The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acording to Bob McKenzie ( Picks 5 through 8)

J.I.A.H.N

Who do the canucks pick at 7th OA...................(this is not who we want, but who will we pick, with who is available at #7)  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm not certain there is any predicable order after Dahlin.  Maybe Tkatchuk goes second?  Yes, Svech and Zadina are likely ready to step in to an NHL line-up and play next season, but there are guys right behind them, who (although taking a couple years to mature) might become better assets over the next few years.  Guys like Tkatchuk, Hughs, Boquist might be taken anywhere after Dahlin, if the team drafting there loves the player's ceiling.  

I'm not on Tha Chuk wagon.

Going out on a limb - my draft order would have Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Boqvist ahead of him, possibly another player or two as well.

He's not as annoying as his brother, but still...I think he might be the most over-hyped asset in the draft.  May be one of the first to crack an NHL roster (and is a relatively old draft age) but I doubt he's a top 5 player in this draft in the long run.  What do I base this on?  Not much lol.   Just wouldn't be pining to take this player - and part of it is that he strikes me as the type that isn't that far off his potential at a young age - ala his brother, or the Dion Phaneufs of the NHL.  He may have more between his ears than his brother, but I'm not convinced he's worth a top 5 pick.  Am entirely prepared to be proven wrong however because these kinds of opinions at this stage of these young player's careers aren't worth much, but nevertheless, this is when you have to make the judgement of who to go with in a draft, and tbh, if he 'fell' to 7, I'd be no more thrilled to have him than a handful of his peers.

8 hours ago, 867-five-309 said:

Sorry folks. Bad week.

My apologies cripplereh. That was very ignorant of me.

hey we all think different which makes us human and I think talking is awesome, but my thoughts are not always as others, so everything is good and keep on the boards a great place to say your opinion

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

McKenzie's Picks 5-9, from April 27:

5. Bouchard

6. Boqvist

7. Wahlstrom

8. Dobson

9. Hughes

Surprised he had Hughes that low, but maybe he's changed his mind after the Worlds. Call that the Kotkaniemi Effect lol

It's interesting for sure!

But Bob's list is ''an accumulation of top NHL scouts opinions.''  He just collects the rankings from said unnamed NHL scouts, my understanding a collection of ten, and reports the results. It may have changed after the Worlds? And will again after interviews & the combines.

Logically, Bob's list should not change dramatically between now & the draft. If they have been doing their job. Fans get excited by 4 or 8 game events like W18's, the WC's? But scouts are supposed to have been collating their opinion of relatable skills over the year, several years in fact. Understanding should already be in place & player performance at events like the combines predictable. They should be pretty grounded by now.

The big unknown that creates variations on draft day itself? The ''ten'' scouts are undoubtedly not the corresponding scouts responsible for teams with actual picks... 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Going out on a limb - my draft order would have Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Boqvist ahead of him, possibly another player or two as well.

He's not as annoying as his brother, but still...I think he might be the most over-hyped asset in the draft.  May be one of the first to crack an NHL roster (and is a relatively old draft age) but I doubt he's a top 5 player in this draft in the long run.  What do I base this on?  Not much lol.   Just wouldn't be pining to take this player - and part of it is that he strikes me as the type that isn't that far off his potential at a young age - ala his brother, or the Dion Phaneufs of the NHL.  He may have more between his ears than his brother, but I'm not convinced he's worth a top 5 pick.  Am entirely prepared to be proven wrong however because these kinds of opinions at this stage of these young player's careers aren't worth much, but nevertheless, this is when you have to make the judgement of who to go with in a draft, and tbh, if he 'fell' to 7, I'd be no more thrilled to have him than a handful of his peers.

I've never read Kevin Papetti before.  Wonder what his rep is.  He has Tkachuck at #8 and backs it up.  Here are his comments

8) LW Brady Tkachuk - Boston University (NCAA)

He lives up to the family name, as a powerful forward who is a pain in the ass to play against. His strength allows him to win more than his fair share of puck battles, and he owns quick hands in tight spaces. He’s close to NHL ready, already owns a strong showing at the World Juniors, and projects to be a top-6 forward.

He’s an alumni of the US U-18 team, and while he was a top performer, Quinn Hughes and Wahlstrom own more impressive resumes from this program. I wouldn’t pick him at #3, but he certainly deserves to be a top 9 pick. I prefer Svechnikov, Zadina, and Wahlstrom offensively, but Tkachuk will certainly be a complete player, and Leafs fans are bound to hate him if he plays for Montreal or Ottawa.

BT does seem to be falling.  Here is his top 15.  Article date May 14 link below.

1. Dahlin
  2. Svechnikov
  3. Zadina
  4. Hughes
  5. Boqvist
  6. Wahlstrom
  7. Bouchard
  8. Tkachuk
  9. Smith
  10. Kotkaniemi
  11. Kravtsov
  12. Dobson
  13. Merkley
  14. Veleno
  15. Lundestrom

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/nhl-draft/2018/5/14/17278448/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-top-31-kevin-papetti-rasmus-dahlin-andrei-svechnikov-filip-zadina-profiles

On 15/05/2018 at 2:06 PM, droid56 said:

Tkachuk has no silent t in the middle of his name.

Hughes has an e between the h and the s.

Boqvist has a v (not a u) after the q.

I like to spell people's names correctly out of respect for them.

I agree and so does Marc mesier. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, Down by the River said:

I want to wait until the draft combine to figure out where Boqvist should be ranked. Is he 5'11, 5'10, or 5'9. Is he 175, 165, or 155lbs? If he is 5'11 and 175, you take him and run. 

like we need smaller dmen on a physically soft team...  Dobson pls...  lots of upside and decent size...

I have lost my interest in Boqvist after listening to Craig Button's evaluations of him compared to Dobson, Hughes  and Bouchard.  Essentially he said Boqvist game drops off when he is challenged where the others step up. He also said that Wahlstrom is a sniper and a solid pick.

43 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

like we need smaller dmen on a physically soft team...  Dobson pls...  lots of upside and decent size...

Who says that the Canucks in 3'ish years, when most of these guys will even start contributing, will be a 'physically soft team'?

3 hours ago, Screw said:

I have lost my interest in Boqvist after listening to Craig Button's evaluations of him compared to Dobson, Hughes  and Bouchard.  Essentially he said Boqvist game drops off when he is challenged where the others step up. He also said that Wahlstrom is a sniper and a solid pick.

Would you take Tkachuk 2nd overall based on Craig's list?

He has Wahlstrom at 9th overall.

Those two things don't add up imo.

Anyhow, CB always has a few 'way off the board' ideas / opinions - but don't we all?

I wouldn't put too much stock in a perceived intangible like 'game drops off when 'challenged' - whatever that's supposed to mean.  What kind of sample is Button basing this on?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Anyhow, CB always has a few 'way off the board' ideas / opinions - but don't we all?

I wouldn't put too much stock in a perceived intangible like 'game drops off when 'challenged' - whatever that's supposed to mean.  What kind of sample is Button basing this on?

I still say that if Boquist is there for us at 7 he's a very good pick. No matter what Button says, Boquist has (perhaps?) the highest ceiling in the draft.  Boquist is almost too young for this draft.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I still say that if Boquist is there for us at 7 he's a very good pick. No matter what Button says, Boquist has (perhaps?) the highest ceiling in the draft.  Boquist is almost too young for this draft.  

I think that is an often overlooked factor.  Some guys - ie like the one Button has at 7 (Hayton) are considerably younger than other players in the draft.  9 months or a year may not seem like much, but it sure as hell can be a big difference at 17/18 years of age.  In some instances you should almost be looking at the players previous season (ie Tkachuk performance last year vs players like Wahlstrom or Hayton's present season - or Boqvist, although he's a D). 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that is an often overlooked factor.  Some guys - ie like the one Button has at 7 (Hayton) are considerably younger than other players in the draft.  9 months or a year may not seem like much, but it sure as hell can be a big difference at 17/18 years of age.  In some instances you should almost be looking at the players previous season (ie Tkachuk performance last year vs players like Wahlstrom or Hayton's present season - or Boqvist, although he's a D). 

That is actually a very good point Oldnews. 

Seen a lot of posters finding it hard to compare the players, myself included. Cheers.

On 15/05/2018 at 4:08 PM, oldnews said:

I'd take Kotkaniemi before Tkachuk, probably before wahlstrom as well

On 2018-05-15 at 7:08 PM, oldnews said:

I'm with you on this Kat Chuck family.  Was never a fan of their dad, ok I actually was until they beat us in 96 (Canada), and then started disliking him after he led the Americans into acting like petulant children in smashing up their forms at the village.  Meanwhile Gretzky coming off a loss to Hasek ( yes him, we were all over the team but he kept making save after save, stupid international rules) made sure everyone stayed and represented our country well.  

That said.

Esteemed hockey writer Ken Campbell had this to say about BT, in an article called "The Brady Hunch" paraphrased.

Any team with the exception of Buffalo (because Dahlin is the next Lidstrom) that chooses another player other than Tkachuk does so at its own peril.

Picture Claude Lemuiex if he were 6'3" and you've got Tkachuk, Ray Ferraro once said his brother is a saint compared to Brady.

As a child MT would toughen him up by literally putting him through walls in the basement, and when his famous hockey cousins come over, out came the boxing gloves.

MT says that BT is bigger, stronger, and more ornery than he is.

To pigeonhole BT as just rowdy would be an enormous injustice.  Campbell says for his money BT was USAs best player at the WJC, even better than Mittelstadt one next year's Calder hopefuls, and this is not a tournament where 18 year olds usually are the teams best player, just ask Crosby and McDavid.   He was out for every crucial situation, killed penalties, when protecting a lead late in the game, scored big goals and played a physical game.  What more could you want?

All the elements are there, if Tkachuk slides past two in the draft, don't be surprised if in ten years were all wondering how in the world that could have happened.

End paraphrase.

Again I'm not a fan, BUT begrudgingly I admit Keith has sure raised some great hockey players, maybe that's what will get me back to liking him, eventually, because it was obvious at the draft that he couldn't be prouder.  Maybe I should give him some slack.  Plus I crack up when I see him, how the hell does he fit his neck into that suit!

On 2018-05-15 at 5:08 PM, oldnews said:

So ,what you are saying is that he will be ours. :(

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

If I find the radio interview I would post it.  I believe he said his opinion was informed by  a recent tournament they played in. Not sure which one it was.  He did say he loved Tkachuk  as he had a mix of skill and desire in his game that few players have. He also said Tkachuk  makes players around him better so I am not surprised he put him #2.   Regarding Boqvist, I don't take CB as the last word on all things hockey but, I do consider his opinion as a well informed one.  That being said, when people question a players drive/jam that is the biggest red flag for me.  I always want the players who are described as showing dogged determination in their play style. 

Archived