The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (P1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (M1) Washington Capitals | Capitals win 2018 Stanley Cup

2018 Stanley Cup Final  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Capitals in 4
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2018 at 12:00 AM

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It is funny looking back at Alzner's quote when he signed with the Canadiens last summer after spending his entire career with the Capitals:

“I want to win... it was frustrating to keep getting stumped in the second round.” - Karl Alzner

Poor guy. :lol:

Lol that sucks

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Oh man.  Right here. Texted my mom about it.

Buddy even said the birth of his kids and his wedding were the only moments better than winning the cup.

The wifey's gonna treat him right tonight.TJ might even take back what he said haha ::D

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It is funny looking back at Alzner's quote when he signed with the Canadiens last summer after spending his entire career with the Capitals:

“I want to win... it was frustrating to keep getting stumped in the second round.” - Karl Alzner

Surprised he decided to sign with Montreal if he really wanted to win 

But yeah

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-alzner-super-jealous-capitals-stanley-cup-run/

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Buddy even said the birth of his kids and his wedding were the only moments better than winning the cup.

The wifey's gonna treat him right tonight.TJ might even take back what he said haha ::D

TJ gonna get on the Hummer express for a few nights........watch for the stupid grin during the parade.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nate Schmidt has to feel even worse at this point...

4 hours ago, 1-d said:

Ovechkin and Backstrom...  They are Henrik and Daniel of Washington.

It still hurts to think this didn't happened to Sedins...

The one difference being that Ovie  changed his game and did whatever it took, including blocking shots, to help his team win. As much as I loved 22 and 33, I didn’t see them get in front of shots or back check with ferocity. They just kept making beautiful plays and accepted cheap shots. Ovie now has his ring and sadly, the Sedins don’t.

The buy in on the Caps was total. Every guy did their part. 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I guess Don Cherry really isn't a fan of Russians

Though I suppose Holtby would be the #3 choice for MVP but still over Ovi or Kuznetsov?

tbh you can't go wrong with Holtby either, his save in game 2 gave washington all the momentum they needed.. imagine that gone in vegas probably wins game 2 and up 2-0 in the series

On 08/06/2018 at 7:01 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I am truly happy for the Capitals. What an amazing team that played amazing hockey. 

This win makes you realize the magic of hockey. 

Agreed.

I don't mind admitting it, the Caps play the exact style of hockey that I favour and rant on about on here.

I'm not sure the Canucks are heading that way but I'm smart enough to know there is more than one way to win a Cup and I'll be happy to see us win no matter whatever style we play. Some people think heavy hitting, grit and pushback means a team can't be highly skilled, fast and entertaining - the Caps proved they are not mutually exclusive.

I am convinced though that you do need a certain amount of grit and pushback in any playoff team if you want to make a long run. The star of the series for me (and this shows how much I know, because I would not have wanted the Canucks to sign him 4 years ago at age 33) was Brooks Orpik.

Some players you just have to watch in combative situations night after night in a playoff series, to really appreciate how good they are. Orpik is my kind of Warrior. He even stood up to Reaves all through the Vegas series and never backed down - without giving Reaves the satisfaction of fighting him. +17 for the playoffs is some indicator of performance. He played 18 mins in game 5 and was +1

Wilson was another who showed there was much more to his game. Backstrom is a genius who is underrated by some and Oshie, Smith-Pelley and Kuznetsov are clutch playoff warriors with Ovechkin a true and consistent leader.

Holtby? What can you say about a guy who was backup and comes in and owns a series.

A word for Vegas. 

I really enjoyed their style and speed and also their ability to mix it up when things got physical and I have to say after the Caps they would have deserved the Cup on their exciting style and entertainment value alone. 

I'm not sure if they will be back next year because imo when you lose in a final it leaves an imprint which is hard to get over. Still if anyone can I suppose they can, providing they keep faith in their Coach and their style of hockey.

A word for Luca Sbisa. 

I doubt the people on here who lambasted him after every game and called him an over paid bust will change their minds but for me he showed the kind of grit, class and economical efficiency we are missing just now. I think there is a strong similarity between Orpik and Sbisa.

I recall, I preferred to to lose Gudy before Sbisa and I hope I'm proved wrong on that one.

Archived