The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Can The Canucks Be For Sale? Or Moved? New Arena?

TheGuardian_

The city of Vancouver just rolled out their new plan for the old expo lands, removal of the viaduct and new parks and public areas.

This could be important because the land the arena sits on just tripled or more in value as soon as the plan is okayed by the city council. The land will be worth 2+ billion.

Everyone knows how the NHL is all about having an arena and the team and the arena are two separate entities owned by one group so the ending of an agreement is just that, a business deal.

Now this may not be such a big deal especially if the Aquilini's can build another arena or have some other municipality build one or share in one. This could be the best idea, the arena is considered older now as it is over 23 years old and getting into the city is becoming more and more difficult from outlying areas. Once deconstruction of the viaduct starts getting to a game will be incredibly hard, time consuming and more expensive as parking lots are over packed or removed.

But the NHL may feel that Seattle might not be too far from Vancouver and still attract fans from north of the border. This could be in the form of a sale or being moved.

I strongly believe that Vancouver will always have a team BUT should the Aquilini's decide to sell the team to non resident owners and keep the land, well they are developers and have had many fans and media crucifying them for years now. It would get the public off their backs and allow for more privacy. They would also stand to profit a couple of billion dollars.

An outside owner just might decide to move the team especially if they don't own the arena, outside ownership would/could be very hands off and possibly in it just for the money.

IF there is to be another arena in the lower mainland and there will be, the land is just worth too much for the existing arena to stay, somewhere around the Port Mann bridge might be a good location, the Coquitlam side maybe by the prison or in the Surrey industrial area near the Patullo bridge and Scott road. For sky train access. Maybe back where the Coliseum is although this city council groups lately have been all about getting rid of parking and returning to nature. 

IF there is to be a new arena I do believe that a certain amount of public ownership should be included so when the property value goes up again the team is not in danger of having no where to play.

Something like this could coincide with 2020, Seattle's arena finished, viaduct being removed, arena over 25 years old, NHL labour stoppage.

Not sure where this post might belong but it is directly to do with the team.

7 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The city of Vancouver just rolled out their new plan for the old expo lands, removal of the viaduct and new parks and public areas.

This could be important because the land the arena sits on just tripled or more in value as soon as the plan is okayed by the city council. The land will be worth 2+ billion.

Everyone knows how the NHL is all about having an arena and the team and the arena are two separate entities owned by one group so the ending of an agreement is just that, a business deal.

Now this may not be such a big deal especially if the Aquilini's can build another arena or have some other municipality build one or share in one. This could be the best idea, the arena is considered older now as it is over 23 years old and getting into the city is becoming more and more difficult from outlying areas. Once deconstruction of the viaduct starts getting to a game will be incredibly hard, time consuming and more expensive as parking lots are over packed or removed.

But the NHL may feel that Seattle might not be too far from Vancouver and still attract fans from north of the border. This could be in the form of a sale or being moved.

I strongly believe that Vancouver will always have a team BUT should the Aquilini's decide to sell the team to non resident owners and keep the land, well they are developers and have had many fans and media crucifying them for years now. It would get the public off their backs and allow for more privacy. They would also stand to profit a couple of billion dollars.

An outside owner just might decide to move the team especially if they don't own the arena, outside ownership would/could be very hands off and possibly in it just for the money.

IF there is to be another arena in the lower mainland and there will be, the land is just worth too much for the existing arena to stay, somewhere around the Port Mann bridge might be a good location, the Coquitlam side maybe by the prison or in the Surrey industrial area near the Patullo bridge and Scott road. For sky train access. Maybe back where the Coliseum is although this city council groups lately have been all about getting rid of parking and returning to nature. 

IF there is to be a new arena I do believe that a certain amount of public ownership should be included so when the property value goes up again the team is not in danger of having no where to play.

Something like this could coincide with 2020, Seattle's arena finished, viaduct being removed, arena over 25 years old, NHL labour stoppage.

So....this is basically all just supposition on your part then?

You are aware that even though Rogers will be 25 years old in 2020, that Aquilini has continuously renovated and upgraded, right?

13 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

they just renovated they are not selling that land.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

So....this is basically all just supposition on your part then?

You are aware that even though Rogers will be 25 years old in 2020, that Aquilini has continuously renovated and upgraded, right?

Of course, this is supposition, until the council votes to redo those lands it was a bit of a moot point, but the land value makes building condos extremely more profitable than the land is worth right now.

IF they sold the team, which I don't think the NHL would stop and they stayed there, no big deal but the land is worth so much that why would not a developer not want to develop it? The profit from the land alone, let alone condos.

The Coliseum was considered too old when it was 24 years old so a new arena will be coming at sometime anyway.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As an aside, tearing down the Georgia Viaduct is such a stupid idea. That type of ill-advised idea summates the Roberston-Meggs era of Vancouver in such a perfectly pathetic way.

To hell with those scoundrels.

I totally agree.

This is a result of city councils that are not vehicle friendly.

They have lots of extra tax money from allowing uncontrolled speculation by non resident property speculators and left the loop holes to keep values high.

Nothing to be done about it, so see a solution, move the arena somewhere that skytrain, buses, vehicles can get to easily.

The arena was always going to be replaced even without the surge in land value due to the council's decison. It is just that there is nothing "out there" about a new arena at all. And this arena is considered one of the older ones.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Of course, this is supposition, until the council votes to redo those lands it was a bit of a moot point, but the land value makes building condos extremely more profitable than the land is worth right now.

IF they sold the team, which I don't think the NHL would stop and they stayed there, no big deal but the land is worth so much that why would not a developer not want to develop it? The profit from the land alone, let alone condos.

The Coliseum was considered too old when it was 24 years old so a new arena will be coming at sometime anyway.

Think about where Rogers is located, now think about where Pacific Colosseum is located. You can't really compare the two.

Madison Square Garden just turned 50 btw. 

28 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This could be the best idea, the arena is considered older now as it is over 23 years old and getting into the city is becoming more and more difficult from outlying areas.

MSG is 50 years old and sits on some of the most expensive real estate in North America.

Age is just a number if they continue to take good care of the building.  The Canucks didn't leave the Pacific Coliseum due to its age, it was due to the configuration and lack of private suites.

I know in most places a downtown arena makes sense but does it in Vancouver?  Maybe I'm out to lunch, but a Surrey or Coquitlam site could see more walk-up (er, drive-up) traffic.  Perhaps I'm just being selfish, coming from Langley both of those options would be way easier.

Where is this 2 billion dollar assessment even coming from?! 

White Spot on Georgia sold for 256 million... it was assessed for 104 or 112 million. 

Source: https://www.bcassessment.ca/Property/Info/QTAwMDAwM1NQQw==

800 Griffiths way is assessed at 28 million which is completely off... but even then it's not 2+ billion 

Source: https://www.bcassessment.ca/Property/Info/RDAwMDBOMlRGQg== 

The assessment is quite off and it would sell for a lot more... as did the White Spot property. But I don't see it selling for more than 750 mill - 1 Billion. 

This team isn't moving from Vancouver ever ... it's Canada's richest city. 

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As an aside, tearing down the Georgia Viaduct is such a stupid idea. That type of ill-advised idea summates the Roberston-Meggs era of Vancouver in such a perfectly pathetic way.

To hell with those scoundrels.

10 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I totally agree.

This is a result of city councils that are not vehicle friendly.

They have lots of extra tax money from allowing uncontrolled speculation by non resident property speculators and left the loop holes to keep values high.

Nothing to be done about it, so see a solution, move the arena somewhere that skytrain, buses, vehicles can get to easily.

The arena was always going to be replaced even without the surge in land value due to the council's decison. It is just that there is nothing "out there" about a new arena at all. And this arena is considered one of the older ones.

LOL A article came out a few years back and said it was cheaper to repair them and make them  sesmic safe for today standards, compared  to the take down cost of them. Its like 100 million cheaper.

I heard 2 guys at the bus talking loudly....   that the Canucks were moving to Surrey Central with a new rink build by Aquaman.

I am super excited as i can walk to the Canuck games at Surrey Central.

Seems like everyone  in Vancity is moving to Surrey ( the future largest city in BC )

Such an exciting time for Surrey Residents...  So excited to get the new Canucks rink in Surrey Central.

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

LOL A article came out a few years back and said it was cheaper to repair them and make them  sesmic safe for today standards, compared  to the take down cost of them. Its like 100 million cheaper.

But Gregor was paid....I mean told to take them down to keep the city green. The developers really have his ass on a string, don't they? Take down the viaduct so we can slam more poorly built overpriced shoeboxes into the bland downtown core.

Man, I hate how hollow and superficial Vancouver has become. A 6 dressed up as a 9, baby!

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I heard 2 guys at the bus talking loudly....   that the Canucks were moving to Surrey Central with a new rink build by Aquaman.

Seems like everyone  in Vancity is moving to Surrey ( the future largest city in BC )

Such an exciting time for Surrey Residents...  So excited to get the new Canucks rink in Surrey Central.

Surrey is to Vancouver what Brampton is to Toronto. That's not a good thing.

#1. The Canucks are NOT relocating.  It wouldn't surprise me if the team was sold within the next 5 years - but they're not relocating. 

#2. Any new franchise and/or relocation of existing franchise would have to be granted by the NHL under the expressed understanding that a viable building (either through ownership or bullit-proof long-term lease agreement) is in place.  The NHL is NOT going to go through another Arizona fiasco and Bettman has said so publicy many, many times.  New owners or relocated teams have to have a viable building in place long-term. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yeah.....A free mugging or carjack with each ticket to the game. Awesome!

Just now, ReggieBush said:

Surrey is to Vancouver what Brampton is to Toronto. That's not a good thing.

Will the Canucks want to change the franchise name to the SURREY CANUCKS ???

I sure hope so.  

Surrey Canucks sounds way cooler......

Archived