The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If necc, waive Giraffe & promote Woo. Who's gonna claim a 6 mill hit? What GM would 'stick their neck out'. We can move bodies around, looking towards youth/the future for a change. Prob better if TM got 50-60 gp in the bigs & spent some time in Abby. Make him depth-insurance; give kids like Woo the opportunity to show their mettle.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:57 PM, Bathgate said:

Is it possible that Woo can be Hughes partner, the stay at home physical half?

I think Woo is at least another season away of just becoming #6 or #7 D man put not ready for top pairing..That would be asking a lot in his development.. He missed a lot of development time between Covid and injuries but had a fantastic season lat year top 4 guy in Abby..

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wouldn't say so in general, but it may be a now or never with the Canucks. He is waiver eligible so if he doesn't make it with the Canucks, there is a good chance that another team will take a chance on him. Given the depth, he very well find himself on the waiver wire going down, but I think he would garner significant interest.

Given his tools of being a right handed dman who can play both sides, along with being a physical/aggressive player, I'm sure a team will take a gamble on him, particularly teams who are very shallow on the backend and are retooling or rebuilding like Philadelphia, Minnesota, St Louis, and San Jose.

I would agree with @Ray_Cathode that Woo's best attributes serve as a physical but almost like a rover like dman. He isn't a stay at home, but likes to gamble at times and attack rather than contain in all 3 zones. 

That sucks as some team will pick up Woo for sure upside is very good.. Also have Rathbone and he won't clear waivers..

Will be interesting..

On 7/27/2023 at 12:22 PM, Fred65 said:

Would you say this isa now or never season ?

That’s a good question without, in my mind, a factual answer. I don’t think it is definitive for the Canucks - Woo’s development over the past season was very strong under the new coaches Can he continue to benefit? I don’t see physical deficiencies that will stop Woo - he appears to be a good enough skater and is very robust for his size. The big question, for me is, how does he process the game? It was quite a surprise to see Hirose, very slight for an NHL defender, perform so well in his brief appearance at the end of last year. His calm demeanour and processing of the game as extraordinary - albeit in a short stint. How well a player does after he has been scouted by the sharpest minds in hockey is quite another question that I believe accounts for the sophomore slump. Woo is untested in the NHL. Any speculation as to his NHL future on my part unlikely to enlighten anyone. So far, I was right about Juolevi, but my Rathbone projection is up in the atmosphere. I do wonder though, if the Canucks did not have Hughes, would Rathbone have had enough opportunity for us to find out definitively his limits.

I was also very high on Rafferty, who was spectacular in the AHL until a concussion courtesy of an AHL multiple offender He appears now to be mired in the minors. Rafferty is now 28, and in 1921-22 he did not have a strong year, but last year rebounded to over fifty points - fourth highest among AHL D’s, miles behind Wolanin. Wolanin is also 28, and emerged this past season after years of mediocre play probably seriously affected by injury. Brisebois, by comparison, is a tadpole at just 26, but this year comported himself well in a limited NHL exposure. Maybe the conclusion to draw is to not be too impatient with defencemen. Or maybe the conclusion is that defencemen can be most affected by the coaching they receive, I was never impressed by Cull, but thought that development surged with the move to Abby and to Colliton. I don’t think it hurt having the Sedins in Abby, either. The time they took teaching individual skills may have filled in weaknesses that players had not previously been instructed in. 

• Cheers 1

Funny enough IMO Wollanin may have some skill is beyond argument but he's not high  end enough to take the gambles he does. Who does IMO fit what is required is Brisebois. He plays D and often on the PK. He's not flashy simply does his asigned job and does it well Can Woo be the same person with added agression is the question. Is Woo better than Burroughs I doubt it. Burroughs got an extra $300K in SJ, but you newwhat you were getting. W, B W are gambles

• Cheers 3

On 7/29/2023 at 1:01 PM, Fred65 said:

Funny enough IMO Wollanin may have some skill is beyond argument but he's not high  end enough to take the gambles he does. Who does IMO fit what is required is Brisebois. He plays D and often on the PK. He's not flashy simply does his asigned job and does it well Can Woo be the same person with added agression is the question. Is Woo better than Burroughs I doubt it. Burroughs got an extra $300K in SJ, but you newwhat you were getting. W, B W are gambles

Yep. Brisbois was one of those guys that brought moderate offence in junior, then went to school in the AHL. Now, he’s pretty good in a seven D role that can come in and play a five or six role- even play a limited four role over short stretches. He can still be exposed against strong/deep teams. And he showed pretty good at pk - always of value. And he moves the puck okay, his stick is not a foreign object only used for slashing and for use as a rudder in turns. He has continued to improve the puck handling skills he was decent at in junior. He is definitely worth the money we pay him.

Would love to see Woo stick with the big club.

His scouting reports have highlighted his skating and hockey IQ, and he has NHL size.  I get the sense it’s mostly confidence with him.

If Juulsen can compliment Hughes, it doesn’t seem too far fetched that Woo could work there in the near future.

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Would love to see Woo stick with the big club.

His scouting reports have highlighted his skating and hockey IQ, and he has NHL size.  I get the sense it’s mostly confidence with him.

If Juulsen can compliment Hughes, it doesn’t seem too far fetched that Woo could work there in the near future.

Juulsen hits like a truck.

Woo is 24 lbs heavier than Dumba.

I think Woo has to establish himself physically before he can be taken seriously. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Juulsen hits like a truck.

Woo is 24 lbs heavier than Dumba.

I think Woo has to establish himself physically before he can be taken seriously. 

Good points.

Laying out a rival opponent would make for a memorable NHL debut.  

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Love hearing this. He was definitely getting under opponents’ skin in the playoffs. Would love to see him settle into this identity in Vancouver

This is going to be a big year for Woo. He'll be a leader in Abby and almost certainly see his dream come true and see at least one NHL game this year. Lots of fans were slagging on him over the last couple of years but forgot just how young he has been the whole time. He's a underrated prospect for us.

In 2-3 years:

Hughes - Willander

DP40 - Hronek

Soucy - Woo

Balanced, big, and skilled. I can't wait. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

This is going to be a big year for Woo. He'll be a leader in Abby and almost certainly see his dream come true and see at least one NHL game this year. Lots of fans were slagging on him over the last couple of years but forgot just how young he has been the whole time. He's a underrated prospect for us.

In 2-3 years:

Hughes - Willander

DP40 - Hronek

Soucy - Woo

Balanced, big, and skilled. I can't wait. 

Agreed. Woo was drafted the same year as Hughes. It makes it seem like he’s taking longer to develop by comparison. Listening to his interview with Faber, he sounds confident. For all the 2nd round picks we have squandered, it would be amazing if he can earn a spot as a steady physical dman that skates well.

His foot speed is an issue but he took a step in the right direction last year.

He was projected as high as Kevin Bieksa with his aggressive play, decent size, right side D,  and taking a leadership role on the farm team. Really liked his play last playoffs when it counted.

The diff is Bieksa put up better offensive numbers but if Woo can continue with his solid defensive play and chip in he could be a decent 3rd pairing option 24-25 season or later this year if he continues to build off of last year.

He's 23 and Bieksa made the big team at 24.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Will be interesting what management will do with Rathbone 24- LD he will not clear waivers if sent down.

Also Jett Woo 23 - RD - 6'0 -200lbs-- Had great season last year and will improve  again this season.

Woo will get claimed this October..

On 8/17/2023 at 8:18 PM, nuck-lifer said:

His foot speed is an issue but he took a step in the right direction last year.

He was projected as high as Kevin Bieksa with his aggressive play, decent size, right side D,  and taking a leadership role on the farm team. Really liked his play last playoffs when it counted.

The diff is Bieksa put up better offensive numbers but if Woo can continue with his solid defensive play and chip in he could be a decent 3rd pairing option 24-25 season or later this year if he continues to build off of last year.

He's 23 and Bieksa made the big team at 24.

The thing with Woo is he had to cover for his partner always going up offensively. He managed to cover so many 2 on 1 chances and no one talks about where Wollannin was on the play, or Hirose, or Julleson. I think Woo is ok with 3 point coverage when Hughes or Heronic jumps up the OZ. yeah, Woo doesnt get points but he is also ok with covering D on his own

• Cheers 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:01 PM, wildcam said:

Will be interesting what management will do with Rathbone 24- LD he will not clear waivers if sent down.

Also Jett Woo 23 - RD - 6'0 -200lbs-- Had great season last year and will improve  again this season.

Woo will get claimed this October..

I think Rathbone is good trade material we have too many offensive defense on both teams. Rathbone is another Hughes/Horonek/Myers/OEL/Karlson/Carlson/

The reason Hughes is still in the negative in +/- is because he is not paired with a defensive defenseman. Even Tanev still has a +61 over 3 years and Hughes is a -9, Tanev doesnt have half the points Hughes does.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I think Rathbone is good trade material we have too many offensive defense on both teams. Rathbone is another Hughes/Horonek/Myers/OEL/Karlson/Carlson/

The reason Hughes is still in the negative in +/- is because he is not paired with a defensive defenseman. Even Tanev still has a +61 over 3 years and Hughes is a -9, Tanev doesnt have half the points Hughes does.

Hughes was a minus the first year without Tanev. He’s been a plus since, even while paired with AHL players. Hughes is a phenom. If we kept Tanev (Benning :picard:) Hughes would have had 100 point season. Cole will be the best partner Hughes has had since Tanev. Still he’s a placeholder until Willander is ready. Woo could surprise though, and won that spot beside Quinn.