The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson done for the year with fractured rib. Will he ever find a place in VAN?

Adarsh Sant

Loui Eriksson  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Lot's of available ice time for the kids. The guy who may benefit the most from Louie's injury could be Archie. He can set himself up with a nice contract if he plays lights out for the remaining 20 or so games.

Give Loui sometime to watch the kids and maybe help him refocus for next year.

10 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

We don't have a lot of choices in the matter.

He is signed with the Canucks for a while.

Let's hope next season will be better.

I have been observing a definite improvement in his play when he is placed with Sutter and Archibald... so it may be that is where he ends... on the shutdown line.

Expensive shut down line. He plays hard once in awhile , I think he's lost his drive. Wish somehow we could get rid of him.

Idk why they keep signing vets there's enough on the team already. Clearly management's plans of having vets teach rookies how to play the right way isn't working. Maybe we should get Brock to show the rookies the right way to play.

Personally, I think this year was better for him, so it's unfortunate that his injury will make everyone forget that. He'll probably never earn his cap hit, but he could have a role as a defensive player and some secondary offense.

Some possibilities are:

1. He is waived, and claimed.
  2. He is waived, clears, and demands a trade.
  3. He OK's a trade for legit interest.
  4. He OK's a trade for cap ceiling interest.
  5. We lose him to expansion.
  6. He is permanently injured and we get LTIR.
  7. He just retires.
  8. We are stuck with him until at least 2020.  <--- Most probable.

F1lBhvU.png

Hate to say this but it's better for the team to give the minutes to a young player trying to break out.  This is the time of year we need to play these guys, I know Utica is amping up for the stretch, maybe try two guys for a bit 

38 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Eriksson will still be a useful forward provided that his spirit doesn't get too low with being on a rebuilding team (I'm pretty sure he didn't sign on for this).  Even if Eriksson wanted out, his contract is essentially unmovable given his lack of production and his cap hit, though never say never I suppose... 

Assuming Eriksson stays and accepts a supporting role, I think he could be a good mentor for our younger players and, at minimum, he could help to shelter them as well.  Who knows, Eriksson might be a beneficiary of Pettersson if EP makes the jump to the NHL quickly.

Will Eriksson ever be a 50+ point guy again?  Doesn't seem like it though he's not that old.  Doesn't mean that he's valueless moving forward unless he flat out quits trying (which would be a shame - he's had a good career).  This is something that Eriksson will need to deal with this summer unless the Canucks can somehow find him a deal with a contender.

Eriksson can retire at any time, walk away to a season in the SEL, then return to the NHL for another crack. Doubt if honour and pride outweighed 6 mil for four more years. 

Archived