The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With 43 games remaining, how should Travis Green turn the ship around?

kurtzfan

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I never said anything about feelings.  I want them to win because it will prove that they are good enough to win in the regular season.  That’s not even saying they make the playoffs let alone winning a playoff round and it’s a world away from winning the cup.  But it’s a step in the right direction that needs to happen sooner than later.  Winning is a habit.  It reinforces good habits.   It’s exactly what our young roster needs and what we should want our young players eager to be a part of.  Guys take pay cuts to play on winning teams - losing teams pay full price. The worst situation we can find ourselves in is breaking the bank on Bo, Brock and others to skate around on a bottom 10 team.  That’s purgatory.  That’s mediocrity.  Adding Pettersson, Juolevi and Demko to a hard working .500+ roster sounds like a better path to me than asking them to ride in and save the franchise.

15-20 is the playoffs and  a pipe dream at this point.  I’ll be happy with competitive hockey and stringing a few wins together.  If they feel more confident and feel successful all the better.  If that means drafting 8-12 instead of top 5 so be it.

You just said you never said anything about feelings and then end it with "If they FEEL more confident and FEEL successful...then so be it".  PS...winning and losing aren't habits, it's what happens when you have better or worse players and a team than who you are playing.   If winning and losing were habits then how to teams turn it around suddenly.  Better players, adding new players, prospects and draft picks.  I'm not sure if you've played much sports but this whole "confidence" thing, especially at the pro level, is far over and under rated.  Good players perform well more often than not.  You put more of them together they will win more.

These players have played in multiple teams and levels before the pro's, all on different winning and losing teams.  They don't suddenly develop winning or losing habits...it's just not true or factual. 

If you are comfortable with the Canucks choosing say 8 to 12 instead of a top 5 pick so they "FEEL" better about themselves and develop a "winning" habit, than you are a different kind of fan than I am and we have different views on the game. Fair enough.

7 minutes ago, canuckleface77 said:

You just said you never said anything about feelings and then end it with "If they FEEL more confident and FEEL successful...then so be it".  PS...winning and losing aren't habits, it's what happens when you have better or worse players and a team than who you are playing.   If winning and losing were habits then how to teams turn it around suddenly.  Better players, adding new players, prospects and draft picks.  I'm not sure if you've played much sports but this whole "confidence" thing, especially at the pro level, is far over and under rated.  Good players perform well more often than not.  You put more of them together they will win more.

These players have played in multiple teams and levels before the pro's, all on different winning and losing teams.  They don't suddenly develop winning or losing habits...it's just not true or factual. 

If you are comfortable with the Canucks choosing say 8 to 12 instead of a top 5 pick so they "FEEL" better about themselves and develop a "winning" habit, than you are a different kind of fan than I am and we have different views on the game. Fair enough.

Yes, I said “if they feel confident and more successful all the better” as a reference to your comments.  I want them to win simply because it demonstrates their ability to win -something I was glad to see at the beginning of the season.  You brought up confidence and despite your attempt to poo poo the notion it’s actually a very important ingredient to success.  That’s not just sports psychology, it’s basic psychology for anything.  

Some irony asking if I ever played sports yet you expect the team to respond like a video game.  Teams don’t just magically and suddenly turn it around. I would expect a close observation would reveal those teams struggling and working hard, finding small successes until something pushes them over the top.  We have enough in the pipeline to push us over the top.  Brock was a huge step there.  Before injuries, the past year the Canucks were doing that.  I’d like to see more of it.

That you think the habits that bring success in Major Junior or College guarantee success at the NHL level is silly.  They’re obviously a solid foundation but need to be added to.  Many of our players are young and I’d love to see them proving they can win at the NHL level, not banking on amateur success. 

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Gotta be terrifying, if you're a marginalized 4th liner!

Not just for a marginal 4th liner. 1040 radio is crucifying both Linden and Benning. If the KHL is OK with gutting a goat at center ice we can only imagine what Canuck fans might do at Rogers Arena if someone buys a extra round. :o

On 2018-01-02 at 7:37 AM, WHL rocks said:

This ship will continue to sail along it's route for another few years before reaching the shores. We are still in middle of rebuild. We have some promising prospects but not all will make it. Some won't make the NHL and some who we think will be stars might end up being 3rd or 4th liners. 

We need luck at the draft and continue to accumulate more top end prospects. 

5 years to go before we are a legit contender. 

But Vegas did it in a day. 

Bless their mannerly, Swedish hearts 22 and 33 will soon graciously step aside and hopefully take Edler with them. Only then will this franchise and city move forward. I'm bored of sucking. Bored of waiting on draft picks to come the day. Bored of excuses. So many other teams are contending while facing the same challenges as the Canucks. We will soon have close to 15 million &^@#ing dollars  or more to spend on some signings. This group better not drop the ball. The Brayden Schenn trades are out there. The Kyle Turris trades are out there. The Radulov signing are out there. These excuses I'm hearing are bull$&!#. If management re signs the twins I'll $&!# my pants. 

On 1/4/2018 at 8:10 AM, ilduce39 said:

Thanks, that’s probably the right one.

So, if a team offers Brock 9.1 million we match, right? Ouch.  My diatribe about winning aside, I’d almost let him walk for anything more and take the 4 first rounders.  That’s a lot of cap space for a winger.  

How often does that happen? Can you quote the last time and the circumstances?

I doubt we have to worry. I think BB is happy here and he is/will likely be, on a young talented line next year.

17 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yes, I said “if they feel confident and more successful all the better” as a reference to your comments.  I want them to win simply because it demonstrates their ability to win -something I was glad to see at the beginning of the season.  You brought up confidence and despite your attempt to poo poo the notion it’s actually a very important ingredient to success.  That’s not just sports psychology, it’s basic psychology for anything.  

Some irony asking if I ever played sports yet you expect the team to respond like a video game.  Teams don’t just magically and suddenly turn it around. I would expect a close observation would reveal those teams struggling and working hard, finding small successes until something pushes them over the top.  We have enough in the pipeline to push us over the top.  Brock was a huge step there.  Before injuries, the past year the Canucks were doing that.  I’d like to see more of it.

That you think the habits that bring success in Major Junior or College guarantee success at the NHL level is silly.  They’re obviously a solid foundation but need to be added to.  Many of our players are young and I’d love to see them proving they can win at the NHL level, not banking on amateur success. 

Lol...I'm not even sure where you are getting some of these statements you are making or implying I said these things.  Way off base.

Agree to disagree.

Moving on....

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

Bless their mannerly, Swedish hearts 22 and 33 will soon graciously step aside and hopefully take Edler with them. Only then will this franchise and city move forward. I'm bored of sucking. Bored of waiting on draft picks to come the day. Bored of excuses. So many other teams are contending while facing the same challenges as the Canucks. We will soon have close to 15 million &^@#ing dollars  or more to spend on some signings. This group better not drop the ball. The Brayden Schenn trades are out there. The Kyle Turris trades are out there. The Radulov signing are out there. These excuses I'm hearing are bull$&!#. If management re signs the twins I'll $&!# my pants. 

Get your diaper ready.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:10 AM, ilduce39 said:

So, if a team offers Brock 9.1 million we match, right? Ouch.  My diatribe about winning aside, I’d almost let him walk for anything more and take the 4 first rounders.  That’s a lot of cap space for a winger.  

Boeser is not eligible for an offer sheet.  He is in the same situation as Gaudreau.  

He signed as a 20 year old and to be eligible for an offer sheet he must have 3 years of pro-experience.  He will only have 2 because he only played 9 pro-games in 2016/17 and not 10.  

4 hours ago, mll said:

Boeser is not eligible for an offer sheet.  He is in the same situation as Gaudreau.  

He signed as a 20 year old and to be eligible for an offer sheet he must have 3 years of pro-experience.  He will only have 2 because he only played 9 pro-games in 2016/17 and not 10.  

Thanks. Well that's re-assuring for his next contract, I think.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How often does that happen? Can you quote the last time and the circumstances?

I doubt we have to worry. I think BB is happy here and he is/will likely be, on a young talented line next year.

Wasn't worried - came up somewhere else, just speculating.  Canuck-related I know the Flyers gave Kesler an offer-sheet and thankfully we matched.  I guess it's a moot point.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:05 AM, canuckleface77 said:

Strongly disagree back.  The point of a rebuild is to get younger and add more talented players for the future.  Finishing 2 games over .500 "on their backs" or finishing 4th from last isn't going to have a lasting impact on players other than give them more talented linemates in the future with the latter.  They aren't that fragile, and with the great youth coming in it's a non-issue.  These guys aren't in PeeWee. You think in the summer they go home and feel super confident and have different mindsets because they just missed the playoffs as opposed to getting a top 5 pick?

Players are after the cup, not a first round loss or a .500 record.  They will continue to play hard, they are pros, it's why they are at this level, stop putting so much weight on their feelings.

So induce39, are you saying you would rather the Canucks have a better record so they are more confident and "feel" successful and maybe get a Top 15 to 20 pick than them get say a Top 5 pick this year by continuing on this slide?

This is THE NHL & yes they are PROS & guess what, NHL players/pros play to win the game.  Bottom line PERIOD.

Yes we're in a rebuild & we are getting younger. But if the Sedins are better than your young guys at the moment (Boucher, Goldoblin, Chaput, Megna,  whoever else in Utica) then it is what it is.

Boeser, Horvat, Baertschi, have gotten more ice time & when the Pettersson's, Lind's, Gadjovich's, Gaudette's, Dahlen's, etc. are here & ready they will get the ice time as well. The Sedin's are actually still better than what is currently available in the pipeline. 

By next year things can change dramatically & I believe it will,  but as for today we don't have anybody NHL ready to take the Sedins spot. 

The good thing is we finally seem to have some of these pieces of the puzzle already with a realistic chance of many more in the near future. 

(Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Virtanen, Baertschi, Goldoblin, Demko, Dipietro, Chatfield, MacEwan, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Pettersson, 2018 Draft Picks, etc.)

Patience, the kids are coming. In the mean time it is what it is as we wait for the pieces of the puzzle. But in no way is Green & the Team going to just pack it in on purpose. Boeser's & Horvat's play to win & that is the model that will be set for the Pettersson's, Gadjovich's, Dahlen's, Lind's etc. That is how you build a winner.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Thanks. Well that's re-assuring for his next contract, I think.

Wasn't worried - came up somewhere else, just speculating.  Canuck-related I know the Flyers gave Kesler an offer-sheet and thankfully we matched.  I guess it's a moot point.

I wasn't doubting the possibility I just couldn't think of any recently and wondered if you could. I would have to say it seems something more down to a player's character than being say an ex fan of another team or looking for more money. Nothing's impossible I suppose and with our luck you couldn't rule it out.:(

Travis Green can't turn the ship around till he gets some high level players to work with.

Those would be Horvat, Sutter and Baertschi.

When they come back, the team will start winning again.

Team does not have the depth to win with the 3 most important forwards out.

On 2018-01-05 at 3:14 AM, bad alice french said:

Ya, Canucks not trading Duschene for Turris was a real miss and not going over the CAP for Radulov who has put Dallas clearly over the top was a massive miss too.

wow.   Just wow.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, Canucks not trading Duschene for Turris was a real miss and not going over the CAP for Radulov who has put Dallas clearly over the top was a massive miss too.

wow.   Just wow.

... Vs the Sedin status quo, though?

Take a gamble. Anything, but more Sedinery, please. 

On 1/4/2018 at 3:10 AM, ilduce39 said:

Ya but you lose the main rebuild piece and those 4 1st's are spread out and some of them won't help until 6 or 7 years from now...

39 minutes ago, canuckleface77 said:

Ya but you lose the main rebuild piece and those 4 1st's are spread out and some of them won't help until 6 or 7 years from now...

It would be a tough decision for sure... And it would certainly set the rebuild back a few years.  

Hopefully mll is correct and he’s not eligible for an offer sheet.  

Even more hopeful he gets a deal done after this season!

Archived