The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] is this enough to get Karlsson?

JM_

I think Karlsson's past his prime now, and is not worth the investment of our first rounders, which could get pretty good. Obviously not as good as Karlsson was, but he'll never be that player again. Footspeed is impacted.    Who skates better, Karlsson, coffey or keith btw?

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Ottawa is a tire fire. No one went for Karlsson this TDL.... so is there a window for us to try to get him before the end of the season?

Here's my suggestion, is it enough? A lot of 1st rounders have flown the coop already for 2018, so we may have an edge over other teams if we finally want a 1D. 

To VAN: EK, Bobby Ryan 50% salary retained.

To OTT: Guddy, Hutton, Goldy, protected 1st rounder (top 3 lotto protected, unprotected 2019 1st if we win a top 3 2018 spot). 

Caveat that we are also able to negotiate an EK extension.

Not worth it for us really.

Imagine the Oilers stepping up and offering RNH, Lucic, Klefbom or Nurse, this years 1st (top 2 protected) and this years 2nd for Ryan and Karlsson.  Contingent upon an extension

Already a better deal for the Sens and while it screws the Oil.  They can then deal with the endless worries about a $10 million extension.  Or a Draisatl, a 2018 2nd and 2019 first for Karlsson and Ryan.  Again, already a better contingent upon them making cap moves to fit it all in.

Someone else will step in and wildly overpay thus handcuffing their team with his contract demands and the loss of futures.  Not worth it for us

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Ottawa is a tire fire. No one went for Karlsson this TDL.... so is there a window for us to try to get him before the end of the season?

Here's my suggestion, is it enough? A lot of 1st rounders have flown the coop already for 2018, so we may have an edge over other teams if we finally want a 1D. 

To VAN: EK, Bobby Ryan 50% salary retained.

To OTT: Guddy, Hutton, Goldy, protected 1st rounder (top 3 lotto protected, unprotected 2019 1st if we win a top 3 2018 spot). 

Caveat that we are also able to negotiate an EK extension.

Ottawa says they want 8 pieces coming back.  They cant all be 1st rounders, so I am sure they are expecting a lot of B prospects.

Ryan (25% retained)

Karlsson

for

Hutton

Stecher (with karlsson where does he fit? Karlsson will play 25+minutes on the right side in all offensive situations)

Goldobin

Gaunce

Baertschi

Granlund

2019 1st round pick

2018 2nd round pick

2019 2nd round pick

9 pieces, 6 with NHL experience, all very young. 

I would still do it.  Karlsson makes this team a playoff team.  Ryan then traded to Anaheim with some salary retained to get him off the roster.

if ottawa is packaging Ryan in a Karlson trade they are not going to take salary back the whole point of it is so they wouldn't be spending that money.

from our perspective we have a ton of cap so maybe we could fit that all into our structure but that's alot of potential issues when our Boesers, Pettersons and Gaudettes.

I'd rather utilized our cap structure within the next 2 years to take on bad contracts with term to affect only those 2 years and accumulate assets that way

56 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Ottawa says they want 8 pieces coming back.  They cant all be 1st rounders, so I am sure they are expecting a lot of B prospects.

8! I hadn't heard that. wow. For that teams will want to guarantee an extension for sure. 

56 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

No, I don't think any of them would be gone.  They have to trade him and want to trade him, so they will take less.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would have to be done without those guys... probably tanks it then. 

If they were going to take scraps for Karlsson they already would have.

You want elite coming in? Elite is going out. There's no way around it. Though Melnik is a cheap SOB, I doubt he's put Dorion in a position to settle on a Karlsson trade.

Some team will be able to part with the assets that we can't afford to lose in order to land him.  

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

He wasn't a pending UFA, so OTT had 0 rush to deal him unless they got an extreme return or a great return and dumped Ryan's contract. Even at next TDL Karlsson will have big time value as a rental and will have lots of interested teams.

Imagine TB getting Karlsson next deadline...

Hedman Karlsson

Serg McDonagh

Damn!

How do they afford that..?

51 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The only swedish d-man we need is Dahlin. 

Edler quietly sobs.... 

I guess its my inner vulture kicking in, I just have to wonder how dysfunctional the front office is in Ottawa right now and if we can take advantage of that, 

Archived