The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumor] Canucks on the twins future and Gudbranson

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

Guddy would get close to 6m in free agency. All these proposals of ~4m a year are baffling to me. I have no idea where you're pulling that number from, and all you're doing is getting your pitchforks ready. A hometown discount can only lower the cap hit so much... Somewhere in the 5m for 5 years would be my expectation if he re-signs here. If he gets less than 5m, it means JB did a helluva job negotiating the crap out of that contract. You want the player to be happy signing here as well.

If he hits free agency, he'll probably get something close to 5.7-6m.

LOL are you his agent?

At the beginning of the year there was a chance someone would be willing to pay him $5M but after another injury riddle season, I'm pretty confident his salary will come in close to $4.25M.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I am a fervent believer that the Canucks should re-sign Gudbranson, no team is going to give him anywhere close to $6M if he goes to free agency.

He has scored one goal this season. One. He brings a physical presence and plays a decent shutdown role, but there is nothing in his game that will get him that kind of bread.

I thought you jumped to the trade Gudbranson bandwagon Phil?

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

Dear god if a GM gives Guddy that kind of $ with any term they should get fired on the spot. If detroit was keeping Holland he would probably be the leading choice, that guy has made a ton of brutal signings the last few years. Do NOT want Holland as GM, Brisebois please if we are making a GM change

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

LOL are you his agent?

At the beginning of the year there was a chance someone would be willing to pay him $5M but after another injury riddle season, I'm pretty confident his salary will come in close to $4.25M.

Guddy's value to a team is far more than his offensive numbers. For me I'd be happy with anything around 5m for 5 years. Anything less than that is icing on the cake for me. I definitely want him re-signed though. There's nobody else on the team, let alone the backend who does what he can do (granted, I'll admit he hasn't been doing that consistently).

If you can replace him with some big heavy forwards who stand up for teammates, intimidate and provide really good leadership, then great trade him. I don't want to confuse the skillset Gudbranson brings (which is MUCH needed on this team - grit, leadership, intimidation), with Gudbranson himself.

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I thought you jumped to the trade Gudbranson bandwagon Phil?

I've always been a proponent of re-signing him, Vanuckles. With his recent declaration of wanting to continue with Vancouver, I'm soundly on the keep Guddy bandwagon.

That being said, based on the overall market, I can't see Gudbranson realistically generating interest over $4.5M a year. He possesses a set of skills that the Canucks desperately need to not be pathetically slapped around in the Pacific, and Benning understands this. I expect that a deal will get done, and that the NHL hasn't seen the best of Gudbranson yet.

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Guddy's value to a team is far more than his offensive numbers. For me I'd be happy with anything around 5m for 5 years. Anything less than that is icing on the cake for me. I definitely want him re-signed though. There's nobody else on the team, let alone the backend who does what he can do (granted, I'll admit he hasn't been doing that consistently).

If you can replace him with some big heavy forwards who stand up for teammates, intimidate and provide really good leadership, then great trade him. I don't want to confuse the skillset Gudbranson brings (which is MUCH needed on this team - grit, leadership, intimidation), with Gudbranson himself.

Well said.

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I could see Gudbranson for Bozak as an option.  Gudbranson for JVR would probably be preferred though.  Bozak plays a gritty tough game tho.

Bozak is 31 years old. If the Canucks are trading to add pieces they should be in the age of young to mid 20’s or picks. Something that will actually help us in the future when we are to compete.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Bozak is 31 years old. If the Canucks are trading to add pieces they should be in the age of young to mid 20’s or picks. Something that will actually help us in the future when we are to compete.

Gudbranson for Cal Foote.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Gudbranson for Cal Foote.

Cal Foote I don’t think would be for sale for Gudbranson. I feel like Guds value could be met with a combination of pick + lesser prospect and that shall suffice. I think Tampa would rather pick that package then trade out their best prospect. If you want a Cal Foote prospect I honestly feel like Tanev has to go in the deal.

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The age is a factor for sure.  But if he only garners a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.  Would you rather Bozak or that pick?    I'd take the 2nd but Bozak could be a big helper.  

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The age is a factor for sure.  But if he only garners a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.  Would you rather Bozak or that pick?    I'd take the 2nd but Bozak could be a big helper.  

Definitely rather have the pick I’d rather have an 18 year old Kole Lind than a 31 year old Bozak. I mean if Bozak was a toss in for cap purposes and we were still getting the pick yeah for sure but if it came down to one or the other 2nd rounder > Bozak! Bozak helps you for the last 30 games of this season and that’s it. The 2nd rounder could be a part of your team for years.

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No shocker that those two would say that. Along with other local turds like Botchford, these clowns have zero concept of team dynamics.

Interesting that Lalji is a coach. I would have never thought that by how he was always trying to leak Canucks news.

Culture carriers. The latest corporate buzzword. You actually can bring someone in from outside of the team to become a culture carrier. The latest example of that is Derek Dorsett. He has helped out plenty of the young guys, just as much as the Sedins have, if you read interviews.

The culture that the Sedins have cultivated here has been good, but it needs to end. This team needs to play far more consistently and with a unified pack mentality bent on winning at all costs. The new players have a much greater personal accountability.

Dorsett was a great mentor.  As for Canuck Culture, gimme a break! He played for the Rangers.  Ranger culture.  There's a difference.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd probably fall in the 1 or 2 camp FWIW. But eventually, you have to also cut the cord. That may or may not be this year or next.

I mean, where do you draw the line? When they're 39 and 20-30 point players and taking up roster spots? You can only carry two guys for their 'culture' for so long.

Do we not think they've carried enough of that culture forward to the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Sutter, Granlund, Gaunce, Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson?

Heck even maligned guys like Eriksson and Gagner by most accounts are solid pro's who are also good in the room as well (even if the on ice results haven't been what was hoped for).

And them retiring from playing doesn't mean they can't take roles in the organization. Yes, it's not quite the same as being in the room/on the ice but they can still continue to influence culture as retired players if they choose to.

I agree, there is a limit to how long the Sedins will be an effective influence on the group.

And yes, all those guy's you've listed have bought in and they will carry it on.  It would be nice if they could play with Pettersson.

Hank looked close to the end of his rope post game last night.  You have to wonder if they will be back.  A couple of weeks ago, I thought for sure they would

Just now, Crabcakes said:

I agree, there is a limit to how long the Sedins will be an effective influence on the group.

And yes, all those guy's you've listed have bought in and they will carry it on.  It would be nice if they could play with Pettersson.

Hank looked close to the end of his rope post game last night.  You have to wonder if they will be back.  A couple of weeks ago, I thought for sure they would

Yip. I hear you. I thought the same thing as you three weeks ago. But if this season and their play keeps trending as is. I suspect they will pull the plug. They are proud people. 

44 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Definitely rather have the pick I’d rather have an 18 year old Kole Lind than a 31 year old Bozak. I mean if Bozak was a toss in for cap purposes and we were still getting the pick yeah for sure but if it came down to one or the other 2nd rounder > Bozak! Bozak helps you for the last 30 games of this season and that’s it. The 2nd rounder could be a part of your team for years.

Yeah there have been a lot of great defenders who got drafted in the second round.  Would u rather a 3rd or Bozak with a 2-3 yr extension?

26 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Dorsett was a great mentor.  As for Canuck Culture, gimme a break! He played for the Rangers.  Ranger culture.  There's a difference.

Totally disagree. Once Dorsett came to Vancouver be established a culture here. A culture that Horvat stated was integral to his development. 

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah there have been a lot of great defenders who got drafted in the second round.  Would u rather a 3rd or Bozak with a 2-3 yr extension?

The 3rd rounder more lottery tickets the better. If you really want Bozak he’s a UFA this summer. Really no rush to get him he’s not saving anything for us this year. Just sign him during free agency this summer trust me Toronto won’t sign him he’ll hit the market.

i wish we knew what type of offers Jim was getting.  just to have a rough idea so I can brace myself if its a terrible offer like a 3rd rounder.  But if it were like Kapanen and Dermott or something.  that might make me feel better lol.  Kaps shorty was good tonite.  Dermott seems like a gamer but yet again another lefty.  

Archived