The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

de3rUNf.jpg

In addition to this, the commissioner team is considering 2 more changes for next year.

1. Change lineup lock times from the start of the first game each day, to the start of each player's game. That means, if a player has an afternoon game (as is often the case on weekends) you can still make changes to other players in your lineup that aren't involved in that game.

2. Changing the playoff system to the one in BFHL. For those that are unfamiliar, it takes all the points from every player's game 1, and compares it to your opponent. Whoever has more game 1 points, wins the game and takes a 1-0 series lead. Repeat for game 2 totals, and make it a best of 7 series.

We feel that many of our playoff matchups have been lopsided, and this would not only be a good way to make things closer, but also differentiate Puck from every other Salary Cap league on the planet. Art made a spreadsheet for the BFHL playoffs, which you can find here to see what exactly we're talking about: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Wesk-0ozGGx47jeBqHv8CoHu-UXDcQMWlh4eA8-hNI/edit#gid=583176337

Let us know your thoughts on these. As it stands, the commish team is unanimously in favour of both changes.

P.s. hurry up and vote for GM of the year if you haven't already!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1. Change lineup lock times from the start of the first game each day, to the start of each player's game. That means, if a player has an afternoon game (as is often the case on weekends) you can still make changes to other players in your lineup that aren't involved in that game.

2. Changing the playoff system to the one in BFHL. For those that are unfamiliar, it takes all the points from every player's game 1, and compares it to your opponent. Whoever has more game 1 points, wins the game and takes a 1-0 series lead. Repeat for game 2 totals, and make it a best of 7 series.

1. is really okay.  its  annoying if there are pretty early games and you ve forgot to set your roster at this time.

2. not really a fan of this but  may the majority decide 

10 hours ago, Master Mind said:

We feel that many of our playoff matchups have been lopsided, and this would not only be a good way to make things closer, but also differentiate Puck from every other Salary Cap league on the planet. Art made a spreadsheet for the BFHL playoffs, which you can find here to see what exactly we're talking about: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Wesk-0ozGGx47jeBqHv8CoHu-UXDcQMWlh4eA8-hNI/edit#gid=58317633

Wouldn't this make it so there was just a HUGE negative impact of your players winning a series decisively and quickly IRL? (Which there is already some of)

It would make it matter less that they racked up a lot of points in the early wins. Since even a 10 goal game only gives you at most one "win". Then you end up auto-losing three wins late because you arent playing anymore. And your oponent has one 4th liner who got a single hit in game 7. 

You are right that it might be a good move for parity in the league. And I do like head to heads. But some of that parity will be through the creation of some weird situations, and worse teams winning on technicalities. Gotta be ready to accept that. 

I'm down for it if others are though. 

10 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Wouldn't this make it so there was just a HUGE negative impact of your players winning a series decisively and quickly IRL? (Which there is already some of)

It would make it matter less that they racked up a lot of points in the early wins. Since even a 10 goal game only gives you at most one "win". Then you end up auto-losing three wins late because you arent playing anymore. And your oponent has one 4th liner who got a single hit in game 7. 

You are right that it might be a good move for parity in the league. And I do like head to heads. But some of that parity will be through the creation of some weird situations, and worse teams winning on technicalities. Gotta be ready to accept that. 

I'm down with the line change timing for sure.

But I'm also hesitant about the playoff scoring shift... need more info on that I think

50 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Thanks for bringing that up.

If you have a player that won their series early, you'd get their average points the rest of the way.

Let's say the Blues sweep the Sharks, and Schenn picks up 20 points in the process (5 ppg) he'd then earn his team 5 points in games 5-7 of his series.

This wouldn't apply if the player lost his series, so no Shark in this example would earn points in games 5-7.

• Cheers 1

I'm looking to wheel and deal this weekend while I'm prepping a bunch of stuff for the draft. My focus is all on puck so if anybody is looking to make trades send me a message. I have unofficially opened the auction for the 2nd overall pick.

On the block:

Mike Green (4.19 fp/g)

Brad Richardson (3.28 fp/g)

Bobby Ryan (3.08fp/g)

Alexander Nylander (prospect)

Brandon Sutter (1.78fp/g)

Chad Ruhwedel (1.96fp/g)

(rights to) Michael Haley

(rights to) Ales Stezka

Okay, so I've thought about it, and I think the issue I have with changing the playoff scoring format is that it injects more randomness into an already extremely random playoffs. Like, if Timo Meier gets another hat trick in game 3, and the Sharks sweep the blues, suddenly meier is a 1.5 gpg player in that series? A goalie who wins in a sweep, maybe gets a shutout, is suddenly worth a win and a quarter of a shutout in every 7 games? Good luck beating that team. Plus is wuld provide even more weight to players than advance than already exists. Maybe that's a benefit - more exciting 2nd round playoffs, since the guys who won the first round are more likely to carry on. But either way it just feels like more variable thrown into a pretty chaotic and random playoff system.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

Okay, so I've thought about it, and I think the issue I have with changing the playoff scoring format is that it injects more randomness into an already extremely random playoffs. Like, if Timo Meier gets another hat trick in game 3, and the Sharks sweep the blues, suddenly meier is a 1.5 gpg player in that series? A goalie who wins in a sweep, maybe gets a shutout, is suddenly worth a win and a quarter of a shutout in every 7 games? Good luck beating that team. Plus is wuld provide even more weight to players than advance than already exists. Maybe that's a benefit - more exciting 2nd round playoffs, since the guys who won the first round are more likely to carry on. But either way it just feels like more variable thrown into a pretty chaotic and random playoff system.

Glad I have another hat-trick Meier supporter ;).

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Yes!! I very much approve of this.

Hilariously, when teams sign guys to these new max length contracts this summer, I’ll be retaining on Weber’s contract for a few years after those expire...

Hahahaha I’m happy about this

@mastermind Yah I know I feel a bit better now Lolol.  If I made the next round I would have at least had a tiny chance to be the juggernaut coyotes lolol

On 5/9/2019 at 10:55 PM, Master Mind said:

de3rUNf.jpg

In addition to this, the commissioner team is considering 2 more changes for next year.

We feel that many of our playoff matchups have been lopsided, and this would not only be a good way to make things closer, but also differentiate Puck from every other Salary Cap league on the planet. Art made a spreadsheet for the BFHL playoffs, which you can find here to see what exactly we're talking about: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Wesk-0ozGGx47jeBqHv8CoHu-UXDcQMWlh4eA8-hNI/edit#gid=583176337

Let us know your thoughts on these. As it stands, the commish team is unanimously in favour of both changes.

I am a fan of these things.

But for number two I really agree.  When I joined the league I was surprised it wasn’t run this way cause there have been so many blowouts and we already know who’s gonna win the cup this year.  Splitting it by games makes so much more sense to me cause if a player goes off in one game they can win a game and make a series more intense 

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, Master Mind said:

de3rUNf.jpg

I'm definitely in favour of both changes. The first one should be a no brainer that I think everyone will agree on... I'm sure we've all been burned by the old rule on some occasions 

#2 seems like it would be more exciting than the current one for sure. 

ben stiller GIF