The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

anyone watch the NBC's feed of the NHL draft coverage?

Right after the Wings made their pick, Button, McQuire started talking about who Vancouver will be picking, everyone agreed they will get a DMAN, they asked Pierre who should vancouver be picking?

:"Quinton Hughes" 

no joke right before the pick.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I was just watching some Youtube videos tonight...............check out 6:10

Yep, Vancouver or Michigan.  I expect we'll see 1 or 2 dmen moved in short order and get him signed, unless they really feel another year in the NCAA is best for him.  But all indications are that both sides want him to go pro and make the Canucks, so the former seems most likely.  Only question then is... who goes?  They could wait if there's no deals to be made right now and "promise" him a spot, but that could get dicey as the summer goes along and they still have 8 dmen here.  May need to offer up some of their cap space and/or retain but it should be doable as the UFA class for D has been pretty picked-over.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

anyone watch the NBC's feed of the NHL draft coverage?

Right after the Wings made their pick, Button, McQuire started talking about who Vancouver will be picking, everyone agreed they will get a DMAN, they asked Pierre who should vancouver be picking?

:"Quinton Hughes" 

no joke right before the pick.

I watched that coverage live, McQuire almost always makes the right predictions as far as I can remember. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Players that come out of junior and players that have been playing against men for the last 2 years are apples and oranges.  I like the progress Lind and Gadjovich have made, I think they’ll be great players and the Canucks organization have done an awesome job developing them, Players like Pettersson and Dahlen though have been excelling Against men for a couple years now.  Same as Quinn Hughes, he’s been playing against 24 year olds since he was 17 years old.  That’s 2 years playing against men.  Juolevi has been playing against men this past year same as Palmu.  Playing against men is at a different level than playing against 16 year olds in junior.  That’s why I wasn’t sold on Bouchard, he was in his 3rd year playing for the Knights, he was playing against kids.  Our boys have been playing against men and they will surprise so many including our clueless bewildered media here in Vancouver. 

Players like Jarred McCann and Jake Virtanen came out of junior, 1 year removed from their draft years.  You can’t compare them to Dahlen, Hughes, Gaudette and Pettersson.  

Hughes has only played 1 year in the NCAA against 24 year olds. He played with the USNDP last year. 

I just thought it was funny that one of the posts above yours talked about how they would support a CDC member reporting on the Canucks and then another one below that talked about how the media is usually wrong about facts. Pretty ironic :lol:

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hughes has only played 1 year in the NCAA against 24 year olds. He played with the USNDP last year. 

I just thought it was funny that one of the posts above yours talked about how they would support a CDC member reporting on the Canucks and then another one below that talked about how the media is usually wrong about facts. Pretty ironic :lol:

The USNTDP program is filled with 24,25 year olds.  http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/z75dnus48r4g1gfsgqzv3rpl5. Give it a read, it’s very interesting.  This was his draft minus 1 year.  When he was 17.  Read what his coach had to say about him.  

“He was just tremendous defensively in that game,” Wroblewski said of Hughes. “I mean, he’s going against 24-, 25-year-old men, stripping the puck, and breaking us out, and it was amazing to watch: Defensively, someone his size being able to manipulate a bigger, stronger player.”

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

The USNTDP program is filled with 24,25 year olds.  http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/z75dnus48r4g1gfsgqzv3rpl5. Give it a read, it’s very interesting.  This was his draft minus 1 year.  When he was 17.  Read what his coach had to say about him.  

“He was just tremendous defensively in that game,” Wroblewski said of Hughes. “I mean, he’s going against 24-, 25-year-old men, stripping the puck, and breaking us out, and it was amazing to watch: Defensively, someone his size being able to manipulate a bigger, stronger player.”

the usntdp consists of a u17 team and a u18 team. they compete in the ushl, which is a Junior league limited to players 20 and younger. 

Edited by tas

5 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Pretty sure that was in reference to his play at Michigan against college players, they were just talking to his USNTP coach about what he did last year. 

43 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Pretty sure that was in reference to his play at Michigan against college players, they were just talking to his USNTP coach about what he did last year. 

Actually if you read the article it is his d-1 USNTDP coach talking about Hughes playing in a game when the USNTDP team was playing against an NCAA team.  

2 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Actually if you read the article it is his d-1 USNTDP coach talking about Hughes playing in a game when the USNTDP team was playing against an NCAA team.  

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't read the above article but heard about the comments and knew the comment was in reference to him playing against college players. Even more impressive that he did that as a 17 year old. Probably why he had a smooth transition to the NCAA.

Sounds like it's still pretty much in the air about where Hughes will play next season. Benning said that all of the parties are talking about what's best for his development. Hughes even said "I wouldn't mind going back to Michigan, if they didn't know where I fit in." Sounds like he doesn't want to play in Utica. There is a logjam at LD, with Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton, but I'm hoping Benning can make a trade.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like it's still pretty much in the air about where Hughes will play next season. Benning said that all of the parties are talking about what's best for his development. Hughes even said "I wouldn't mind going back to Michigan, if they didn't know where I fit in." Sounds like he doesn't want to play in Utica. There is a logjam at LD, with Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton, but I'm hoping Benning can make a trade.

Well each and every one of those 4 are in the last year of their contracts so they should be easy to move. We should trade Edler if he consents to waiving is NTC. If he doesn't then trading Del Zotto and Hutton makes sense so theres room for 2 of Juolevi, Hughes, McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I never said Pettersson should go the AHL. I said he didn't play right after he was drafted. Quinn is on the smaller side and is a defenseman. All our previous prospects in this position were forwards, your right it isn't quite a straight across comp, but that is both in some positive and negative ways. For me its about Quinn Hughes being the best possible player he can be in the big picture, and not rushing him in. Maybe he's ready & maybe he isn't but we shouldn't rush it if he isn't. Its a big jump especially for a defense on a team like ours, with our travel, with the stress on our defenseman & on a team where he's going to be counted on to provide offense. The other thing too is it seems like he wants to play in the NHL or Michigan, not the AHL. For him, turning pro wouldn't mean going down to Utica to be apart of that team. Its a big decision and we can't rush him. 

I agree we needed the depth, I'm not against the UFA moves unlike most of this market seems to be. 

Smashing...

I also want what is best for Hughes. I honestly don’t see either path of turning pro or going back to the NCAA as having a downside. 

Turning pro doesn’t mean playing defence in the NHL as an 18 y/o.  The AHL is a real option and he is waiver exempt. 

While he wont have the same dedicated off ice training that a uni would provide, he would play less games and can be called up periodically to assess his development.  

With Hughes we have the rare NA player that does not have a CHL commitment that would prevent this option. 

This would place him in a situation on where he would be learning the system for both clubs as I beleive Utica uses the same systems Green is using at the NHL level. 

It is fairly safe to say that it is entirely likely that Hughes will break into the NHL within the next two years. So the choice is Pro vs College, not NHL vs College. 

Entirely agree that we need depth and with the young players hitting Utica this year, I beleive we may finally have this crucial category addressed.

EmW

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Smashing...

I also want what is best for Hughes. I honestly don’t see either path of turning pro or going back to the NCAA as having a downside. 

Turning pro doesn’t mean playing defence in the NHL as an 18 y/o.  The AHL is a real option and he is waiver exempt. 

While he wont have the same dedicated off ice training that a uni would provide, he would play less games and can be called up periodically to assess his development.  

With Hughes we have the rare NA player that does not have a CHL commitment that would prevent this option. 

This would place him in a situation on where he would be learning the system for both clubs as I beleive Utica uses the same systems Green is using at the NHL level. 

It is fairly safe to say that it is entirely likely that Hughes will break into the NHL within the next two years. So the choice is Pro vs College, not NHL vs College. 

Entirely agree that we need depth and with the young players hitting Utica this year, I beleive we may finally have this crucial category addressed.

EmW

Agree...although Hughes would be 19 when the season starts and Joulevi is still 19....so....they both may be ready...if Quinn does go to Utica to start the season, both he a Joulevi will make it back up for the TDL and 2 Vets. will be shipped out....

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Agree...although Hughes would be 19 when the season starts and Joulevi is still 19....so....they both may be ready...if Quinn does go to Utica to start the season, both he a Joulevi will make it back up for the TDL and 2 Vets. will be shipped out....

juolevi turned 20 two months ago today. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I was just watching some Youtube videos tonight...............check out 6:05

He has said that in pretty much every interview I have seen. 

14 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He has said that in pretty much every interview I have seen. 

Yeah, he hasn't said anything about the AHL - it's either the NHL or Michegan.

I'm putting my money on Hughes forcing his elite arse onto the Nucks. He's just too good.

Edited by Jester13
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Yeah, he hasn't said anything about the AHL - it's either the NHL or Michegan.

I'm putting my money on Hughes forcing his elite arse onto the Nucks. He's just too good.

I am really looking forward to this season. Having a fast, skilled, and physical Canucks team with Petterson and Hughes joining the corps is just too great. I think this team will make some noise and make life hell for other teams.

• Upvote 2