentary/ bias panders to the largest market which can add to their bottom line ie advertising. 

Kypreos looked like he was going to puke if he had to hear any more compliments about the Canucks.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Toronto, the known center of the universe, Canada's team as declared by Bettman....

TO's tank is now the model of how to turn a franchise around in the modern NHL.

The Leafs still received the behind closed doors lottery win and were able to pick 1st overall. 

Canucks tank and received 2 fifth overall picks. 

IMO I like what Benning is doing by rebuilding on the fly, so far so good. 

There are some good prospects coming through, if the Canucks manage to sign the Sedins to a 2 year deal @ $2-2.5m each a year, they will have $9m ish more in cap space to add some quality depth in the offseason. 

Archived