The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remember the "Pharma bro" Martin Shkreli? Justice is served.

Tystick

https://twitter.com/AP/status/972184607142629377

Judge ruled earlier this week that Shkreli would have to forfeit more than $7.3 million

Shkreli, 34, became notorious for raising the price of a lifesaving drug by 5,000 per cent and trolling critics on the internet with his snarky "Pharma Bro" persona.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/martin-shkreli-fraud-sentencing-1.4569397

I agree the way he did this was unacceptable. However, they have drugs that will save thousands of lives and they market them at such a price we don't even hear about half of the cures. When he purchased this product he did what all pharm companies do. He just did it after the fact, which is why this was so high profile. It's wrong either way you look at it but this is barely a win.

People who actually think he did anything wrong are mindless drones who believed in the media who vilified him. 

Do some research on big pharma along with the actual accessibility of the drugs he imposed his price hikes on. This happens on a regular basis. The price hike was against other companies who wanted to buy. Anyone with insurance did not have to pay these prices, and many who didn't have any insurance received the drug for free from him directly. 

He pissed off some of the big pharma companies for costing them money and they wanted revenge. 

It's disgusting how the majority of people will blindly believe what they see on TV without finding the actual facts out for themselves. 

6 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

People who actually think he did anything wrong are mindless drones who believed in the media who vilified him. 

Do some research on big pharma along with the actual accessibility of the drugs he imposed his price hikes on. This happens on a regular basis. The price hike was against other companies who wanted to buy. Anyone with insurance did not have to pay these prices, and many who didn't have any insurance received the drug for free from him directly. 

He pissed off some of the big pharma companies for costing them money and they wanted revenge. 

It's disgusting how the majority of people will blindly believe what they see on TV without finding the actual facts out for themselves. 

Lol. Raising the drug price may have been what brought him to the public's attention but Shkreli has proven himself to be a complete douchebag many times over since then. 

10 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Why are you talking about doing research on big pharma when the convictions Shkreli received had nothing to do with drug accessibility? 

The judge insisted that the punishment was not about Shkreli's online antics or raising the cost of the drug.

From another article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/martin-shkreli-sentencing-hearing-1.4564468

Jurors had found that Shkreli lied to investors about the performance of two hedge funds he ran, MSMB Capital and MSMB Healthcare, and conspired to manipulate the stock price of the drug company Retrophin Inc.

It is as if you are calling people mindless drones while simultaneously failing to realize what the issue is here. 

54 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Why are you talking about doing research on big pharma when the convictions Shkreli received had nothing to do with drug accessibility? 

From another article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/martin-shkreli-sentencing-hearing-1.4564468

It is as if you are calling people mindless drones while simultaneously failing to realize what the issue is here. 

I am not. I am talking about the overall portrayal of him and the unjustified hate he has received. I am well aware he was only convicted of 3 of his 8 total criminal charges. That's beyond my point. 

20 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I am not. I am talking about the overall portrayal of him and the unjustified hate he has received. I am well aware he was only convicted of 3 of his 8 total criminal charges. That's beyond my point. 

You said "People who actually think he did anything wrong are mindless drones", implying that you do not think that he did anything wrong. That is pretty off base considering he was convicted. Is there something you are aware of that the jury/judge do not know? I like that you tried to mitigate everything by saying that he was only convicted of three of his eight crimes.:lol:

46 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

The hate he's received is well justified. Financial scumbags rarely come bigger or more conniving than Shkreli. The guy's entire business model was repeating what he did with the drug "Diaprim" over and over again.

Prior to his career "re-pricing" drugs he ran several hedge funds. I use the term "hedge" loosely as all this degenerate gambler did was place heavily leveraged one sided bets and wipe out several accounts. Leaving others to eat the losses. His dereliction of fiduciary duty to his investors was mind boggling.

The irony is if he'd just kept his mouth shut he'd never have been charged with anything. Instead he had to pretend there was something pious about vulture capitalism and live stream himself behaving like a complete douche bag. Looking back it was also probably a bad idea offering his legion of followers $5000 to assault Hillary Clinton.

My only disappointment with this story is knowing he'll only serve a minimum 6 years.

He deserves everything he got especially his reputation. He brought this all on himself. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Archived