The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With 43 games remaining, how should Travis Green turn the ship around?

kurtzfan

3 minutes ago, canuckleface77 said:

Why is this so hard for people to comprehend? Short-sightedness? Impatience?

Let's get younger, let's get better, losing helps that, finisihing 2 games above .500 does NOTHING now or for the future of this club. NOTHING.  And don't talk to me about player confidence BS...they are pros, they know EXACTLY what is going on.

Disagree.

It does everything if it’s on the backs of our young players, which most of our success this year has been.  

That’s the point of a rebuild - your young players get better.

17 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Disagree.

It does everything if it’s on the backs of our young players, which most of our success this year has been.  

That’s the point of a rebuild - your young players get better.

Strongly disagree back.  The point of a rebuild is to get younger and add more talented players for the future.  Finishing 2 games over .500 "on their backs" or finishing 4th from last isn't going to have a lasting impact on players other than give them more talented linemates in the future with the latter.  They aren't that fragile, and with the great youth coming in it's a non-issue.  These guys aren't in PeeWee. You think in the summer they go home and feel super confident and have different mindsets because they just missed the playoffs as opposed to getting a top 5 pick?

Players are after the cup, not a first round loss or a .500 record.  They will continue to play hard, they are pros, it's why they are at this level, stop putting so much weight on their feelings.

So induce39, are you saying you would rather the Canucks have a better record so they are more confident and "feel" successful and maybe get a Top 15 to 20 pick than them get say a Top 5 pick this year by continuing on this slide?

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

4 first round picks if he signs elsewhere for more than 6.5 mil, or do I have that wrong?

Thats a nice consolation package.

Average annual value Compensation
Less than $1,205,377 Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328 Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659 Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986 First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater

Four first-round picks

How can he turns this team around, good question.   I would say, he must take the ownership of this team away from the Sedins.  What I mean by that, is that he must create a line without them together in a line to spread the scoring.   Daniel doesn't shoot much anymore compared to the past after the Keith elbow and that's what I've noticed is that Daniel has became more of a playmaker, passing too much to each other.   If they are split up, the talent will be spread around.  They have not been split up except for injuries.   Crawford was the past coach to split up the Sedin during their early years and they haven't played well.  Now that they are established superstars, I have not yet to see them play without each other.  I am very curious to see how they would do when they are on two different lines this season, Daniel playing with Horvat, and Henrik playing with Baertschi, Vanek.  Just to shake things up a little bit.  

He then must announce who the #1 starter is then run with it to turn things around.  Markstrom and Nilsson has not been playing well because they are competing for the job since the camp and Green hasn't exactly been showing who the #1 are with the way the deployment is being set up, sending the mixed messages that they are still competing for the job to turn things around because it is all about mindset that they are going through with inconsistent play.   He should pick a goaltender then run with it for rest of the season and have back-up to play in a back to back situation.   

He must not be afraid of dealing with Edler by not passing to Boeser in all situation to turn around the PP or even threaten to scratch Edler.  I feel that Edler has drag this team down with his play.  Remember in October when Edler were out due to injury, we were 6th in PK and when he came back, we were in 20's and it's no coincidence that he also drag this PK unit down as well.  

It is all about a finer details on what is working and what is not working when someone is out and we find out what they could do and could not do.  Horvat is key to our team and Sutter is also a key to our PK as well.  Dowd has been a nice additional to our team and would be even nicer once Sutter and Horvat comes back.   If he could sort out first shot and goal issues resolved, we could make a run with a positive streak.  

On 1/2/2018 at 3:22 AM, milk and honey said:

I don't really want the ship to turn around.

Another solid draft pick or two can legitimately be the difference between winning or losing in a tight playoff series or the final. Imagine if we had Luc in 2010 or another top9 forward.

the more depth the better off we will be.Honestly, I am sick of having a good team who is considered a contender by some. I want a deep squad that is a contender. That won't happen quickly but every time we lose we give Boeser, and all the young players a time to learn. Also, I bet Green is learning a lot at the time moment that will be very important in a few years.

don't be quick to leave the tough period.

I agree with your sentiment, although I disagree that every time we lose we give young players time to learn.  

I'd rather have them learn how to win, then get in the habit of losing.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I agree with your sentiment, although I disagree that every time we lose we give young players time to learn.  

I'd rather have them learn how to win, then get in the habit of losing.

They have to know how to pick up their head after a couple tough games for playoff times. 

I do agree where you are coming from though, not every loss is by mistakes. Sometimes the players are just not good enough or strong enough. 

Just thinking what a star or team that has a bad habit of losing? I would say Edmonton but they didn't even try to win for 4years unless it was on HNIC or a pointless game.

12 hours ago, canuckleface77 said:

Strongly disagree back.  The point of a rebuild is to get younger and add more talented players for the future.  Finishing 2 games over .500 "on their backs" or finishing 4th from last isn't going to have a lasting impact on players other than give them more talented linemates in the future with the latter.  They aren't that fragile, and with the great youth coming in it's a non-issue.  These guys aren't in PeeWee. You think in the summer they go home and feel super confident and have different mindsets because they just missed the playoffs as opposed to getting a top 5 pick?

Players are after the cup, not a first round loss or a .500 record.  They will continue to play hard, they are pros, it's why they are at this level, stop putting so much weight on their feelings.

I never said anything about feelings.  I want them to win because it will prove that they are good enough to win in the regular season.  That’s not even saying they make the playoffs let alone winning a playoff round and it’s a world away from winning the cup.  But it’s a step in the right direction that needs to happen sooner than later.  Winning is a habit.  It reinforces good habits.   It’s exactly what our young roster needs and what we should want our young players eager to be a part of.  Guys take pay cuts to play on winning teams - losing teams pay full price. The worst situation we can find ourselves in is breaking the bank on Bo, Brock and others to skate around on a bottom 10 team.  That’s purgatory.  That’s mediocrity.  Adding Pettersson, Juolevi and Demko to a hard working .500+ roster sounds like a better path to me than asking them to ride in and save the franchise.

12 hours ago, canuckleface77 said:

So induce39, are you saying you would rather the Canucks have a better record so they are more confident and "feel" successful and maybe get a Top 15 to 20 pick than them get say a Top 5 pick this year by continuing on this slide?

15-20 is the playoffs and  a pipe dream at this point.  I’ll be happy with competitive hockey and stringing a few wins together.  If they feel more confident and feel successful all the better.  If that means drafting 8-12 instead of top 5 so be it.

9 hours ago, gurn said:
Average annual value Compensation
Less than $1,205,377 Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328 Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659 Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986 First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater

Four first-round picks

Thanks, that’s probably the right one.

So, if a team offers Brock 9.1 million we match, right? Ouch.  My diatribe about winning aside, I’d almost let him walk for anything more and take the 4 first rounders.  That’s a lot of cap space for a winger.  

19 hours ago, coryberg said:

Whatever happened to old time hockey. A good spear job never led to slaughtering sheep at center ice. Well maybe metaphorically! All things considered I suspect a large portion of the population would have no problem with the idea. PETA might raise its poochy eyes.  

He shouldn’t do anything to try to right the ship.  We are almost mathematically eliminated from any reasonable chance at the playoffs.  We Would have to play significantly better than not just one, but every other team ahead of us. 

Just keep playing and developing the younger guys.  It goes how it goes.

The worst thing would be to fall back on the WD strategy the last half of last season where he knew he was going to lose, so just tried to play the veterans and a system that stopped us from getting blown out.

Just now, Provost said:

He shouldn’t do anything to try to right the ship.  We are almost mathematically eliminated from any reasonable chance at the playoffs.  We Would have to play significantly better than not just one, but every other team ahead of us. 

Just keep playing and developing the younger guys.  It goes how it goes.

The worst thing would be to fall back on the WD strategy the last half of last season where he knew he was going to lose, so just tried to play the veterans and a system that stopped us from getting blown out.

The best thing is for Green and the roster to play every game to win. That's it. Give every young player the opportunity to play some games and show what they have. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best thing is for Green and the roster to play every game to win. That's it. Give every young player the opportunity to play some games and show what they have. 

Exactly! Don't we want a better idea of what we have in the young players Hutton, Stecher, Holm, Goldobin, Gaunce, Virtanen and even Boucher? It could easily impact on draft selections. 

Well, the captain of this ship is the invisible Henrik Sedin, and future captain Horvat has been out, and without him, this team lacks that certain something. Horvat tends to put the team on his back and leads by example. Goldobin has a lot of skill, but he looks out of his element at times, and makes big mistakes. I wonder about his future with the team. Biega is the bulldog, so why not play him? At least he brings intensity and speed and gives out punishing hits. Markstrom is the starter, Nilsson just isn't mentally strong it seems. Start Markstrom as much as possible. He'll be around when they bring  up Demko, Nilsson won't. Trade as many vets at the TDL as possible. Get Gaudette some playing time for the last few games of the season.

Archived