The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So I’m thinking we need to trade with NYR to acquire winger Riley Hughes (2018 7th round and Northeastern commit). Then draft Jack Hughes in 2019. And then in 2021, draft Quinn and Jack’s little brother Luke (D). And also draft Riley’s little brother, who also happens to be named Jack Hughes (and is a 2021 eligible winger who’s apparently pretty good and already committed to Northeastern).

As far as I know, Riley and Jack are not related to Quinn, Jack, and Luke.

But we could actually ice a complete five man unit of Hugheses. 

Jack Hughes (2003)-Jack Hughes(2001)-Riley Hughes

Quinn Hughes-Luke Hughes

Become the “Vancouver Hugheses” :lol:

"Jack Hughes over to Jack Hughes back to Jack Hughes. JACK HUGHES SETS UP JACK HUGHES!!! Jack Hughes and Jack Hughes with the beautiful give and go for the easy tap in to put the Vancouver Hughes up 1-0"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think we should be putting him in to sell the team. Not to say its not best for his development, it might be, right now I'm leaning to the safe side (Michigan) but maybe signing end ups being the better way. I'm not sure yet, we'll find out, but I don't agree that we should put him in to sell tickets if he's not 100% ready. 

That is NOT the reason.  If he turns pro he will make the team because he will show out of camp that he is one of the top 6 dmen.  "100% ready" is a red herring.  Was Boeser "100% ready"?  Horvat?

The team is a business and exists by making money, and to make money it must sell tickets, and to sell tickets it must win games and be entertaining.  Quinn Hughes has the clear potential to do both of those, as soon as this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't watch much of the world championships.  What was Hughes' defensive game like for team USA?

I know ive heard from the countless analysts and scouts on tv/online say he hasn't shown much defensively because he literally has the puck on his skate more often than not.

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I didn't watch much of the world championships.  What was Hughes' defensive game like for team USA?

I know ive heard from the countless analysts and scouts on tv/online say he hasn't shown much defensively because he literally has the puck on his skate more often than not.

From previous page:

“He was just tremendous defensively in that game,” Wroblewski said of Hughes. “I mean, he’s going against 24-, 25-year-old men, stripping the puck, and breaking us out, and it was amazing to watch: Defensively, someone his size being able to manipulate a bigger, stronger player.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/1gryzk1kbmd3y18p4ct4s03mrh

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He was definitely used in a sheltered role and wasn't relied on much defensively. However, I remember one particular play against Canada when it looked like Horvat was on a clear breakaway. Hughes used his speed to easily catch Horvat and then bumped him, stole the puck, and immediately transitioned the puck into the offensive zone. It was that play that sold me on Hughes as the guy I wanted at 7 haha! 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

His skating puts him on the right side of the puck almost every time and from there he uses his stick very aggressively to strip pucks. There will obviously be an adjustment period when the time and space gets tighter, but his IQ is as good as his skating, so it won't be a problem.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

His brother was said to be going to university of Michigan but recently said he may return to the USHL. This is probably because Quinn will likely turn pro. Jim is on board and Hughes has said in the past his preference is either the NHL or AHL.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

But yet you did.   ::D

No worries, this is simply how it is with these kids.   I sure hope Quinn, like all the prospects, gets room to grow without people analyzing every workout, every food choice, every statement etc. etc.   This kid won't be a finished NHL product until he is 23 to 25.   I am sure you get this too but not sure everyone will and expect at least a bunch of people agreeing with you and suggesting a shooting coach, others mad and disagreeing with and saying he was intending to shoot softly etc. etc.    Why not just leave it as it was - a kid's first practice on an ice surface with the big club.   Be impressed he took his skate guards off.

Actually, no I didn't it was a comment (which I was careful to preface) that you took and over analyzed and added to to make your post which in  no way reflects my intent.  Why not just leave my comment for how it was intended, simply an observation and not hijack it. Thanks

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

His brother was said to be going to university of Michigan but recently said he may return to the USHL. This is probably because Quinn will likely turn pro. Jim is on board and Hughes has said in the past his preference is either the NHL or AHL.

Jack was a junior in highschool this past year.  Not impossible to do his senior year during the summer, but he might not be willing to take that amount of time away from training.

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Actually no I didn't it was a comment (which I was careful to preface) that you took and over analyzed and added to to make your post which in  no way reflects my intent.  Why not just leave my comment for how it was intended, simply an observation and not hijack it.

Because it was a point that needs being made continually and your post was a great place to make it.   If that bothered you, I sincerely apologize.   Given one of the responses to your post, I stand by the reason why I posted what I did.   I also wonder why if that wasn't your intent  you bothered to say anything.   Up to you but you know full well how those things are taken.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Because it was a point that needs being made continually and your post was a great place to make it.   If that bothered you, I sincerely apologize.   Given one of the responses to your post, I stand by the reason why I posted what I did.   I also wonder why if that wasn't your intent  you bothered to say anything.   Up to you but you know full well how those things are taken.   

I can only be responsible for me not others.  I stand by my comment, intent and observation.  I said something because I observed it and chose to remark.  It was a pretty weak wrister.  I'm sure it's due to it being practice.  End of quote.  Thanks.