The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks recall Philip Holm from Utica

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Holm came to camp and excepted his demotion. He went down and worked hard to get ready for his chance. He has earned a shot. This is also what developing is all about. Now he gets to see if he can handle the next level and so does management.

Is there a trade coming? Maybe, or they just want to see what they have and Tanev's injury gives them a window to squeeze him in for a game of two. Maybe another club wants to see him ! Who knows what is up. 

2 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, yes it is.  Playoff-teams only have room for one or two prospects at a time, if that - we've currently got 6 to 12 AHL-caliber players on our roster (depending on how you rate them).

Most of those are not prospects they are called fillers. The team has had fillers for a few years now.

7 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, yes it is.  Playoff-teams only have room for one or two prospects at a time, if that - we've currently got 6 to 12 AHL-caliber players on our roster (depending on how you rate them).

What point are you arguing here? Are you saying the Canucks are possibly a playoff team and therefore should NOT be playing prospects? What am I missing here bud?

Clearly...and I mean CLEARLY we are NOT a playoff bound team...we're not a bubble team...we're not a playoff outsider looking to push their way in...we're not in the 10 to 12 teams that are closest to final playoff spot! We're a top 5 Draft Pick team.

In ALL of modern sports history...I don't care...pick a sport...GM's typically start to take a look at their prospects in a Pro setting once they know (for a fact) that their team is eliminated (eg/ see Vancouver Canucks circa 2017 and a young man by the name of Brock Boeser...you'll get the connection there)...this has been done for decades now (not sure if you're new to hockey...if so...free lesson for ya here). So nothing new here, typical NHL fare...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Guile said:

?? Utica is 10-0-2 in their last 12 and are (barely) 2nd in their division

Demko and then guys just need to step up.   Farm teams are what they are.   Do you think Archie and crew would rather be down playing for a playoff spot or up in the show?

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

10 days isn't a lot. Plus, we have Biega who is our seventh defenceman at the moment. This call-up doesn't make sense unless they slot Holm in the lineup and see a glimpse of him.

UNLESS  - D's are going to be moved!   

36 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

What point are you arguing here? Are you saying the Canucks are possibly a playoff team and therefore should NOT be playing prospects? What am I missing here bud?

You are missing the fact that Canucks management has started tanking at the very last minute two years in a row now.  Which tells you that they are delusional and have no clue just how bad their team is (otherwise they would have started tanking much sooner each season).

Phillip Holm on Sportsnet 650 : "If it doesn't happen this season, I would want to come back with the franchise. I didn't come over to give it only 1 year. I know for most European players there is an option to go back but my goal has always been to play in the NHL. #Canucks

We only have him signed for one year. He becomes  a RFA, but looks like he will re-sign to take a shot at next year.
He had a few problems defensively in pre-season but looked great offensively. I trust Cull helped him develop better zone coverage.
Hopefully we get to see him on the PP2.
11 goals 18 assists in 42 games.

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Demko and then guys just need to step up.   Farm teams are what they are.   Do you think Archie and crew would rather be down playing for a playoff spot or up in the show?

I think we're actually in agreement; Pete said that Utica was floundering (or something), so I pointed out that they've been on a spectacular run lately. I think it's great to reward the guys like Archie, Goldy, Holm and Boucher, who've all been key players for the Comets. They've thoroughly earned their call-ups. This has already allowed others to step up, Zack MacEwen and Alexis D'Aoust, for example. 

22 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Phillip Holm on Sportsnet 650 : "If it doesn't happen this season, I would want to come back with the franchise. I didn't come over to give it only 1 year. I know for most European players there is an option to go back but my goal has always been to play in the NHL. #Canucks

We only have him signed for one year. He becomes  a RFA, but looks like he will re-sign to take a shot at next year.
He had a few problems defensively in pre-season but looked great offensively. I trust Cull helped him develop better zone coverage.
Hopefully we get to see him on the PP2.
11 goals 18 assists in 42 games.

10 bucks says Green deploys him better than Desjardins ever could....  I feel for Team Canada, regardless of the talent we ice.

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You are missing the fact that Canucks management has started tanking at the very last minute two years in a row now.  Which tells you that they are delusional and have no clue just how bad their team is (otherwise they would have started tanking much sooner each season).

I see how it has worked for the Oilers after tanking for a decade.

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Play holm and put M DZ  on the market immediately.....     Holm is a younger version of  MDZ and has way more upside due to his younger age..

Time to start selling....

I agree that Holm and Del Zotto are fairly similar....even their ages (Holm is approximately 18 months younger)

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

True, but the teams chasing them are not far behind. It's a close race. A team can also go on a losing streak (key players out of the line up) and quickly fall in the standings.

I've been watching them for a while now...only recently, they were 5 points out of a playoff spot and have gone on a great run to get them to where they are today.

However, they have to keep winning because the competition is tough. What I'm saying is "they can't lose too many of their top players because they may not be able to compete with the other teams who are close".

Virtual tie for 2d, 3d and 4th in the north, but 5th is a long way off.  Big game tomorrow against Syracuse.  Bancks, Megna, Chatfield, Woods, Brisebois(?) are all out so we have some injuries too. Molino is iffy I think still, and Labate is coming back from illness.  He has had a rough year.  But I think Demko gets the start so we have a chance.

Archived