The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1 hour ago, Knucklehd said:

Haven't seen much of Woo.  Does anyone seriously think he has the game to make the team?

I do. His skating was really the only knock on him. How far it's come I do not know. But he had a really strong year last year. As a DFD with a mean streak. I like what he brings. But it really boils down to how far along his skating has come. Cause based off his jump in production, he isn't a liability moving the puck. I really want to see what happens in preseason. Guys like Woo and McWard are very intriguing. Hirose as well but that's a left side thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Woo, Hirose, McWard and Johansson will be competing for that third pairing spot on the big club. 

18 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I do. His skating was really the only knock on him. How far it's come I do not know. But he had a really strong year last year. As a DFD with a mean streak. I like what he brings. But it really boils down to how far along his skating has come. Cause based off his jump in production, he isn't a liability moving the puck. I really want to see what happens in preseason. Guys like Woo and McWard are very intriguing. Hirose as well but that's a left side thing.

Between the 4 guys highlighted above I think it’s reasonable to provide 3rd pairing minutes to one of them.  Ideally one steps up and can begin working up the lineup.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

This question was once asked in the Juolevi thread and posters got mad but I believe it’s time to ask the same about Woo.

When does Woo enter potential bust territory? He turns 23 in less than a month. 

I don’t think he has top 4 potential. 

3rd pair? Probably a more realistic possibility. 

Will he be worth that 2nd we spent? In the end probably not. 

I guess what’s next is to see whether or not he’s capable as a 3rd pairing guy. 

On 6/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, Seannnp said:

Hughes ????

OEL Hronek 

Hirose Woo

Fill in that spot next to Hughes with Graves and I think thats a decent top 4. 

Is it possible that Woo can be Hughes partner, the stay at home physical half?

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

This question was once asked in the Juolevi thread and posters got mad but I believe it’s time to ask the same about Woo.

When does Woo enter potential bust territory? He turns 23 in less than a month. 

The question has to be asked is he better than Burroughs, for management to decide. you can't carry both IMO. IMO Burroughs having playes in Vcr he has the edge ?

2 hours ago, UFCanuck said:

The Canucks should capitalize on his name alone, just suit him up.

As well Vancouver has a large asian population, why wouldn't you capitalize on this. 

Richard Park would be proud.

I actually 100% agree with this. From a marketing point of view Woo would be a big add

He also could be the perfect fit for Hughes going forward.

The only thing that has really bugged me the last 5ish years has been prospects not given a chance. Look at Chatfield for example, how nice it’d be to have him being the defensively responsible coloured (lack of better word) partner for Hughes

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am choosing Jett as my surprise player to Crack the opening night roster.  What do you think? 

I don't think it would be a surprise, he is the stay home defenseman and works well with wolanin who is more of a jump up defenseman so he would match well with both Hronek or Hughes.

Alot of people think 2 high scoring defense would be so awesome paired up... but the +/- tells the story. And I bet both Hronek and Hughes agree they need someone trustworthy to cover when they move in. Ian Cole admits that is his sweet spot... I think Woo would say the same.

27 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am choosing Jett as my surprise player to Crack the opening night roster.  What do you think? 

2 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I don't think it would be a surprise, he is the stay home defenseman and works well with wolanin who is more of a jump up defenseman so he would match well with both Hronek or Hughes.

Alot of people think 2 high scoring defense would be so awesome paired up... but the +/- tells the story. And I bet both Hronek and Hughes agree they need someone trustworthy to cover when they move in. Ian Cole admits that is his sweet spot... I think Woo would say the same.

I think Woo could be the answer for Myers on a 3rd pairing, to be honest. Myers could go for the puck and Woo can actually block.

On 6/29/2023 at 5:57 PM, Bathgate said:

Is it possible that Woo can be Hughes partner, the stay at home physical half?

Woo did not play as a stay at home D in Abby: rather, he was aggressive in all three zones. His instinct is to pressure, at his best, that is how he plays. He reminds me of Chatfield in that regard, though I see Woo as more skilled and more powerful. He was the author of some spectacular hits.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Woo did not play as a stay at home D in Abby: rather, he was aggressive in all three zones. His instinct is to pressure, at his best, that is how he plays. He reminds me of Chatfield in that regard, though I see Woo as more skilled and more powerful. He was the author of some spectacular hits.

Would you say this isa now or never season ?

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Would you say this isa now or never season ?

I wouldn't say so in general, but it may be a now or never with the Canucks. He is waiver eligible so if he doesn't make it with the Canucks, there is a good chance that another team will take a chance on him. Given the depth, he very well find himself on the waiver wire going down, but I think he would garner significant interest.

Given his tools of being a right handed dman who can play both sides, along with being a physical/aggressive player, I'm sure a team will take a gamble on him, particularly teams who are very shallow on the backend and are retooling or rebuilding like Philadelphia, Minnesota, St Louis, and San Jose.

I would agree with @Ray_Cathode that Woo's best attributes serve as a physical but almost like a rover like dman. He isn't a stay at home, but likes to gamble at times and attack rather than contain in all 3 zones. 

• Cheers 1