The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Oh man, I want Hughes here now. That cheeky bank pass to set up to breakaway winner in 3-on-3 OT:

Hughes had 2 assists in the 3-2 win, but only one will count officially as 3-on-3 OT points don’t get credited to season scoring stats (NCAA quirk).

It boggles my mind why the NCAA does this. Why can't OT points count on official score-sheet as well? I can't think of any other leagues at any level or international games does this.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

It boggles my mind why the NCAA does this. Why can't OT points count on official score-sheet as well? I can't think of any other leagues at any level or international games does this.

I think it’s just that the 3-on-3 is new. They play a five minute 5v5 OT, which traditionally was how games ended. If tied, it was just scored a tie. Now they continue to 3v3 for 5 minutes and play for an extra point (and shootout after if still tied). I’d expect they’ll eventually adopt 3-on-3 fully and count the points scored, but they’re just experimenting with the format right now.

In any case, Hughes is deadly in 3-on-3 because he has so much space to work with and he combines elite skating, a high degree of escapability, and superior playmaking, making him a constant threat when he’s out. The points he picks up might not pad his totals, but the experience of playing those 3v3 OTs is certainly preparing him for the extra frame at the pro level.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect is messing with me
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

What was with all the hype for Mittelstadt last year?  Hughes is in his D+1 like Mittelstadt was, is a defenseman, and has a higher in ppg...

The 2017 draft at the time was seen as a relatively weak draft with average players and not a lot of elite talent. Mittlestadt at the time was consider one of the more promising players who could become a 1st line center. He also had a good WJC (I personally am not too hype up or get too down with players performance at WJC). In recent years, players with a good WJC gets hyped by the media a lot. Not a lot of media coverage on junior games or NCAA games, and if a player have a good WJC, they get a lot of vibe. Remember the hype around Hogdson and Schroeder after their WJC performances? It is similar to that.

• Upvote 2

On 12/6/2018 at 6:57 AM, stawns said:

you have no idea if Hughes will be able to pull that off against the est players in the world.  I want to think he can, but at his size, it's not going to be easy

Disagree.  Cam Robinson says if he were to play on the Canucks today he'd be their best skating defense man.  That says a lot.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:57 PM, stawns said:

you have no idea if Hughes will be able to pull that off against the est players in the world.  I want to think he can, but at his size, it's not going to be easy

He didn’t look out of place as an 18 year old playing against the best players in the world at the WC. Given the way the game is trending I’m not too worried.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

They treat it the same a shot outs.  Its after the extra frame  

12 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

What was with all the hype for Mittelstadt last year?  Hughes is in his D+1 like Mittelstadt was, is a defenseman, and has a higher in ppg...

Middlestad was according to THN, the best prospect in Hockey... looks like he is still a top prospect in hockey....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Disagree.  Cam Robinson says if he were to play on the Canucks today he'd be their best skating defense man.  That says a lot.

100% agree, but he would struggle without possession at times IMO.  He and EP40 could play keep away all night.  They would have too.  

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Says a lot about Hughes or the current state of our defence?

Mostly kidding. Hughes would be the best skating defenceman on a lot of teams. He’s that good. But our defence definitely needs some work.

Call me crazy, my wife does, but I am more excited to see Woo in a nucks Jersey.  

Hughes is going to be electrifying, but I love the throwback d man that can get Gordie Howe hat tricks.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

He didn’t look out of place as an 18 year old playing against the best players in the world at the WC. Given the way the game is trending I’m not too worried.

Yep he looked great, when you have Patrick Kane swooning over you then yah you've got game! All his US team mates were impressed by him. I'm sure they know how to judge whether a guy can play in the NHL or not.

I feel that Quinn Hughes is the 3rd best player in the Canucks organization right now, behing Bo and EP, ahead of Brock and Virt.  He is going to change the entire look of this team when he signs.  Can't believe we have him.  We haven't ever had a defenseman that has the gamebreaking skill and skating ability he does.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yep he looked great, when you have Patrick Kane swooning over you then yah you've got game! All his US team mates were impressed by him. I'm sure they know how to judge whether a guy can play in the NHL or not.

Now just imagine if we get his bro. 2 Pat Kanes??

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I feel that Quinn Hughes is the 3rd best player in the Canucks organization right now, behing Bo and EP, ahead of Brock and Virt.  He is going to change the entire look of this team when he signs.  Can't believe we have him.  We haven't ever had a defenseman that has the gamebreaking skill and skating ability he does.

I watched his game yesterday, first game I've seen him play in awhile....I may have caught myself drooling at one point. His vision is incredible, his turns and passing are crisp. My favourite part was how he uses his edgework and quick speed to create room. Speed in that he will be going along at a good clip and then, bam, boosters that catch defenders flat footed. I honestly believe he will be yet another Calder candidate for the Canucks next year. Exactly, exactly the kind of dman this team desperately needs.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1