The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I wonder if the people saying Quinn Hughes is going to get injured because he’s small know that being 6’ 2” 220 pounds doesn’t make you injury proof?

seriously though, is there any quantitative data at all that correlates size and likelihood of injury? I’ve never seen one so either no one talks about it or it doesn’t exist

Of course not.  It is the standard excuse, based on the default CFIC (Canuck Fan Inferiority Complex).  Unless a prospect is minimally 190lbs they are not permitted to play in the NHL, and 185 is the minimum for the AHL.  Until they reach those standards they will certainly "get destroyed" and must be kept out.  Matters not if they are the best prospect in the world outside of the NHL (Pettersson) or a mobile proven-against-men elusive player (Hughes).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

NEWS FLASH - for those concerned about his size, he would be playing against Men in college too.   Perhaps it would make more sense to have him take another year in high school, say Ontario's Grade 13 of yesteryear, to appease some?   

True, however I'd counter by saying the speed of the game is much faster in pro hockey.

To me the AHL is much more of a grinders league. Seems like there's alot of fringe fourth liners there looking to make a name for themselves. i'd be more worried about him having his head taken off there than in the NHL to be honest.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

True, however I'd counter by saying the speed of the game is much faster in pro hockey.

To me the AHL is much more of a grinders league. Seems like there's alot of fringe fourth liners there looking to make a name for themselves. i'd be more worried about him having his head taken off there than in the NHL to be honest.

Uh, the speed of high end US college hockey is pretty fast DeNiro.   The "game" is faster at NHL but not light years and not to the degree that makes big men any different to play against.    I find that argument similar to that when people say hockey in playoffs in Sweden or Finland isn't "tough like NHL".   

If Hughes is physically ready for high end NCAA challenge, he will be fine in NHL.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, the speed of high end US college hockey is pretty fast DeNiro.   The "game" is faster at NHL but not light years and not to the degree that makes big men any different to play against.    I find that argument similar to that when people say hockey in playoffs in Sweden or Finland isn't "tough like NHL".   

If Hughes is physically ready for high end NCAA challenge, he will be fine in NHL.

Every time I hear a college player talk about the adjustment to the pro game, first thing they mention is how fast the game is.

Sure it's not "light years" but your decision making has to be a step faster, which can be all the difference sometimes.

Just imagine a 230lb Reaves coming at you full steam and you've got less than a second to unload the puck and avoid the check. If you're not used to that increase in speed it might not end well.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every time I hear a college player talk about the adjustment to the pro game, first thing they mention is how fast the game is.

Sure it's not "light years" but your decision making has to be a step faster, which can be all the difference sometimes.

Just imagine a 230lb Reaves coming at you full steam and you've got less than a second to unload the puck and avoid the check. If you're not used to that increase in speed it might not end well.

That 230 Reaves is in the box serving a few after a tussle with Rousell.    He later tries again but Schaller takes him hard into the boards with a legal, but heavy, check that has Reaves visiting the "room" for an evaluation.   He decides to leave Hughes alone for the rest of the season.

That is what I am imagining.   

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That 230 Reaves is in the box serving a few after a tussle with Rousell.    He later tries again but Schaller takes him hard into the boards with a legal, but heavy, check that has Reaves visiting the "room" for an evaluation.   He decides to leave Hughes alone for the rest of the season.

I'm hoping these guys can provide a deterrence too.

Unfortunately it only takes one bad hit and he's dealing with a shoulder or head injury the rest of the season.

I'm not saying he's not ready, I just think they need to be very sure that he's ready. We don't need to be rushing a prospect that is so important to our future.

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm hoping these guys can provide a deterrence too.

Unfortunately it only takes one bad hit and he's dealing with a shoulder or head injury the rest of the season.

I'm not saying he's not ready, I just think they need to be very sure that he's ready. We don't need to be rushing a prospect that is so important to our future.

That goes for every player in the league.   He is either physically ready or he isn't - the player and the coaches/training staff will have the best read on that and given he was the youngest player in NCAA last year and played at WHC and didn't break, he is likely close if not there.   

• Cheers 1

If Hughes plays for the Canucks:

- Rogers Arena will "look" pretty packed on game nights, it would be electric every time Hughes hits the ice.

- Fans will be engaged, Hughes' jerseys and t-shirts will be flying off the shelves

- Canucks will be in the hunt for one of the last playoff spots (but might just miss out)

If Hughes goes back to College:

- Rogers Arena will "look" pretty empty, and be pretty quiet.

- Fans will stay home to watch, if they watch, maybe there will be some Sedin t-shirts on clearance people can sift through in the Canucks Store.

- Canucks will finish in the bottom 5 again, because their D can't score...or defend well.

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I feel like Reaves vs. Roussel would be like giant flyswatter vs crippled fly. Not sure if I'm alone in this, but Reaves is the one guy I'd be most terrified to be on the ice with. Maybe Byfuglien is a harder hitter, but Reaves has to be one of the toughest fighters in the league.

As for Hughes, I feel like (to a certain extent) the typical concerns over a smaller player are not quite applicable, just because he is so smart, plays with his head up, and is adept at evading fore-checkers. I hope he goes pro this year, and regardless of which league he plays in I expect he'll adapt very quickly.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Too bad Gaudreau only lasted one season, Spurgeon a half, Gerbe 20 games, Johnson 10 games, and Girard's career ended after 1 period.

:wacko:

Patrick Kane also only lasted a game or two, no? 

6 minutes ago, Guile said:

I feel like Reaves vs. Roussel would be like giant flyswatter vs crippled fly. Not sure if I'm alone in this, but Reaves is the one guy I'd be most terrified to be on the ice with. Maybe Byfuglien is a harder hitter, but Reaves has to be one of the toughest fighters in the league.

As for Hughes, I feel like (to a certain extent) the typical concerns over a smaller player are not quite applicable, just because he is so smart, plays with his head up, and is adept at evading fore-checkers. I hope he goes pro this year, and regardless of which league he plays in I expect he'll adapt very quickly.

I'd prefer that Gudbranson takes on Reaves versus Roussel or Schaller.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Too bad Gaudreau only lasted one season, Spurgeon a half, Gerbe 20 games, Johnson 10 games, and Girard's career ended after 1 period.

And Hughes is better than all those guys combined!!!:towel:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd prefer that Gudbranson takes on Reaves versus Roussel or Schaller.

Gudbranson may fair the best, but with his recent injury history I hope he fights very little and only when absolutely necessary.

I am hopeful he has a huge and healthy year and becomes that legit 3 - 4 with size we could really use. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gaudreau spent 3 years in college, entered the league at 21.

Spurgeon entered the league in his D+3 season, at 21.

Gerbe spent 3 years in college, 2 years in the AHL, and entered the league at 23.

See the pattern?

We're talking about an 18 year old. Strength is always an issue with smaller players like this.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That goes for every player in the league.   He is either physically ready or he isn't - the player and the coaches/training staff will have the best read on that and given he was the youngest player in NCAA last year and played at WHC and didn't break, he is likely close if not there.   

No not really.

If a player is stronger they're better able to brace themselves against a hit and therefore lessen the damage. If a player is weak they're going to be flying into the boards like a pinball.

As for the WHC being a test it's not really the same style of game. The physicality is much less than the NHL. It's more of a skill based game in that tournament.

Just now, DeNiro said:

No not really.

If a player is stronger they're better able to brace themselves against a hit and therefore lessen the damage. If a player is weak they're going to be flying into the boards like a pinball.

As for the WHC being a test it's not really the same style of game. The physicality is much less than the NHL. It's more of a skill based game in that tournament.

OK, agree to disagree.  I think if player/coaches and trainers say he is read, he is ready.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gaudreau spent 3 years in college, entered the league at 21.

Spurgeon entered the league in his D+3 season, at 21.

Gerbe spent 3 years in college, 2 years in the AHL, and entered the league at 23.

See the pattern?

We're talking about an 18 year old. Strength is always an issue with smaller players like this.

Hughes is a phenom.  There will be no issues.  Orr started playing at 150.