The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone is going to be a fabulous player, much like Dennis Potvin.  He’s got elite skating and skills, plus he has a mean streak.  Juiolevi will be a quietly efficient player, much like Guy Lapoint.  And then we have Quinn Hughes playing like Bobby Orr.  These three on D, with Depietro in goal, Bo/Pettersson/Jake/Brock and Jack Hughes up front, it’s obvious JB is building a dynasty like those old Islander, Habs, and Bruins.  

Bobby Orr had a bit of a mean streak in him as well. Never been a d-man like him that has all the attributes that Orr had. If Hughes is half the player we should count ourselves lucky.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

So in an article by PITB today, they noted that if Hughes plays at all this year, he will need to be protected for the Seattle expansion draft. For my money it's worth keeping him in the AHL or just giving him the summer off so we can avoid having to protect him. It just costs a few games of the season and gives us a heckuva lot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

So in an article by PITB today, they noted that if Hughes plays at all this year, he will need to be protected for the Seattle expansion draft. For my money it's worth keeping him in the AHL or just giving him the summer off so we can avoid having to protect him. It just costs a few games of the season and gives us a heckuva lot.

Really? That can't be right can it? Are there new rules in place for Seattle's expansion draft? Rules last time: 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Could PITB have it wrong maybe?

3 minutes ago, Drewman said:

Really? That can't be right can it? Are there new rules in place for Seattle's expansion draft? Rules last time: 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Could PITB have it wrong maybe?

If Hughes plays this year, he'll be a third year professional by the time the draft starts.

On that note, I realize that means that Utica isn't an option either, given that it's "professional".

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If Hughes plays this year, he'll be a third year professional by the time the draft starts.

On that note, I realize that means that Utica isn't an option either, given that it's "professional".

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He could sign an ATO with the Comets after school season ends.  This would not constitute being a professional I believe 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

50 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

He could sign an ATO with the Comets after school season ends.  This would not constitute being a professional I believe 

http://thepinkpuck.com/2014/01/09/ato-pto-what-a-primer-on-hockey-contracts/

ATO- this is an Amateur Try-Out agreement, and is for players who are coming in from college and have never played at the professional level. These type of contracts are common at the end of the season as many players try to break in to the pro leagues after the college or junior season is over. The ECHL, AHL and NHL all use ATOs.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/ncaa-eligibility.php

NCAA student-athletes are amateurs and cannot have played for a professional sports team prior to enrollment. In hockey, specifically, this means that anyone who signs a contract with or plays for a team in the Canadian Hockey League (OHL, QMJHL or WHL) forfeits their NCAA eligibility.

The NCAA Eligibility Center will certify each prospective student-athlete's amateur status prior to clearing them for competition at the Division I level.

What You Need to Do:

• Do not accept payment or gifts based upon your ability as a hockey player.
  • Do not sign a contract or play a game (even an exhibition game) for a professional team, including those in the CHL.
  • You may attend a camp with a professional team for up to 48 hours if they are covering expenses or longer if you cover all expenses.
  • Junior, prep or high school teams may cover some or all of your costs to play for them, as long as they are actual and necessary expenses.

If Hughes signs any deal whether with the Canucks, Comets, or Kalamazoo Wings...even a CHL team, that will be considered a pro contract regardless if it is a PTO, ATO, or legitimate NHL deal, Hughes will be considered a professional player at that point. 

HOWEVER....the caveat is this...

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/27/gaudette-dahlen-and-the-expansion-draft/ ...taking from past articles done about certain players like Brock Boeser and Adam Gaudette when they had considered the 2020 possibility of the expansion draft.  According to the latest NHL CBA agreement

For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.

capture37.jpg?w=1024

However, the language said in the CBA extends to players playing in the NHL.  Will be curious to know how much of that is applied to players playing professional games but in the AHL.  Does 10 games in the AHL still constitute a full pro-season?

Time will tell when the decision comes closer next spring, but Canucks should definitely tread water carefully because not having to protect Hughes so that they can protect one more dman or another player will be huge.  However, will Quinn want to wait?  Likely not.  Don't want to piss off your future franchise dman before he even signs...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

http://thepinkpuck.com/2014/01/09/ato-pto-what-a-primer-on-hockey-contracts/

http://collegehockeyinc.com/ncaa-eligibility.php

If Hughes signs any deal whether with the Canucks, Comets, or Kalamazoo Wings...even a CHL team, that will be considered a pro contract regardless if it is a PTO, ATO, or legitimate NHL deal, Hughes will be considered a professional player at that point. 

HOWEVER....the caveat is this...

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/27/gaudette-dahlen-and-the-expansion-draft/ ...taking from past articles done about certain players like Brock Boeser and Adam Gaudette when they had considered the 2020 possibility of the expansion draft.  According to the latest NHL CBA agreement

capture37.jpg?w=1024

However, the language said in the CBA extends to players playing in the NHL.  Will be curious to know how much of that is applied to players playing professional games but in the AHL.  Does 10 games in the AHL still constitute a full pro-season?

Time will tell when the decision comes closer next spring, but Canucks should definitely tread water carefully because not having to protect Hughes so that they can protect one more dman or another player will be huge.  However, will Quinn want to wait?  Likely not.  Don't want to piss off your future franchise dman before he even signs...

Hopefully Michigan all the way to frozen 4 until the NHL season is pretty much done

39 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hopefully Michigan all the way to frozen 4 until the NHL season is pretty much done

The national tournament doesn't start until Mar. 29th and the Canucks' season ends on Apr. 6th.  Hughes would need to start playing for the Canucks on Mar. 18th to play 10 games by the end of the season.  Unless Michigan completely falls outside of the top 16 and doesn't even make the national tournament, Hughes won't have enough time to pass that threshold.

I don't think Hughes playing for the Comets is an issue.  The 10 game threshold is for player playing under a SPC, or standard player contract.  Hughes would be playing for the Comets under amateur tryout, or ATO.  If you're on a standard NHL contract, you cannot be assigned to an AHL club if you were not on the AHL team's roster as of 3pm on trade deadline.  Which is why teams make paper transaction on TDL to assign players to the AHL, then immediately recall them.  Players who were not on the AHL roster by 3pm TDL cannot later join the team.  TDL is Feb. 25 this season, so unless Hughes quit and turn pro before his NCAA season ends, there's no way that he'll make it onto the Comets' roster in time.

Therefore, if he signs an NHL contract, he'd be ineligible to play in the AHL this season.  The only way he can play there is if he holds off on an ELC, and as a player without a contract, be a tryout in the AHL.  However, that shouldn't count towards his 10 games since an ATO isn't a standard player contract. 

11 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Do playoff games count as part of the 9?

Yes.

Edited by GoldenAlien

I suspect that Canucks management has a “we will promote the player if he’s ready” approach, even if it means dealing with consequences later on.  

We’ve seen that with guys like Boeser in the past.   “If he’s ready now, he deserves to be here even if it burns an extra year off his ELC.”

”If Motte is NHL calibre, we will waive Gagner and admit to our mistake.”

I think it’s just management style for better or for worse (and for the record, I think this approach is for the better).

As it relates to Hughes, I think management will let Quinn Hughes plays of Quinn Is ready and if Quinn wants to play for the Canucks at the end of the year if his NCAA team is eliminated.  Management will then worry about who to protect at a later date.

“if the young guy is ready now, then don’t delay his progress.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I suspect that Canucks management has a “we will promote the player if he’s ready” approach, even if it means dealing with consequences later on.  

We’ve seen that with guys like Boeser in the past.   “If he’s ready now, he deserves to be here even if it burns an extra year off his ELC.”

”If Motte is NHL calibre, we will waive Gagner and admit to our mistake.”

I think it’s just management style for better or for worse (and for the record, I think this approach is for the better).

As it relates to Hughes, I think management will let Quinn Hughes plays of Quinn Is ready and if Quinn wants to play for the Canucks at the end of the year if his NCAA team is eliminated.  Management will then worry about who to protect at a later date.

“if the young guy is ready now, then don’t delay his progress.”

Absolutely right. They want to ensure that when UFAs are considering where to sign, that Vancouver is known as a team that treats their players well.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If we want to protect him from Seattle draft, he cannot play in the AHL or any professional league. Playing in the league burns a year off his ELC but it still counts as a year of pro-hockey if he signs. 

Wait till the current season is over and sign him in the summer. The few games he might play at the end of this season is not worth losing a year of  non-eligibility towards the Seattle expansion draft. By the time the expansion draft happens the Canucks will have significant player assets they will want to protect and this should be a part of their management strategy. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If the Canucks are still playing when his College season ends and QH wants to play, I don't think asset management is a good enough reason to piss off your future franchise Dman. Remember, we are hoping he signs several contracts with us. Those negotiations will be much more difficult (and likely more expensive) if we start off the relationship with Quinn feeling resentment.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

If we want to protect him from Seattle draft, he cannot play in the AHL or any professional league. Playing in the league burns a year off his ELC but it still counts as a year of pro-hockey if he signs. 

To be honest, for the expansion draft, we won’t have many Dmen that we absolutely need to protect. Juolevi and Hughes and that’s about it. The last spot is between Stecher, Hutton and Pouliot....

18 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

If the Canucks are still playing when his College season ends and QH wants to play, I don't think asset management is a good enough reason to piss off your future franchise Dman. Remember, we are hoping he signs several contracts with us. Those negotiations will be much more difficult (and likely more expensive) if we start off the relationship with Quinn feeling resentment.

I totally agree.  Great players need to be treated differently come negotiations.  Look how Trevor insisted the twins be treated.  It's how things work.  Crosby/ Malkin ... OV ... Toews/Kane.  Any team that doesn't treat their great players respectfully, will have difficulties later on.

I see Quinn with us this spring for sure.  Then, when we win the lotto, we better draft his bother - Jack.  

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

To be honest, for the expansion draft, we won’t have many Dmen that we absolutely need to protect. Juolevi and Hughes and that’s about it. The last spot is between Stecher, Hutton and Pouliot....

Guddy says hello. Guddy before clueless pilot or 'no defense Hutton'. Also needs someone to lay the beat-down and teach our man-child Jake how to be the future beat-down guy.

Having said that, it all depends on how creative the front office gets. 
The Canucks, in theory, could get creative. Stecher is a hometown kid, he wants to play here. His deal expires at end of 2019-20 and he is still a RFA. In theory, Canucks could give him a 1 year deal, at the end of which, he is a UFA during the expansion draft. They could have a 'verbal understanding' to have Stecher refuse Seattle's offer, thus 'virtually protecting him' without using up a slot. 
The risk is, Seattle is so damn close to us and is practically a Vancouver clone in the US - if Seattle really wanted him, Stecher also gets to remain 'practically a home-boy' and play for Seattle. 

I think the real question shouldn't be who do we protect in the expansion draft, but rather who of our current players will still be on the roster by the 2020-2021 season? 

As it stands right now, the only D that we have signed for 2020-2021 are Gudbranson and Juolevi. For all intents and purposes, let's presume Hutton signs an extension. Assuming Hughes signs at the end of the current NCAA season and burns the first year of his ELC, which one of Gudbranson, Juolevi, Hutton, and Hughes do we leave unprotected? Will all four still be with the team by this point? What happens if we sign Myers or Gardiner or Gunnarson as UFAs during the upcoming free agency? Do we protect any of them?

The point I'm trying to make is that there are so many moving parts that making decisions now for an expansion draft taking place 2 seasons later is a bit premature. Our roster can be completely overhauled, or perhaps there will be a plan in place to ship Eriksson to Seattle that will cost us Juolevi or Hutton. I think it's best not to use the expansion draft as justfication to delay Hughes progression if he is indeed ready to play.

• Upvote 1