The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden interview Apr 3, 2018.....

Crabcakes

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes!

Dreger implies Carlson? Who is also a RHD which is what we need.  I'd also look at Green.  Green is at an age he may slip a few notches, ala Vanek, and be available a few weeks into UFA season.

It could be?  But I think not.  Hope not anyway...

The big key, is does signing a guy create a logjam that takes up a roster spot that really can and should be destined for a young player???

Currently, Danny removed, Leipsic & Goldobin are our #1 & #2 LW.  Dahlen is in the mix to challenge for a spot.  And Baer occupies a role when he's fit.  I don't think any of the incumbent LW's are lock Top 6 dynamic players. To me that does not hold any one prospect from grabbing either a top line, or 2knd line wing job if they earn it.Nor am I against bumping Baertschi to a 2rd line role. I think signing Kane depth chart wise, and considering a team need for snarl, remains as near perfect a move up front as may be available!

Further, what could be better for a young dynamic team than a guy who can skate like the wind, pop goals with any of three or four skilled & speedy young play makers we are developing, fight & draw match ups. 

We need a right handed D more, but boy Kane would also still be a boost.

I agree, my targets would be Green (and a corresponding Tanev trade) and maybe a guy like Bozak on shorter terms with higher cap to lure them here.

Kane's interesting as he can perform some of that stop gap role but is also young enough to be a complimentary player to the next core as well. I'd be ok with some mid range term on him vs the shorter term of the other guys.

We could also look at trading for guys like Jenner or Domi as options to signing Bozak and Kane. Then there's using cap space to take on contracts for prospects/picks etc.

Lots of options...going to be a fun summer to follow the moves.

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Could be a hint to Evander. If you want to come here the term and $ need to make sense.  + We are looking for character guys who can help lead the kids.

Could be a hint if you want to be here that's great but your going to have to either accept less term or cap and you MUST be a good role model.

James Neal showing his respect and leading Vegas over to the twins. Was wonderful. He also fits that veteran leadership to help insulate a the kids.

James will be 31 next season though and may want a huge contract.  So perhaps not the best option. Vanek and Hansen are some considerations. Love to Hansen back with Bo like Bos rookie season!

I would also dig having Hansen back. Will come cheap, has experience with the team, and will more than likely not take any meaningful time from potential kids. Not sure I want any big fish other than Tavares if he goes to Free Agency. Neal I can see re-signing with Vegas.

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I would also dig having Hansen back. Will come cheap, has experience with the team, and will more than likely not take any meaningful time from potential kids. Not sure I want any big fish other than Tavares if he goes to Free Agency. Neal I can see re-signing with Vegas.

I would have been on board with bringing Hansen back if we hadn't picked up Leip and Motte but the bottom of our lineup is getting pretty crowded now. Not sure we'll have the need or roster space.

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We need a right handed D more, but boy Kane would also still be a boost.

Both Benning and Linden are saying any free agent signings would have to have character and be role models. I would say that completely rules out Kane. :lol:

8 hours ago, cuporbust said:

The captain issue I don't like . I knew they would do this .

Imo they shouldn't wait and see. They should show faith in horvat and show him they are invested in his long term leadership 

they know a whole lot more about who is who in the dressing room and if they don't give it to someone, there's a reason why.  I still think it's not of the realm of possibility that they give it to Edler of Sutter until one of the young guys emerges

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

they know a whole lot more about who is who in the dressing room and if they don't give it to someone, there's a reason why.  I still think it's not of the realm of possibility that they give it to Edler of Sutter until one of the young guys emerges

Horvat is the obvious choice but is he ready?  There is talk of him losing sleep etc because of all the losing this year.  Dropping the responsibility on him may be too much at this point.  This is why the idea of leadership by committee is growing on me.  They can have 3 or 4 guys wearing A's and not have a Captain right now.  Within a year or 2, a leader will emerge.  Is it Horvat or Boeser or somebody else?  This way, they don't make somebody Captain then in a year, take it away from him.  I'm not sure if there is a veteran really worthy of being named Captain for one, and he might be pissed if it were just taken away one day.  Captain for me is a long term thing.

17 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure if these are supposed to be subtle hints at NOT being in on Kane. But rumor was they were in on acquiring him so maybe I am just reading into it too much. Looking for mentoring types in Free Agency. Sounds like we won't necessarily be in on big fish? Just 2ish years on some quality vets to help guide the youngins. Essentially a couple Sedins. :(

Vanek?

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Both Benning and Linden are saying any free agent signings would have to have character and be role models. I would say that completely rules out Kane. :lol:

Meh, I'm hard headed.  Last week I refused to believe the Twins would retire.

Kane is just turning 26 by memory.  Nothing outside our scope for young players.  And has the attributable speed and athleticism to tie in, improve the performance of young skill players. Character may be hard to claim, but will add a safer envirement for our young players, and that contributes in a different way.  Dorsett was also a loose goose, half out there personality. Not that he had trouble with the law.  The character they may be looking for is how hard you play the game, in which Kane qualifies easily?

I'm sticking with that theory, until proven wrong, anyway...  :P 

Benning said they would like to bring in a veteran UFA to guide the young players. This means Kane is a no-go IMO. No way Tavares comes here and doubtful we get Carlson. Just trying to be realistic. I think the last big name player they brought in was Sundin for a couple of months. That was 9 years ago.  I could potentially see the Canucks signing Bozak (32), so Pettersson can play wing or develop in Utica. And maybe they also sign Andrej Sustr (27), as Tanev's injuries pile up. Nothing fancy, but could be effective.

Don't we already have considerable veteran mentorship without signing some? There's L E . MDZ , Gags,  Sutter, Tanev. Edler - do we really need more.  Bo is a very mature player - we seem to have a swath of forwards - enough D - we seemed to make it through the injury bugs this year without totally gutting Utica.  Now I would maybe agree their is no 2 man combo in the line up that will put up the Sedins points next year  but we aren't a play off team next year  so maybe let's see if these  kids can pull it together over the season - see who id NHL ready - I think the mentors are there without  a signing.

And as for Cpt - I think we should just have  3 or 4  Alternates  for next season -  don't place anymore on Horvats shoulders  -  I see him as the leader eventually.  But that being said  you never know if one of these up and coming  kids  may have  better leadership qualities then what we see in Bo now

I'm one of Hansens biggest fans, but that boat has sailed. 

Don't like players coming back in later years and ruining their legacy...

Sutter brings the same qualities as Hansen. Never misses a shift and a good PK with some upside. 

Like the idea of taking on a deadweight contract, for picks or high calibre prospects.

Would be great to go into next year's draft with 2 or 3 first round picks in the upper end... Its possible.

Keep the talent coming...

I have never been a fan of bringing in Kane but looking at our lineup he does fill a huge hole on that left side. He will cost a ton of cap and term though most likely so he's a longshot at best. Tavares and Carlson not much hope other than a fools hope. Carlson is exactly what our defense needs though. 

Talev is clearly super important to our defense. Unfirtunately it is highlighted by how much time he misses. It's time to move on from him while he is still valued around the league. He makes Sami Salo look like a Sedin in terms of durability.

Vanek back for another year would be fine with me but that was probably a much more attractive option for him prior to the Sedins announcement I would think.

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Meh, I'm hard headed.  Last week I refused to believe the Twins would retire.

Kane is just turning 26 by memory.  Nothing outside our scope for young players.  And has the attributable speed and athleticism to tie in, improve the performance of young skill players. Character may be hard to claim, but will add a safer envirement for our young players, and that contributes in a different way.  Dorsett was also a loose goose, half out there personality. Not that he had trouble with the law.  The character they may be looking for is how hard you play the game, in which Kane qualifies easily?

I'm sticking with that theory, until proven wrong, anyway...  :P 

Kane is the most obvious plug and play solution to one of the roster and prospect pools biggest holes. A legit top6 player with size/speed/offense/grit.

Now if we happen to draft Tkachuck or trade for Domi, Jenner etc obviously that can change and he'd no longer be as big/needed of a target (though he certainly wouldn't hurt either).

I also think his 'character issues' are overblown. One, he's 26 not 20 now and by most accounts worked hard and was well like by his team mates in BUF. He's got a bit of a Subban-like 'big personality' that is sometimes frowned upon in traditional hockey circles that I think some confuse as 'attitude/character issues'. 

Is he an angel? Probably not. But teams can't be all nice guys. You need some 'Kesler's' etc along with your 'Sedins'.

This is actually pretty depressing.  I ran the numbers in another thread, and this summer we can afford to pick up two or three forwards ($13m total) and two defenders ($10.5m total).  And, in doing so, we can get all the AHL-caliber players off of our team (Motte, Leipsic, Gaunce, Goldobin, Archibald, Biega, Pouliot, Hutton, Sautner, Nilsson).  And, if we can trade Hutton and Nilsson, instead of burying them in Utica, that gives us an extra $3m plus.  If the cap goes up to $82m instead of $80m, that gives us an extra $2m.  If you want Leipsic/Goldobin/Gaunce on the roster, that gives us even more money to spend (but one less spot to spend it on).

So, the fact that they're talking about us taking on other teams cap-dumps (or doing very little) means our management - yet again - doesn't see the big picture.

13 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

This is actually pretty depressing.  I ran the numbers in another thread, and this summer we can afford to pick up two or three forwards ($13m total) and two defenders ($10.5m total).  And, in doing so, we can get all the AHL-caliber players off of our team (Motte, Leipsic, Gaunce, Goldobin, Archibald, Biega, Pouliot, Hutton, Sautner, Nilsson).  And, if we can trade Hutton and Nilsson, instead of burying them in Utica, that gives us an extra $3m plus.  If the cap goes up to $82m instead of $80m, that gives us an extra $2m.  If you want Leipsic/Goldobin/Gaunce on the roster, that gives us even more money to spend (but one less spot to spend it on).

So, the fact that they're talking about us taking on other teams cap-dumps (or doing very little) means our management - yet again - doesn't see the big picture.

You know, you don't have to spend to the cap or anywhere near it. Save the room if there is nothing to use it on.

Archived