The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

If Hughes can outplay Stecher and Pouliot in preseason, the club will have no choice but let him stick around!  One thing that works in his favour is that he's a true offensive D-man and we've been lacking a PP QB for so long!! 

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

If Hughes can outplay Stecher and Pouliot in preseason, the club will have no choice but let him stick around!  One thing that works in his favour is that he's a true offensive D-man and we've been lacking a PP QB for so long!! 

Hughes will easily outplay all our D, except Tanev, Edler, and Guddy.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol that would be half the starting 6

Tanev is an elite shut-down guy.  Edler is very experienced.  Guddy is rough and tumble.  Hughes plays a different game than those three, or I’d say he’s already better than them too.  Hughes is a unique player.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guddy can't even outplay Guddy.

As for Tanev and Edler, I would hope they can still play better than a 19 year old. Both play much different games though.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I don’t see Dahlen in Utica to start next year.  I think the reason the Canucks didn’t sign top 6 free agents is because they have plans for Pettersson and Dahlen on the second line.  The 2nd line will probably be Dahlen Sutter Pettersson.  Sutter has a pretty easy job, all he has to do is take the faceoffs and pass the puck to Pettersson.  That’s it.  He will be the defensive conscience on that line.  Once Pettersson is ready they’ll probably put Roussel on that line and put Sutter back to centre the 3rd line. They could have signed Grabner but said no for a reason.  They want Dahlen there as their 2nd line left winger.  

Where do you fit Eriksson then? He gets paid big $ to play top 6! If Dahlen is really ready, just stick all 3 Swedes together!!  How swede is that? Sutter is just a good 3rd line centre... 

57 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Where do you fit Eriksson then? He gets paid big $ to play top 6! If Dahlen is really ready, just stick all 3 Swedes together!!  How swede is that? Sutter is just a good 3rd line centre... 

On the 3rd line with Gaudette or he’s bought out.  He wasn’t good enough to crack the top 6 last year.  His play with the Sedins fizzled down the stretch. So Green put him in the bottom 6 and was an average checker.  I’d buy him out or trade him personally.  Most of his $36 mill has already been paid out.  Pettersson and Dahlen need someone that will play defence.  Like Trent Klatt, the gritty defensive conscience 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I don’t see Dahlen in Utica to start next year.  I think the reason the Canucks didn’t sign top 6 free agents is because they have plans for Pettersson and Dahlen on the second line.  The 2nd line will probably be Dahlen Sutter Pettersson.  Sutter has a pretty easy job, all he has to do is take the faceoffs and pass the puck to Pettersson.  That’s it.  He will be the defensive conscience on that line.  Once Pettersson is ready they’ll probably put Roussel on that line and put Sutter back to centre the 3rd line. They could have signed Grabner but said no for a reason.  They want Dahlen there as their 2nd line left winger.  

That sounds amazing. Let's see if he signs first. If he's ready for top 4 in short order I'm fine with giving up mdz up.  Even Hutton and / Pouliot if needed. But only if he's better then stech, mdz, Poul, and Hutt.

AHL is fine so is NCAA with a late season join to the nux roster. I don't care either way if he's ready. We seem to be all assuming Juolevi is starting in the A. With a strong camp he could make things interesting. Hughes and Juolevi are 2 adds we need.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I've just binge watched a whole bunch of Hughes highlights. 

Hughes will easily surpass all of our defensemen, including the three you mentioned. There is no denying such talent. He is generational and six teams thought he was too small and deliberately missed out on him. The Sabres, Hurricanes, Canadiens, Senators, Coyotes and Red Wings will remember June 22nd as the day they missed out on the second coming of Bobby Orr. Ok they're saying Letang. Hey I'll take a three-time Stanley Cup defenseman like Letang any day.

Edited by Me_

That move Hughes made would almost never work in the NHL. That defender looked horrible on that play. Dont get me wrong it gets an A for aweomeness but that type of high risk move is rarely going to end with that outcome playing in the NHL.

He will have many highlight real moments though I hope. Trying to determine what game or 2 next season I want to go to!!