The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

Just now, Alflives said:

Utonen wont help with that.  We saw Hughes was great at the PK.

Persson in Kamloops is a bigger guy (6’2 and 200 pounds) and he’s very good defensively.  I see him doing really well in Abbotsford next year.  

Yeah I have a soft spot for Persson despite covid screwing up his season last year he percevered and has expierienced the NA game. Likey just needs  a fine  tuning

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah I have a soft spot for Persson despite covid screwing up his season last year he percevered and has expierienced the NA game. Likey just needs  a fine  tuning

Ijust notived this from googlie

March 2022 – Persson is enjoying a strong debut North American season, contributing as a second-pairing defender on a strong Kamloops Blazers roster. With his swift mobility, and booming point shot serving as his top attributes, the 20-year-old has racked up 26 points on the year, firing at a 0.50 clip. As a right-shot defender, Persson sits in a strong position among the organizations pecking order and could see himself in Abbottsford as early as next season. For now, he has his sights set on a Memorial Cup run. Dave Hall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, what a shame. And here I thought that this 170 pound Dman we drafted 130th overall was a sure thing. What a waste of a precious draft pick, eh?

Had potential but oh well.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, Alflives said:

He’s tiny and brings no offence.  Hunt is (always has been) a far superior player.  Little D who bring no offence have no chance here.  They are pretty much a wasted pick.  A guy like Rathbone has huge offence.  Hughes is a phenom with the puck.  

some day when I feel like wasting the day on the computer

I will list all ol Jim's draft picks by size

but it won't be today

cuz I got shizzle to do

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, what a shame. And here I thought that this 170 pound Dman we drafted 130th overall was a sure thing. What a waste of a precious draft pick, eh?

that is one way of looking at it

but

on a positive note

that is the kind of pick that could have been the sweetener on another Brandon Prust deal

3 hours ago, lmm said:

that is one way of looking at it

but

on a positive note

that is the kind of pick that could have been the sweetener on another Brandon Prust deal

You really consider that to be positive? My point was actually positive; the fact that we took a swing at a long shot with a late round draft pick (a completely appropriate use of a late pick) and the expected happened, he didn't pan out (at least as far as we know, since he is still our property), is not the slightest bit negative.

Talking about how it's a loss because that very low value draft pick could have been used as a "sweetener" in some insignificant short-term bottom of the lineup trade on the other hand...

Edited by WeneedLumme

6 hours ago, BPA said:

June 1st is coming up soon.  Don’t think Canucks will sign him.  Another lost prospect:( 

That's being a little melodramatic! If JR, or Benning before him, thought that Utunen could translate his game to the NHL, he'd already be signed.

The Canucks want to get bigger and tougher and we have depth on the left side. Let him go UFA, one of the other teams might take a flyer on him.

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You really consider that to be positive? My point was actually positive; the fact that we took a swing at a long shot with a late round draft pick (a completely appropriate use of a late pick) and the expected happened, he didn't pan out (at least as far as we know, since he is still our property), is not the slightest bit negative.

Talking about how it's a loss because that very low value draft pick could have been used as a "sweetener" in some insignificant short-term bottom of the lineup trade on the other hand...

I'll remember never to try humour with you again

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Humour, huh? Yeah, please don't; if that was supposed to be humour, you are really not very good at it.

thanks, I'll take that under advisement

moving on

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not surprised by this at all. He seemed to get to a certain point of development and stall. If they brought him over, I don't think he'd ever evolve to more than a 2nd or 3rd pairing in the AHL, we have access to lots of those.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not surprised by this at all. He seemed to get to a certain point of development and stall. If they brought him over, I don't think he'd ever evolve to more than a 2nd or 3rd pairing in the AHL, we have access to lots of those.

I think this ^ is it, don't really need to burn a spot on the 50 man roster for a very easily attainable type of player. 

Ah well, they don't all work out. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think this ^ is it, don't really need to burn a spot on the 50 man roster for a very easily attainable type of player. 

Ah well, they don't all work out. 

It's crazy how some fans get pissed about letting a 5th round pick walk. They seem to forget exactly what you're stating. We have a 50 man contracts available. If we sign every fringe guy, we wouldn't have room to sign guys like Karlsson and make a run at Kuzmenko.

Improving means knowing who to sign and who to let go.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2