The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tampa looking for Veteran D

86Viking

https://www.fanragsports.com/mckenzie-believes-lightning-will-try-to-acquire-veteran-defenseman/

The Tampa Bay Lightning may own the best record in the National Hockey League, but it doesn’t appear as if general manager Steve Yzerman will be resting on his laurels between now and February 26.

“They’ve got arguably the best goaltender in the league,” noted hockey Insider Bob McKenzie of the club during a Monday morning radio hit on Edmonton’s TSN 1260. “Arguably one of the best defensemen in the league in Hedman. And they’ve got a really deep – I mean, when you’ve got Stamkos and Kucherov and Namestnikov and those guys rooted at the high end, but you’ve also got Brayden Point, who’s emerging as a front-line offensive talent in the National Hockey League at such a young age and against all odds because he was such a small player that was overlooked for so long and a later-round pick.

“This is a real good team and I would expect they’re only going to get better between now and the trade deadline. They’re looking for defense help and I think they’re going to really try to bolster their blueline. I don’t think Steve Yzerman is going to be too shy about mortgaging a chunk of the future, whether it’s first-round picks or prospects – and they’ve got a lot of prospects.

Would love to get Edler to waive or Tanev to go to TB. Not only because they have some great prospects, but to actually give these guys a legit chance at a cup!

Hmmm Edler loves Vancouver but perhaps he'll waive to play with Hedman? 

No doubt he'll still spend his summers here though. I'm sure he feels the same way I do about Tampa being a dumpster. 

I'd do something like...

Peca/Gourde + 2018 1st + 2019 2nd for Edler 

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hmmm Edler loves Vancouver but perhaps he'll waive to play with Hedman? 

No doubt he'll still spend his summers here though. I'm sure he feels the same way I do about Tampa being a dumpster. 

I'd do something like...

Peca/Gourde + 2018 1st + 2019 2nd for Edler 

Gourde has another yr @ 1m, hard to see them moving him with that deal and his 18g 18a so far this year.

With the emergence of Point, would they dangle Johnson? He has a 5m cap hit, so that helps them longer term also. Not sure if he is the ideal fit for us with him being 27. Think we would be after:

1st/2nd round pick

Howden/Stephens/Raddysh/katchouk/Volkov

Foote/Cernak

They got great pieces to try and acquire. 

Yzerman would not want Edler if he was after one of our D it would be Tanev. I'm pretty sure Yzerman would be offering Brayden Point for Tanev which I would not do unless there is another big piece coming back to Vancouver. 

Brayden Point and Cal Foote for Tanev would be my offer.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I just want killorn on the team so we can hear the boys say things like:

"ya killer made a good pass and I just had to be there"

or

"killer threw a big hit early and really got us goin"

Or "killer made a killer pass and would kill to have been there and kill that puck into the net"

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Yzerman would not want Edler if he was after one of our D it would be Tanev. I'm pretty sure Yzerman would be offering Brayden Point for Tanev which I would not do unless there is another big piece coming back to Vancouver. 

And you know that Yzerman wouldn't want Edler because.......

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

And you know that Yzerman wouldn't want Edler because.......

Because he isn't stupid. Edler coughs up the puck under pressure in his own end and that's what Tampa is trying to fix. Tanev is exactly what he will be looking for. Seeing how Yzerman trades I am betting he will try to trade Point straight up for Tanev. 

13 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Are you kidding? You wouldn't do Tanev for Point? That's a steal for us and there's no way that Yzerman does that. Why ruin all your secondary scoring?

If they're going for the cup, they're looking to add components, not swap them. They'll be moving picks or prospects, not established young players that'll put up 60 points. 

If we are gonna entertain a Tanev trade I see Tampa as the best fit. They have a plethora of prospects I am interested in. Would a 1st, one of Howden/Katchouk/Raddysh and either Cirelli or Joseph suffice . Maybe Koekkoek if we want a D back. A package around those players would make me happy. Of course Tanev would waive to play for his idol Yzerman.

They've got Hedman, Stralman, Dotchin, Sergachev, Coburn, Sustr and Girardi. Girardi is currently injured.

They could clearly use a right-handed upgrade on Sustr and maybe to a lesser extent Dotchin. 

I do think Edler could waive to Tampa to play behind Hedman, but probably not the same pairing, unless Hedman plays on the right too. Tampa really could use a guy like Tanev, or maybe even Guddy. Sustr really shouldn't be in their top 6. I guess he is filling in for Girardi. 

I'm not sure we are a good fit. But this would be one way of embracing the rebuild and getting a couple of decent pieces. We could honestly even take back one of Sustr/Girardi or Coburn. Probably Sustr, since he is a UFA.
But the point of a trade like this would not be to lose talent up front. Point is worth as much as Boeser at this point to TB. He will not be coming back for Tanev. We are much more likely to get one of their younger assets. Of which they have many. 

Targets:
W: Katchouk, Raddysh, Yan, Volkov, Joseph
C: Howden, Stephens, Cirelli, Lipanov, Peca, Somppi
D: Koekkoek, Foote, Hajek
Good lord Tampa has a solid prospect pool... 

I'd target Hajek in a trade based on Edler, (we aren't getting Foote).
I'd target Stephens and Foote in a trade based on Tanev.

Archived