The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospect Michael DiPietro invited to Team Canada World Championship Team as a JUNIOR Goaltender

Adarsh Sant

i wonder if he'll even get any pre-tournament looks or if this is just a way to get him involved in the program early, as they've likely identified him as a guy who might represent Canada in the future. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

says a lot about the kids character. Its like Benning knows how to draft or something. 

All four of his first picks last year could be first rounders in a re-draft.  Can't believe this kid is eligible for the WJHC next year.  I don't remember ever having a Canucks prospect backstop Canada at the juniors.

Guys, i'm getting excited about our goaltending future! Congrats! He earned it, had a hell of a season.

In the age of massive 6'6" goalies DiPietro is a breath of fresh air. I've always liked 6'1" to 6'2" range goalies as they aren't too small and are more athletically inclined than the bigger guys. The big guys just look to block the net off, the smaller guys use their reflexes to make saves. Look at the list of previous goaltenders to win the stanley cup (only one taller than 6'2" is Matt Murray, he's 6'4")...Johnny Quick 6'1", Corey Crawford, Marc-Andre Fleury are both 6'2", other examples Marty Broudeur, Cam Ward, JS Giguere, Chris Osgood, I could go on but you get the point lol.

For my own sake I went back on 15 years of previous stanley cup champion teams and none of them other than the Penguins of last season had a starter taller than 6'2".

I know Demko is 6'4", i'm not hating on him because he really is a great goalie, but a 1A and 1B scenerio may be staring us down in the  future ala Luongo and Schnieder. Good problem to have.

GOAT!??! Nice... I finally have a reason to cheer for team Canada.

Kinda wish the Sedins would suit up for Sweden.

Last time a Canucks goalie was on team Canada a drunk Babcock benched him for an inferior Carey Price... or should i say Carey 7rice? Luongo shoulda played in Sochi. Price sucks!

2 minutes ago, Fateless said:

You weren't going to cheer for Bo?

I meant with both of them... Bo is 10x higher on my chart than DiPietro who likely wont play a game.

Bo > Sliced Bread

Although I hope no scum bag keith doughty are there to tarnish the team. I absolutely hated that Sochi team. They were an all star collection of scum on this planet.

51 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

says a lot about the kids character. Its like Benning knows how to draft or something. 

Hockey Canada most love his personality.  Giving him that as sign of respect for all he has accomplished and how he will know his role and be a good support guy.  Hopefully Canada won't need him but that would be something if we did. Who also is our tenders for the world Cup?

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'm pretty sure Pettersson is playing for Sweden.

Yes indeed he is. So is Nilsson.  Juolevi is in for tryouts for team Finland. Stech was on a call list for Canada but believe he was pretty far down.

41 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Huge honor for the kid. BUT HE'S STILL NOT SIGNED!!!! Give him max ELC and get this done.

3rd string probably, but he'd still be facing NHL shots in practice. Can't beat that kind of experience. 

And not pre season shots like in the pre season and training camp. Some players are still at their peak from their first round exits.

Just now, Fanuck said:

Wow - JB knows how to pick'em! 

Whether or not he sees any real game action this will really help his career. 

Being around season'ed NHL vets has got to be great opportunity for him. 

Character and quality all the way. He's not just finding good players in later rounds he's finding good character players through all 7 rounds.

Archived