The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Also, WTF is up with the USA coaching staff. You have the Hughes bros playing on the same f******* team and you don't put them on the same pp unit? That's like putting the Sedin twins on different pp units. Really dumb stuff.

was wondering the same thing... why the hell wasn't he on the 1pp throughout the tournament. 

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

Tons of high-profile prospects play in these tournaments and don't look as good as people were expecting. This really isn't a tournament to decide whether someone is good or bad.

Remember Hodson looked like the best player ever... over Tavares, P.K., Markstrom etc. lol

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

It is plain and simple because he just isn’t ready.  

His skating is really nice.  But that isn’t enough to be an NHL defender. 

He looked physically weak against his own peers.  Imagine when he is in the corner with someone 6’3 230lbs.  

His positioning won’t work in the bigs either, not to mention he is a turnover machine from trying too much. 

He he has a solid amount of time before he is a solid contributor on both sides of the puck. 

We don’t need Goldy playing D

I believe people said the same thing about Elias.  Skinny kid 165 pounds soaking wet with no shoulders, gonna get murdered in the NHL.  A year later he’s a generational talent.  Also, how many players in the NHL are 6’3” 230lbs?  Do the Canucks even have one player that big other than maybe Gudbranson?

Hughes may be small but he showed some grit going after that guy that hit his brother and dropped the gloves.  I don’t see a lot of guys on the Canucks doing that who are much bigger.  He obviously needs work on the defensive side of his game, but his elite skating will allow him to get out of tough situations and let him excel in the offensive zone.  Erik Karlsson isn’t much bigger and last I checked he won the Norris trophy twice. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

By adjustments I didn't mean drastically change I meant adjust.

He'll never go away from his puck carrying rover game & he never should. That's what makes him special. I've said before I can't remember the last time a defenseman like this came along through the draft & I'm delighted to have him just like everyone.

But that doesn't mean everything is always perfect. There are times where he's just trying to do a bit too much on his own. He ends up trying to force a shot or skating himself into a bad play. I saw a bit of that against Russia and in the NHL his time + space will be limited more, he'll still be elusive but there will be that extra 10-20% of the time (or whatever number) where he'll have to make a quick play & pick his spots a bit more rather than trying to force something himself.

Its just minor stuff, his IQ is almost as much an asset for him as his skating so I don't have any concern's about translating. There might be the odd bump early on but he'll get it and he'll be that game controlling defenseman for us that he can be. As you describe Surfer. ::D

Great post Kass

The special ones know when there is even the smalllest seam they can burst through. And they do.

if Hughes is “extra” special? He’ll trry sometimes anyway!  :bigblush:

Draw two guys and we’ll score anyway off the mayhem & blown coverages. Just as often as we cough up bad giveaways.

I am just kidding. You are right in the bigger picture.  He’ll need to know when to take chances. And when not. 

But i bet he’ll be fun if we need a key goal at the end of the game. Coach whispers over his shoulder before he jumps on to the ice.

Green light go.

That’s all you know!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe people said the same thing about Elias.  Skinny kid 165 pounds soaking wet with no shoulders, gonna get murdered in the NHL.  A year later he’s a generational talent.  Also, how many players in the NHL are 6’3” 230lbs?  Do the Canucks even have one player that big other than maybe Gudbranson?

Hughes may be small but he showed some grit going after that guy that hit his brother and dropped the gloves.  I don’t see a lot of guys on the Canucks doing that who are much bigger.  He obviously needs work on the defensive side of his game, but his elite skating will allow him to get out of tough situations and let him excel in the offensive zone.  Erik Karlsson isn’t much bigger and last I checked he won the Norris trophy twice. 

Karlsson is 6’ 190.  Hughes is 5’9” 173.  That is a big difference.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well Elias has already suffered a concussion and let's hope that we're not adding a knee injury to the list already.  It's pretty obvious that Elias' size was the biggest contributing factor in both cases.  

Defenders have to go back to retrieve the puck and are a lot more prone to big hits.  

I've said it before, but waiting for an extra year for Quinn is not the end of the world.  Defenders take longer to be NHL ready then forwards. 

6 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Ya Very disappointed overall 4 me. Not bad , but not the "generational talent" level he has been made out to be imo . 

I was expecting dominance like Pettersson in the SHL, not half decent. Sure hope he is better for the Canucks then he was at the world Juniors. Like i said , he was good , but not outstanding,  and outstanding is what we need . Wish i hadnt watched , cause i am super disappointed . 

Who's making him out to be generational?  I didn't realise the term allowed for 2 (Hughes and Dahlin) generational talents in the same generation?

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

He looked physically weak against his own peers.  Imagine when he is in the corner with someone 6’3 230lbs.  

His positioning won’t work in the bigs either, not to mention he is a turnover machine from trying too much. 

He he has a solid amount of time before he is a solid contributor on both sides of the puck. 

I dunno, I think Pettersson will be just fine when he makes the jump to the NHL.

Do you hope Hughes makes you eat humble pie next year?

37 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well Elias has already suffered a concussion and let's hope that we're not adding a knee injury to the list already.  It's pretty obvious that Elias' size was the biggest contributing factor in both cases.  

Defenders have to go back to retrieve the puck and are a lot more prone to big hits.  

I've said it before, but waiting for an extra year for Quinn is not the end of the world.  Defenders take longer to be NHL ready then forwards. 

Eric Lindros suffered 8 concussions in the NHL.  He was 6'4" 240lbs.  Large players can get concussed as well and their careers end, it's not just the skinny guys.  Also, his leg went underneath him and his knee bent in an awkward position.  If anything his skinny bones and flexibility helped him to avoid a serious injury.  If he was 6'3" 230lbs and landed on his knee like that he would have blown out his ACL...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Karlsson is 6’ 190.  Hughes is 5’9” 173.  That is a big difference.

Hughes is actually 5'10" to be exact.  Also, Erik Karlsson is 28.  I highly doubt he was 190lbs when he came into the NHL at age 19.  I'm sure Hughes can put on another 10 pounds as he fills out over the next 5 years.  

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I watched the whole tourney.  He was absolutely weak.    He is quick and smart enough to win some board battles, but I saw it differently for sure.  He get pushed around pretty easy.  Very ineffective in front of the net as well.  

I guess maybe we saw it differently. He looked like he was just playing his game to me. He was one of the Americans most steady & reliable defenseman all night. On top of being a 1 man breakout machine.

He's 5'10 the guys not going to win every battle, but in this game he won most of them.

A year or or two for a kid that age can make a world of difference.  What are you even talking about?    Lol.  

Never seen a human physically between 18-19-20?   Especially one who is training hard to add size and strength.  

So yeah, a year or two matters big time.  And he needs it. And that’s ok.

That he does have, and I thin that will make him something special.  One day.

But he's 5'10. What do you expect him to grow 4 inches? He can add more muscle but that will never be his strength.

So what does he do? Sign next year & play against the same size men in the AHL? Or stay in college & play against players that are 20+?

As far as talent & ability he should be ready at the end of his season. He's going to be playing against bigger guys anyways, might aswell have him start learning to apply his game in the NHL.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Great post Kass

The special ones know when there is even the smalllest seam they can burst through. And they do.

if Hughes is “extra” special? He’ll trry sometimes anyway!  :bigblush:

Draw two guys and we’ll score anyway off the mayhem & blown coverages. Just as often as we cough up bad giveaways.

I am just kidding. You are right in the bigger picture.  He’ll need to know when to take chances. And when not. 

But i bet he’ll be fun if we need a key goal at the end of the game. Coach whispers over his shoulder before he jumps on to the ice.

Green light go.

That’s all you know!

Oh he'll still do it. He'll still be a 1 man breakout. He'll evade guys all over the ice, his skating is ridiculous. I'm so excited to see him in a Canucks jersey.

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I have been turned off by the WJC simply because of the 'hot air' being blown up these kids ar*ses. Media are exploiting them to get their 'clicks'. You are bang on that Hughes has some work to do. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't necessarily agree.   The kind of pressure I'd be concerned with is forecheckers / down low trying to handle NHL forwards - at this stage of his development.   In fairness, there is a lot of speed and aggressiveness in the WJC game, so it's not like he's not facing good quality competition when he struggles in those particular areas.

But 'fans" tend to pick their whipping boys and choose not to see the errors of their pets.   If you're seen as a marginal player making mistakes, prepare to face a fan base that is all over you.   But if you're a Boeser, etc, you can make as many errors as your counterparts and they slide by relatively unnoticed by most.

I think Hughes will adapt well - and will probably have a solid partner - and some pretty good two way forwards to play with - on a team that doesn't simp'ly come together for a tournament like this - that's one thing to keep in mind are the relatively short-terms these guys work together, get used to each other, team systems, etc.   So I'm not terribly concerned about his hiccups, but I still don't see any real impetus to rush him in.

Fans want him in because the Canucks are a playoff team, don'tcha know?

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I guess maybe we saw it differently. He looked like he was just playing his game to me. He was one of the Americans most steady & reliable defenseman all night. On top of being a 1 man breakout machine.

He's 5'10 the guys not going to win every battle, but in this game he won most of them.

But he's 5'10. What do you expect him to grow 4 inches? He can add more muscle but that will never be his strength.

So what does he do? Sign next year & play against the same size men in the AHL? Or stay in college & play against players that are 20+?

As far as talent & ability he should be ready at the end of his season. He's going to be playing against bigger guys anyways, might aswell have him start learning to apply his game in the NHL.

there are probably people here who STILL think that jordan subban is going to end up 6'2" 220lbs due to a late growth spurt. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe people said the same thing about Elias.  Skinny kid 165 pounds soaking wet with no shoulders, gonna get murdered in the NHL.    

I know what you are saying but, they play vERY different positions.   Elias doesn’t need to clear the crease or anything like that.   

Also, EP has been getting thrown around all year.  

A year later he’s a generational talent.  Also, how many players in the NHL are 6’3” 230lbs?  Do the Canucks even have one player that big other than maybe Gudbranson?

He is amazing, but he isn’t generational. 

And lots of players are that big.  

Bo is around 230.  

Hughes may be small but he showed some grit going after that guy that hit his brother and dropped the gloves.  I don’t see a lot of guys on the Canucks doing that who are much bigger.

Sure, he will go after another 18 year old kid.  That’s awesome to see. He won’t be doing that against full grown men. At least not without getting beat up.  

He obviously needs work on the defensive side of his game, but his elite skating will allow him to get out of tough situations and let him excel in the offensive zone.  Erik Karlsson isn’t much bigger and last I checked he won the Norris trophy twice. 

Norris is all about points.  

But yeah, hopefully his skating makes up for his tiny frame. 

6 hours ago, dura_mater said:

I dunno, I think Pettersson will be just fine when he makes the jump to the NHL.

Do you hope Hughes makes you eat humble pie next year?

Yup I do hope that.  I’d love to be proven wrong.  

I’m rooting for the kid.  I just refuse to hang off his jockstrap like most of CDC and ignore his very obvious issues he needs to work on and overcome. 

• Like 1