The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On 8/24/2023 at 10:07 PM, EastCoastNucks said:

point is, if you were a SUCCESSFUL coach, the canucks would have been a positive defensive team with OEL, Myers, Hughes, Burrooughs playing together.

Please tell us more about your SUCCESSFUL offensive D pairings playing with offensive Dmen. You might get a job in Calgary

Might actually be Carolina with how they're building our their defense (minus Slavin of course) :lol:

On 8/24/2023 at 10:20 PM, EastCoastNucks said:

I am a f**king angry elf. We wasted 3 years on MYERS trying to make him the backup D-man when he should be going full tilt. A friggin waste, and we all complain that he cant stop the 2 on 1 and all that.... the point is Myers has been on the wrong side of the equation for years. Fans want the defense to score points and these idiot coaches put offensive defense on the same pairing. Yes Im an angry f**king elf

I don't care if my defense gets points or not.  I want them to play defense.......tye biggest obstacle to that was coaching......when RT came in, Myers got much better.  That's why I didn't want them to buy out OEL, he would have been back to form under RT

8 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't care if my defense gets points or not.  I want them to play defense.......tye biggest obstacle to that was coaching......when RT came in, Myers got much better.  That's why I didn't want them to buy out OEL, he would have been back to form under RT

My whole point about Woo is he is the backup singer these offensive Dmen need, Hughes, Horonek, Myers, OEL, Wolanin all need behind them. remember PK Subban? geez I was so happy when he stayed on the PP for the whole two minutes with his ego, we had our best shorthanded goals when he was on the ice.

Subban had good years when paired with Roman Hamrlik, Hal Gill or Gorges. Then Montreal put him with Markov and yes they scored a ton but everyone scored a ton more even against Price.

So all you fan boys wanting Hughes and Horonek, or Hughes and Winningar to play same line need to pay more attention to what actually works.

I think even if Woo only plays with Myers, you will see Myers have a rebound year. Woo wont get the fan credit but hope he at least gets the D coach credit

11 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I think even if Woo only plays with Myers, you will see Myers have a rebound year. Woo wont get the fan credit but hope he at least gets the D coach credit

They're both right side D FWIW.

Myers will more likely be playing with Irwin, Wolanin, Brisebois or Hirose... Maybe one of Soucy/Cole if someone else fits with Hughes (maybe when Bear gets healthy or if coaches figure Hughes can carry a Juulsen/Johansen/Woo...?).

Though those are largely defensive D with complementary skill sets to the more offensive Hughes/Hronek/Myers, to your point ;)

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

They're both right side D FWIW.

Myers will more likely be playing with Irwin, Wolanin, Brisebois or Hirose... Maybe one of Soucy/Cole if someone else fits with Hughes (maybe when Bear gets healthy or if coaches figure Hughes can carry a Juulsen/Johansen/Woo...?).

Though those are largely defensive D with complementary skill sets to the more offensive Hughes/Hronek/Myers, to your point ;)

If we get Bear back...

Bear/Heronik

Woo/Hoo

Soos/Myers

maybe on the bad defensive teams, Soocy goes up to Husey and myers gets woolany

Demko/Martin till TDL and then Silvos up for playoffs

47 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

If we get Bear back...

Bear/Heronik

Woo/Hoo

Soos/Myers

maybe on the bad defensive teams, Soocy goes up to Husey and myers gets woolany

Demko/Martin till TDL and then Silvos up for playoffs

I think we'd more likely see:

Hughes, Bear

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Myers

Could literally roll all three pairs and not particularly worry about any of them. need a better long term solution for Hughes though. Woo/Johansen can replace Myers next year.

Edited by aGENT

I think we are jumping the gun when we say Woo, Johansson,Brisebois are legit nhl d men 

I am curious to see the battle for the that 6th D spot (Hronny, Huggy, Cole, Myers, Soucy ate the nhl D)

woo

joho

rathbone 

irwin

wolanin

Hirose 

Beisebois 

that’s a lot of tweeners right therrrrr

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Bear

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Myers

Could literally roll all three pairs and not particularly worry about any of them. need a better long term solution for Hughes though. Woo/Johansen can replace Myers next year.

If Myers gets a defensman who can play behind him, like an actual defensive Dman, Myers would be worth his final cap hit. And would likely sign for a reasonable amount. And he could get his legs going. Would like to see him in front of the opposite goalie instead of blocking Demko or Martin

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think we are jumping the gun when we say Woo, Johansson,Brisebois are legit nhl d men 

I am curious to see the battle for the that 6th D spot (Hronny, Huggy, Cole, Myers, Soucy ate the nhl D)

woo

joho

rathbone 

irwin

wolanin

Hirose 

Beisebois 

its amazing we had a year complaining about defense but we were really complaining about cap, the skill is there in abby. some people dont even know we have the highest scoring Dman in AHL in Wolanin.

and I AM NOT EVEN ASKING FOR WOLANAIN TO COME UP YET!

i am just suggesting, the success Wolanin had is more to do with who is his backup D-man than everyone who sees the stats thinks.

Showing results for ahl defenseman scoring stats
Search instead for ahl defensmen scoring stats

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

AHL Defensemen Scoring Leaders 2022‑2023
Rk Name P/GP
1 Christian Wolanin 1.122
2 Lucas Carlsson 0.885
3 Darren Raddysh 1.020
4 Brogan Rafferty 0.708

31 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

woo

joho

rathbone 

irwin

wolanin

Hirose 

Beisebois 

And juulsen 

36 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

woo

joho

rathbone 

irwin

wolanin

Hirose 

Beisebois 

5 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

And juulsen 

so yeah, gets back to another thought I had, we ride to the playoffs and then we can sacrifice d-men all the way to the cup. Suspension for taking out McDavid? sorry sir, we will use someone from Abby. Another suspension for taking off Marchand"s head? yes sir ok sir we got someone.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Bear

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Myers

I think 1.5 mill myers can replace 6 mil myers next year.

31 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

What does this even mean? His cap hit for the entire 23/24 season is $6 million. His salary is irrelevant, it's the cap hit that is the killer.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think he means if Myers re-signed for cheap.

yeah I think half of Myers shitty play is guilt for what we had to pay him. I think he would stay here for a reasonable price on a renewal. We all hate on him not because of his play but because we expected way more for his Cap hit. We would all love him at a price he is worth

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

The discussion was regarding replacing Myers in the 24/25 season (so no, not really jumping the gun). Brisebois has basically already proven he's a legit #8 NHL D FWIW. I don't think it's remotely out of the question to suggest Woo or Johansen  may be ready for #6 D spots in 2 seasons (particularly if we find Hughes a legit partner). I didn't see anyone suggest they could replace Hronek.

10 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I think 1.5 mill myers can replace 6 mil myers next year.

Maybe? I'm one of the few here who doesn't have an irrational hate for Myers. Largely he's been set up to fail here (like Schmidt, OEL etc with ill fitting partners, no structure and no puck support). At third pair though, I might prefer we extend Bear instead (assuming we also continue to tweak the top 4 with Cole likely departing) as he can at least play up the lineup with injuries. Or maybe Lyubushkin (UFA). Or see this year (injuries) how ready guys like Woo and Johansen are for bottom pair roles. Especially if we can use that cap towards someone like Pesce, next to Hughes.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1