The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

My kids’ bedtime is 7:30, so I actually get to watch more of the game when it’s usual start time hahaha. 

My kids bedtime is normally 8pm.  Give them each a slug or two of whiskey at puck drop and they are sound asleep by first intermission. 

Loui looks rejuvenated, he was great tonight with the Twins. Vintage Sedinery and Edler in the 1st period. You can tell the guys were pumped to play and win for Daniel and Dorsett tonight. The laffs poured it on in the 2nd and 3rd but that was to be expected since we were coming off a long road trip. I thought Virtanen, Horvat and Boeser also had a great game but didn't show in the score sheet. Markstrom will get his shutout this year if he continues to play like tonight lol. some very winnable home games coming up I hope they win them all...

Whenever I am on vacation, I follow the GDT as a way of tracking Canucks games. During this game there was a lot of criticism of Alex Edler.

When all was said and done there was high praise for Edler. GWG , logged heavy minutes, played in a key situations etc.

The collective mindset of CDC can be a disturbing place.

So happy that Canucks gutted this one out and that Edler was a big part of that.

4 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

Heart was in my throat during butt clench time. Markstrom can’t buy a shutout. Nice missed interference refs. 

SUCK IT LEAFS!

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tanev is a miracle-worker. Turns the sow's ear into a silk purse, so it's written.

32 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Loui looks rejuvenated, he was great tonight with the Twins. Vintage Sedinery and Edler in the 1st period. You can tell the guys were pumped to play and win for Daniel and Dorsett tonight. The laffs poured it on in the 2nd and 3rd but that was to be expected since we were coming off a long road trip. I thought Virtanen, Horvat and Boeser also had a great game but didn't show in the score sheet. Markstrom will get his shutout this year if he continues to play like tonight lol. some very winnable home games coming up I hope they win them all...

Wow. That was an exciting game. Here are the key take-aways for me.

1. Marky was obviously the player of the game. He was fantastic. I thought he was finally going to get his first shutout. He certainly deserved it and it was very disappointing to see the late Leaf goal. I am pretty sure he is already the best goalie to have no career NHL shutouts, and I hope he loses that record soon. 

2. The entire Canuck team played well. Edler played a strong game and got a nice goal, but I was also very impressed with Pouliot's game. Tanev, as always, was very good. And Stecher showed a lot to come back from two injuries (blocked shot on the foot and puck to the face) and still play well. The Sedins combined for some nice plays, including the set-up for Edler's goal, but they also got trapped in the D zone a few times. Virtanen's speed and strength were both on display. He just needs a bit more finish around the net. And Eriksson continues to play well.

3. My biggest annoyance with the game is the large number of Leaf fans in the building. Normally I don't think much about opposing fans. After all, people have every right to choose who they want to root for. And no problem with Leaf fans who fly in the for the game. I guess it does make for an exciting atmosphere. 

4. As usual, there are lots of comments on CDC about the refereeing. The refs let a lot go tonight on both sides (after the very cheesy slashing call on Goldy in the first period). But I don't think the refereeing hurt the Canucks overall. There were a lot times when I was holding my breath expecting a Canuck penalty to be called but it wasn't.

5. The Leafs are for real. Although the Canucks played well, they were outplayed by the Leaf skaters and I would score this game as a steal for Marky. Matthews in particular looked great. He was unlucky not to score (or he was unlucky to face a hot goalie). For a team that has been on the road for 5 of the last 6 games and logged a lot of travel, they still looked good in the third period.  But it is not just Matthews. The Leafs have a lot of offensive and it is not an accident they lead the league in scoring.

6. Finally, I continue to impressed by Green. I think he is getting as much as it is possible to get out of the team and the team seems to have developed excellent team chemistry -- better than the last few years. 

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

3. My biggest annoyance with the game is the large number of Leaf fans in the building. Normally I don't think much about opposing fans. After all, people have every right to choose who they want to root for. And no problem with Leaf fans who fly in the for the game. I guess it does make for an exciting atmosphere. 

I hate Leafs fans too, but its because of the massive number of Ontario transplants out here. The Make Beleafs are here for one game a year so naturally its the one they all go to. I'd imagine its not too different back east, but of course there's the fact that there's more people in Toronto than the entire province of BC

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Everything seems roses..but for better cap-efficiency, wonder if we have an excess piece?

Gagner/Sutter..Do we need both? It's about 7.5 mill AAV

One of these things is not like the other

One of these things just doesn't have balls

2 hours ago, 1-d said:

Icing on the cake for tonight’s win... here is the ratface getting flattened by Ivan Provorov! :towel:

ezgif-4-c3a9e2b162.gif

That's a beautiful hit. I love it when Marchand gets crushed.

You can't just skate through guys with your head down, Ratpuke... But I encourage you to keep trying. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are they upset they didn’t get even more power plays, and their usual couple 5 on 3s? 

Yeah, that game management Goldobin 'penalty' was as pathetic as it was predictable. 

Helped shift momentum for the Laffs but they couldn't capitalize.

Nothing quite like these soft, mystery calls to get this team playing cautious hockey.

Not aggressive enough with that 2-0 lead, but not every win is pretty.

57 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Bottom line there is that the center-of-the-universe ironically isn't such a great place - hence the constant migration out here.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Everything seems roses..but for better cap-efficiency, wonder if we have an excess piece?

Gagner/Sutter..Do we need both? It's about 7.5 mill AAV

If Gagner were the equivalent of Sutter, we'd be laughing, not asking trivial questions.

Archived