The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tampa looking for Veteran D

86Viking

6 minutes ago, ohmy said:

If we are gonna entertain a Tanev trade I see Tampa as the best fit. They have a plethora of prospects I am interested in. Would a 1st, one of Howden/Katchouk/Raddysh and either Cirelli or Joseph suffice . Maybe Koekkoek if we want a D back. A package around those players would make me happy. Of course Tanev would waive to play for his idol Yzerman.

I’d be thrilled with Howden, Cirelli and their 1st. I’d really push for Foote though. 

18 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Because he isn't stupid. Edler coughs up the puck under pressure in his own end and that's what Tampa is trying to fix. Tanev is exactly what he will be looking for. Seeing how Yzerman trades I am betting he will try to trade Point straight up for Tanev. 

So, you're assuming. Ok.

Edler has actually been playing well this season, and would be a great supplementary addition to an established defense like Tampa's. So would Tanev, but Edler has the size that works better with Tampa's defense, more so than Tanev.

Trading for Edler is not stupid at all, if Edler was to waive.

4 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Are you kidding? You wouldn't do Tanev for Point? That's a steal for us and there's no way that Yzerman does that. Why ruin all your secondary scoring?

If they're going for the cup, they're looking to add components, not swap them. They'll be moving picks or prospects, not established young players that'll put up 60 points. 

That line is small and likely be irrelevant in the playoffs. I'd try to snag O'Reilly from Buffalo and get Tanev on D and then you've got a pretty unbeatable team.

If they are seriously looking, I would consider Tanev for Girardi, 1st and Raddysh or Katchouk or Foote or Koekkoek. The Giradi part is not so much because I want Girardi but Stevie Y is not going to just give - to get the good stuff back you need to make it worth his while. Preference would be on Foote back but hard to say if Yzerman would do that - we all know how tough it is to get good D prospects and especially right shots. Definitely makes us worse as Tanev is our best D but sure helps out the future. Really need to get a second first round pick this draft and a top end prospect would be a great return. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So, you're assuming. Ok.

Edler has actually been playing well this season, and would be a great supplementary addition to an established defense like Tampa's. So would Tanev, but Edler has the size that works better with Tampa's defense, more so than Tanev.

Trading for Edler is not stupid at all, if Edler was to waive.

I wouldn't have guessed that based on this forum. Turnover machine, doesn't hit, never passes to Boeser, rabble, rabble, rabble. However, this speculation comes up and suddenly people think we are going to get their top picks and prospects for him. Let's not forget because of this speculation and if we do not trade Edler to them, it's going to turn to the get rid of Benning stance.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I wouldn't have guessed that based on this forum. Turnover machine, doesn't hit, never passes to Boeser, rabble, rabble, rabble.

He's made some gaffes, but gaffes that every defenseman makes from time to time. He has been quietly putting up some nice numbers and playing a consistent and physical game.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

However, this speculation comes up and suddenly people think we are going to get their top picks and prospects for him. Let's not forget because of this speculation and if we do not trade Edler to them, it's going to turn to the get rid of Benning stance.

Edler would have to be approached to waive his clause first and foremost, and then agree to waive. If that did happen, I could see him yielding Foote as a return to the Canucks. He is regarded around the league as a solid second pairing defenseman, and would be a solid addition to that defense.

The speculation is actually looking at New York for McDonagh as per Larry Brooks.

Rangers apparently willing to eat up to 50% to maximize return.

If that's the case we've literally no dog in that fight as even the Wild are looking at him

Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Lightning assistant GM Pat Verbeek scouted a Rangers game last week. Rangers assistant GM Chris Drury watched the Lightning’s AHL team last week. There is a mutual interest in a potential Ryan McDonagh trade. It’s believed the Rangers are willing to retain half of McDonagh’s $4.7 million salary cap hit to maximize the returns.

The Minnesota Wild could also have interest in McDonagh.

The Rangers could also be willing to retain 50 percent of Rick Nash‘s $7.8 million cap hit. The Nashville Predators, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks, and maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins could be interested in Nash.

Prior post aside.  ANY trade with Tampa HAS to settle around their 1st and or Foote or a top prospect as this is their year to win it all and losing one or both this years late 1st and or a top prospect from the organization won't hurt if the cup is lifted

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's made some gaffes, but gaffes that every defenseman makes from time to time. He has been quietly putting up some nice numbers and playing a consistent and physical game.

Edler would have to be approached to waive his clause first and foremost, and then agree to waive. If that did happen, I could see him yielding Foote as a return to the Canucks. He is regarded around the league as a solid second pairing defenseman, and would be a solid addition to that defense.

I'm not disagreeing with you whatssoever, I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of noise here about how terrible Edler (and several other players) is and suddenly some speculation like this happens and they think we could fetch the best from other teams with the players they trash all year. I don't think we would be able to get Foote, but maybe Koekkoek and possibly their 1st as being the principle of a trade around this.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you whatssoever, I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of noise here about how terrible Edler (and several other players) is and suddenly some speculation like this happens and they think we could fetch the best from other teams with the players they trash all year. I don't think we would be able to get Foote, but maybe Koekkoek and possibly their 1st as being the principle of a trade around this.

Fair enough.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That's because those people wouldn't know a good D, if one cross checked them in the face :lol:

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

When was the last time Vancouver traded with Tampa? I cannot even recall when we last did.  They have a boatload full of great prospects. Their scouting has been some of the best in a very long time.

Ballard

Edit. I meant garrison 

Archived