The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scr*w the Whiners and the Bandwagoners

*Buzzsaw*

Really tired of turning to these boards and hearing a bunch of drunken know-nothing whiners complain about the team.

I'll say it:  I like the direction the team is going in.  I like the foundation which is being built.

Yeah, in the standings, the team is nowhere... but there is a reason for that.

The Canucks came out of the gate well... showed good confidence and resilience and were several games over .500 when the massive wave of injuries hit... and that is what killed the team this year...  not bad players, or lack of talent.

Almost 20 games of being beaten down with an AHL lineup cost most of the team's confidence.

Now Green is trying to rebuild the team's identity again, and that is not an easy task in the middle of the season.

But even if this team does not rebound this season, there is huge room for optimism next year.

Anyone with half a brain can look at our prospects and see they are stacked.

How many are leading their leagues in scoring or any number of stats?  A lot.

Of course, the instant gratification/short attention span bozos who populate this board can't see what is front of their faces because they have just downed a two pack of cheap beer and their eyeballs are rotating back in their skulls.

You know what?  F* 'em all.  If they are too stupid to see what is being built, then they are too stupid to be worth paying any attention to.

Trevor and Jim:  Keep on doing what you're doing and don't waste your time listening to the droolers howling at the moon.

I'll vent some frustration over an individual game or 2, but I'm 100% on board with the direction of the team.  If Benning had listened to CDC's armchair geniuses we'd have Konecny and Glass instead of Boeser and Pettersson.    Next season will probably be slightly better, but we'll have a lot more of our youth on the farm in Utica, growing together.

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll vent some frustration over an individual game or 2, but I'm 100% on board with the direction of the team.  If Benning had listened to CDC's armchair geniuses we'd have Konecny and Glass instead of Boeser and Pettersson.    Next season will probably be slightly better, but we'll have a lot more of our youth on the farm in Utica, growing together.

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't always seen eye to eye with you, Heff, but I'm raising my glass to you now for sure.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Really tired of turning to these boards and hearing a bunch of drunken know-nothing whiners complain about the team.

I'll say it:  I like the direction the team is going in.  I like the foundation which is being built.

The Canucks came out of the gate well... showed good confidence and resilience and were several games over .500 when the massive wave of injuries hit... and that is what killed the team this year...  not bad players, or lack of talent.

Almost 20 games of being beaten down with an AHL lineup cost most of the team's confidence.

Now Green is trying to rebuild the team's identity again, and that is not an easy task in the middle of the season.

But even if this team does not rebound this season, there is huge room for optimism next year.

Of course, the instant gratification/short attention span bozos who populate this board can't see what is front of their faces because they have just downed a two pack of cheap beer and their eyeballs are rotating back in their skulls.

You know what?  F* 'em all.  If they are too stupid to see what is being built, then they are too stupid to be worth paying any attention to.

Trevor and Jim:  Keep on doing what you're doing and don't waste your time listening to the droolers howling at the moon.

Cool, so in the interest of free speech and the fact this isn't locked, I'll go ahead and say f*ck the idiot's that cant criticize this team. If your too blind and stupid to see how badly this team has been managed (including the last GM) then I don't care about your points either. Anyone with half a brain can see we still have some mammoth veteran contracts, haven't gotton tougher, faster, or harder to play with. Just because you drank 3 cheap beer and have your eyes rolling around the back of your head doesn't give you anymore insight into the future of this team or how our unproven prospects will turn out. 

In short

Get the f*ck over yourself, stop making excuses for a professional team/business, because you aren't more important than the next fan, and neither is your pie eyed, rose colored, gullible view of the THIRD WORST TEAM IN THE NHL FOR 2 YEARS RUNNING.

Keep defending them though, they need idiot's to fund this rebuild that was inevitable after years of bad contracts and bad moves.

I'm taking a more balance viewpoint on things.

Philosophically, I'm aligned with what Benning is trying to do.  I also believe in the 'draft and develop' model and I agree that keeping around certain vets is an important thing, otherwise you end up with AZ and EDM.

That said, I'll also agree that Benning's execution hasn't been perfect; but then, I don't expect Benning (or anyone else) to be perfect.  Most of the people doing the whining and bitching seem to expect such perfection.

If DET fans were like the hardcore negative nannies in the Canucks fanbase, they'd be apoplectic that Holland failed to get anything for Mike Green and probably would whine about the return for Mrazek or wonder why they didn't try to trade away Howard instead because he's older.  DET has a lot of picks for this summer but they have zero blue-chip prospects in the pipeline now.

People are applauding NYR for what they did at the deadline without actually considering the fact that the Rangers cupboard is also pretty bare right now and they're gonna need all the draft picks they accrued--and they too have a number of bad contracts, including the ill-advised Shattenkirk deal in the summer.  If Rangers fans were like complaining Canucks fans, they'd be angry about not trading Staal instead of McDonagh, whining about Lundqvist's refusal to waive his NMC and so on.

That leads to my next point: development.  Sure, there are rare top-end draft picks who can make the transition right out of their draft year, but most do not.  Draft picks are great, but they don't mean squat unless a team can draft beyond the first round and have a solid development program for those later picks (ask Edmonton about that).  And here's the important part: development takes time.  Even Boeser needed two years past his draft year in the college system.  Some types of players require longer development: power forwards like what Canucks fans hope Virtanen will become usually take longer than pure skill players; defencemen take longer to develop and goalies even longer than that. 

So NYR and DET (I'm picking on them because they're the current darlings with all their draft picks) are far from being 'ahead' of the Canucks in their rebuild--even IF they score home runs with every pick they've got (which is more than highly unlikely because no team ever does), they're still going to have to wait at least a couple of years for most those picks to become NHLers.  Just like we're waiting for the Canucks prospects to hopefully become.

And make no mistake: there is no guarantee that any, never mind all of our blue-chippers will pan out.  I've watched hockey long enough to see many highly-touted "blue-chip" prospects fail to meet those lofty expectations.  Hell, Markstrom himself used to be one of those--there's no shortage of examples throughout the league.  When it comes to the Canucks prospects, I'm not counting my metaphorical chickens before they hatch.

There is truth to the cliché that I'm about to paraphrase: the team and management aren't nearly as bad as what the worst things people have to say, but they also aren't nearly as good as what best things people have to say, either.

can't see what is front of their faces because they have just downed a two pack of cheap beer and their eyeballs are rotating back in their skulls.

... says the guy who posts a rambling drunken rant at midnight 

People get to think and say what they want.  There is no type of “real” fan that is superior to others.

Yeah, I can't believe how upset people are that we couldn't get a draft pick for Vanek. Had we gotten a fifth round pick instead of Motte for Vanek, would people have been happy? Don't think so. Then, it would be like, "5th round pick? JB sucks! Vanek is worth at least a 2nd round pick because so and so got a 2nd round pick and Vanek has same number of points as so and so."

You know what's worse than fans who overly critique their team? 

Fans who can't handle harsh criticism about their team and sing praises, like everything they do is the right move. On top of that, they think the league has some sort of vendetta against them, when things don't go their way (ie: officiating).

2 hours ago, Davathor said:

Cool, so in the interest of free speech and the fact this isn't locked, I'll go ahead and say f*ck the idiot's that cant criticize this team. If your too blind and stupid to see how badly this team has been managed (including the last GM) then I don't care about your points either. Anyone with half a brain can see we still have some mammoth veteran contracts, haven't gotton tougher, faster, or harder to play with. Just because you drank 3 cheap beer and have your eyes rolling around the back of your head doesn't give you anymore insight into the future of this team or how our unproven prospects will turn out. 

In short

Get the f*ck over yourself, stop making excuses for a professional team/business, because you aren't more important than the next fan, and neither is your pie eyed, rose colored, gullible view of the THIRD WORST TEAM IN THE NHL FOR 2 YEARS RUNNING.

Keep defending them though, they need idiot's to fund this rebuild that was inevitable after years of bad contracts and bad moves.

Arty57 is that you? If he drank 3 beers you drank a case and about a 5th of jack. First, check your facts. Hint it won't make you look as dumb. Mammoth contracts? besides Louie after this season who else has a mammoth contract. And if you say, Edler, I will hunt you down and give you the slap you Dad obviously never did. Heres A fact buds. after this year we have more cap room than anybody. With no big internal contracts to sign. Man douches like should have their own sight. Oh, wait there is. its called HF you will fit right in, making fun of A team that has Currently has 5 prospects either leading their league in ppg or ppg for players under 20. Go join   A Calgary or leafs forum as well you will fit right in. Remember this next year and please do not cheer for this team while we make the playoffs. Oh, crap 6  prospects forgot about Demko. Wait 7 forgot about Tram lol. D bag.

Its amazing to see how dumb and blind some of these fans are. Everyone whining and complaining about how JM couldnt get draft picks while there were so many teams handing them out. As if they those pick were gonna come our way in the first place.

Its kinda like an ulgy fat guy sitting there scratching his balls... How come i can't bang any hot girls? Not realising that you have absolutely nothing to offer for these girls to even wanna look at you. 

We had nothing close in value that could have got those picks other than...

Sedins (won't waive, won't even ask)

Edler (won't waive)

Tanev (injured)

Gud (signed)

What can the Canucks do when there is nothing that makes sense at the moment.

As of today we are the 4th worst team in the league.   This team is on life support right now.   They need a  major organ transplant .   What ever the old chemistry with this team is not working.   Management needs to get rid of the old core  ASAP.     Bring the Sedins back to mentor is total nonsense.    Virtanen and Goldobin should get 2nd line minutes next year, they can show what they can do with playing time.   Canucks are not losing because the young guys aren't doing their job.   

If I am the GM,  Tanev should be traded at the draft for picks,  when he still has decent value and he will be 29 next year.   Edler might waive NTC at the deadline next year.   Let's hope Sutter and Ericsson both have a good year next year , so we can trade them all.   The cap space on these two are such a waste.    Draft picks are more valuable then   proven NHL players.   We don't need any more decent proven 3rd line ,4th line players.  We have plenty .  We need lotto tickets , a lot of lotto tickets, hopefully one ticket turn in   to another star player like Boeser.    

This is more a vent and rant than any attempt to engage in a conversation so ill only address a few things in your post.

People advocating for picks are actually more patient than you give them credit for. Because they are willing to wait a few extra years on a prospect who has a higher Shot at being an impact player than a 22 yr old player acquired today who is more likely to make it the line up but tops out as a bottom 6 player or 3rd D. You might be able to field someone that can make the lineup today, but the odds of getting an elite player this way is slim to none imo. Not to mention you don't have the benefit of a cost controlled elc to help with your cap for those guys. 

Also, this team has been bottom 5 in the last 3 years. You can't accuse anyone still following this team right now of being a bandwagoner. Negative maybe but this is pretty much the opposite of people who jump on the teams side when the rewards are reaped. I'd say anyone with criticism who is still here cares just as much for the future of this team as you. Just in a different way with different opinions, and obviously with different levels of enjoyment and frustration.

I think in this age of social media you have to keep in mind. Someone having a different opinion on the team doesn't make them your enemy. At the end of the day, we're all fans of the same thing 

And for the record, no, I'm not totally on board with all the moves this team is making. I like our scouting and picks and we're definitely trending in the right direction, but this is more on account of the default 7 picks we receive each year (like every team) in the draft and the fact our team is bottoming out more than anything proactive the management team is doing to bolster the rebuild.  Ironically, if we had succeeded in the original vision of making playoffs I'd argue our team's future would be in a worse position now due to a worse drafting position. So really, the benefit of the prospect pool exists because management's initial stated goal of playoffs failed. 

And as much as I love our prospects we have a huge hole in the pipeline w upcoming defense. We have only Juolevi as a blue chipper. After spending picks on projects that didn't pan out (Pedan,  Larsen) we should just stick to drafting d and retaining/hiring picks, as our pro scouting on this area isn't as strong as our amateur scouting.

I'll agree with you in one sense. The results on the ice in the next few years will speak for themselves. I frankly don't see us making playoffs for at least 3 more years. Happy to be wrong though.

A healthy version of this team is a borderline playoff team. Not great, but okay and headed in the right direction. JB had many issues that needed to be dealt with. He has dealt with some. The remaining issues are the hardest to overcome. #1/ #3 d-men, #1 c, #1 lw, #1 g.  Getting 3rd/ 4th round picks won't fix those problems.

With all the statistical data available, I am unaware of what a 'normal' man-games lost to injury is. For two years, I think we have been way ahead of average. JB has given us good depth. I don't think that our injury picture is anywhere close to 'normal'.

I can't be bothered to check who it was, but love the irony of the poster who said 'your idiot's to fund this team'..........perfect irony !

5 hours ago, Davathor said:

In short

Cool story, soooo what would you do if you where GM? 

TRADE everyone, have this new team magically form an amazing bond and go onto to win the cup? Ohh let me guess you’d pick up karlsson, tavares, doughty, malkin, and tarasenko while keeping all draft picks and only loosing ericsson right??? 

You sir are the damn fool that doesnt understand that you cant just win a cup...

1 hour ago, jimmyking8888 said:

As of today we are the 4th worst team in the league.   This team is on life support right now.   They need a  major organ transplant .   What ever the old chemistry with this team is not working.   Management needs to get rid of the old core  ASAP.     Bring the Sedins back to mentor is total nonsense.    Virtanen and Goldobin should get 2nd line minutes next year, they can show what they can do with playing time.   Canucks are not losing because the young guys aren't doing their job.   

If I am the GM,  Tanev should be traded at the draft for picks,  when he still has decent value and he will be 29 next year.   Edler might waive NTC at the deadline next year.   Let's hope Sutter and Ericsson both have a good year next year , so we can trade them all.   The cap space on these two are such a waste.    Draft picks are more valuable then   proven NHL players.   We don't need any more decent proven 3rd line ,4th line players.  We have plenty .  We need lotto tickets , a lot of lotto tickets, hopefully one ticket turn in   to another star player like Boeser.    

There's a limit to the lotto ticket approach though.  Shero was talking about that when he took over the Devils in April 2015.  He explained that you just can't build through the draft alone because it would take for ages.  He also says there are only so many contracts you can sign.

There is the 50 contract limit.  To find a player especially in the later rounds you need volume but you can't concentrate volume over a short period of time because of the contract limits.  There are a lot of players that excel in other leagues but it does not mean that they will become successful pros let alone NHLers.  There's only so many that can get signed and developed by a team.  

Players also have a timeline before they become UFAs and not every prospect develop at the same pace.  It could set the team back to move contributing players before there are suitable replacements.  Top UFAs show little interest to come to rebuilding teams, especially in a fish bowl market.  Developing prospects with players who should be in the AHL is not a recipe for success.  There is no challenge - no one that pushes them to get better.  Boudreau was talking about how the injuries on the Wild created complacency because guys knew they wouldn't come out of the lineup, and his team is made up of veterans.  

Development is just as important as drafting.  It's about finding the right balance between drafting, UFAs signing and trades.

6 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

One thing I'm sure we all can agree on is scr*w it, we want to see the Canucks win the Cup one day. 

43 years and counting for this fan....

I wonder which will happen first - us winning the cup or getting the 1st overall draft pick?

As far as this year, only positive is the increase in goals for (2.67 avg compared to only 2.21 last year).

Edit: just to add - that's a good thing - increased goal production.

Archived