The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Artyom Manukyan | RW

thejazz97

I much prefer these high skilled small guys in the late rounds as they can get bigger or just succeed because of skill vs the grab a big guy cause he may fill a hole one day on the 4th line. 4th line guys are easy enough to get as free agents or waiver pick ups. Skill is much more expensive or had to find in waivers.

Good chance these picks don't work out but if they do the up side is so much higher.

• Upvote 1

The one question I have is have the Canucks reached out to him to see if he even has any desire to play in the NHL? I know typically there is dialogue but in this case it seems like they are hoping he's willing to come over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I am an Armenian like this guy and very proud of him being drafted! I’m a bit concerned about his size but he sure looks good in the videos that have been posted. I really hope he makes it on the team. He will be the first Armenian Canuck and second Armenian ever in the NHL (Zach Bogossian is the other).

Armenian? Like the Kardashians?

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Teammates eh? Impressive insight there my friend. I hads no idea.

I said this in another thread,but the Canucks picks this year seem very familiar 3rd round onwards.

Very similar play styles and profiles.

Tyler Madden = Cole Cassels

I know Gillis drafted Cassels but still very familiar player type

Toni Utman = Gustav Forsling

Artyom Manyukan = Dimitri Zhukenov

Not a fan of this pick. 20 year old super undersized winger.

Much rather would have chosen 18 yr old Kyle Topping who is a C.

But I guess maybe Palmu 2.0?

Work hard little guy and prove me and many other fans wrong!

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I hope Topping gets an invite to development camp.

Biggest knock against him is skating. And mostly technical issues and a “choppy” stride. Would make sense to bring him in for camp and just give him a good lookover. 

I'm also pretty sure there’s a window where you can sign guys after they’ve gone undrafted (like we did with McEneny in 2012, when he was still only 18 and had passed through the draft just once). Don’t have to wait until they’re 20+ and standard CHL UDFAs.

If the Canucks took a good look at Topping at camp, determined his skating issues are mostly technical and could be vastly improved with a skating coach, then he could be a guy worth taking a serious look at.

In any case, he deserves at least an invite. Local kid (from Salt Spring Island), played with Kole Lind in Kelowna, and has put up good numbers.

Seems like a perfect invite target.

Update: after writing all this I found a source saying the Sharks already invited Topping to their camp. :( 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not a fan of this pick. 20 year old super undersized winger.

But I guess maybe Palmu 2.0?

Work hard little guy and prove me and many other fans wrong!

Sorry, have you written Palmu off?  He had a great year last year (rookie of the year) and is going to the AHL this year.  It is only D+1 for him and he is built like a tank unlike Manukyan.

They said they almost drafted him last year, can you imagine how much CDC would have freaked if we had taken him and Palmu in the last draft.

Topping ended up going undrafted, so obviously there were 31 teams that weren't that interested.  Will be available in draft again next year.

Benning likes drafting guys entering second or third drafts in late rounds.  Better book on them at that point.  Wasn't Tryamkin a guy that went undrafted first time?

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Sorry, have you written Palmu off?  He had a great year last year (rookie of the year) and is going to the AHL this year.  It is only D+1 for him and he is built like a tank unlike Manukyan.

They said they almost drafted him last year, can you imagine how much CDC would have freaked if we had taken him and Palmu in the last draft.

Topping ended up going undrafted, so obviously there were 31 teams that weren't that interested.  Will be available in draft again next year.

Benning likes drafting guys entering second or third drafts in late rounds.  Better book on them at that point.  Wasn't Tryamkin a guy that went undrafted first time?

No, I was impressed by Palmu this year, built like a bull, not so much with this particular player. Saying Palmu 2.0 was just referring to us drafting another short F, this time the player weighs 30-40 lbs less than palmu.

Hoping Palmu has a good year in Utica as a rookie

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

No, I was impressed by Palmu this year, built like a bull, not so much with this particular player. Saying Palmu 2.0 was just referring to us drafting another short F, this time the player weighs 30-40 lbs less than palmu.

Hoping Palmu has a good year in Utica as a rookie

Utica should be interesting this year.  So many good young wingers.

One of our highly regarded young guys is likely going to create a riot on CDC when he gets sent to ECHL because of the depth of young wingers.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I said this in another thread,but the Canucks picks this year seem very familiar 3rd round onwards.

Very similar play styles and profiles.

Tyler Madden = Cole Cassels

I know Gillis drafted Cassels but still very familiar player type

Toni Utman = Gustav Forsling

Artyom Manyukan = Dimitri Zhukenov

I can see the similarities between Madden and Cassels, both having dads in the NHL and both are considered to be defensive centers, but Madden believes he has more offense to his game.

The other two, I don't see the similarities. Utunen is an all around guy, maybe a Juolevi lite. While Forsling was more noted for his offense. Manukyan is a pure speed and skill winger while Zhukenov is a two way center.

• Upvote 1

Usually I don't have an issue with size (and I know I'm beating a dead horse) but 5'7 is small. And at 20 years old, he's not likely to grow. At least if he was 18 there's a shot of him growing an inch or two, but now, not so much. I think there would have been better plays to target for a boom or bust pick with this pick. 

With that said, I'm rooting for him all the way. Hope he can prove the majority of us wrong about his size. He's certainly skilled enough that he could be utilized as a specialty forward and still be effective in the new NHL 

21 minutes ago, Baggins said:

2 points in 24 KHL games as a 19 yr old screams longshot, long term, project.

I took a random sampling of several of his KHL game logs and it looks like the games he actually dressed for he played between zero and eight minutes. Even the game he scored his goal in, he only saw seven minutes and change of icetime.

Apparently, he’s expected to see his role increase next season.

As for the MHL, he set that league’s season scoring record in 2016-17.

Agreed he’s an extreme longshot. As for how long term, it remains to be seen. Hopefully in a year or two, we’ll have an idea of what he can do with decent KHL icetime and how well his junior production actually translates to that league.

One thing I like is that we should hold his rights until he’s 27, so until 2025. If he becomes any kind of player, we own him (as far as the NHL). If he does succeed in the KHL next season (or over the following years), NHL teams would have come sniffing around. Instead, we basically hold a lottery ticket for the next seven years. Really long odds it’ll actually pay off. But if it hits, we cash in.

Should be fun to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I can see the similarities between Madden and Cassels, both having dads in the NHL and both are considered to be defensive centers, but Madden believes he has more offense to his game.

The other two, I don't see the similarities. Utunen is an all around guy, maybe a Juolevi lite. While Forsling was more noted for his offense. Manukyan is a pure speed and skill winger while Zhukenov is a two way center.

They are both smallish Euros and their best assets are their skating and quickness combined with puck skills.

Madden should make it provided he is a better skater than Cole Cassels.

I don't know where Utunen or Manyukan fit in the equation 4 years from now if they are even still in the Canucks system.

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Usually I don't have an issue with size (and I know I'm beating a dead horse) but 5'7 is small. And at 20 years old, he's not likely to grow. At least if he was 18 there's a shot of him growing an inch or two, but now, not so much. I think there would have been better plays to target for a boom or bust pick with this pick. 

With that said, I'm rooting for him all the way. Hope he can prove the majority of us wrong about his size. He's certainly skilled enough that he could be utilized as a specialty forward and still be effective in the new NHL 

The height isn't as much of an issue as the weight. If he was stocky and powerful like Palmu, who has a chance to be the next Vlad Sobotka, then he would be adequate enough.

He is pretty much has to get heavier without sacrificing his speed and quickness which is hard to do at his age.

Plus why would he want to join the Canucks? Can he even speak English?

That matters if he is comfortable...or uncomfortable and he feels like Tryamkin.

The Canucks have their hands full coaxing Goldobin don't think they can handle any more Russians.

If the TB or the Rangers or Red Wings made this same pick he might have actually had a legit shot of playing.

9 hours ago, JC2 said:

The one question I have is have the Canucks reached out to him to see if he even has any desire to play in the NHL? I know typically there is dialogue but in this case it seems like they are hoping he's willing to come over.

6th rounder who cares. Probably better taking those guys late because they're probably ranked higher if they are for sure willing to come over. I take High risk high reward over low risk medium reward all day

44 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

6th rounder who cares. Probably better taking those guys late because they're probably ranked higher if they are for sure willing to come over. I take High risk high reward over low risk medium reward all day

Exactly.

He reminds me of a guy like Vitali Abramov who was a third round pick of the Blue Jackets in 2016. Similar size and skill set yet one played in the CHL and got more recognition, while the other opted to play in Russia. Having a Russian come over and play in the CHL at a young age will always get them ranked higher.

If all things were equal I think Manukyan could have gone higher, but there is the risk he never comes over.

We'll know alot more about his chances after he plays a full season in the KHL.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I took a random sampling of several of his KHL game logs and it looks like the games he actually dressed for he played between zero and eight minutes. Even the game he scored his goal in, he only saw seven minutes and change of icetime.

Apparently, he’s expected to see his role increase next season.

As for the MHL, he set that league’s season scoring record in 2016-17.

Agreed he’s an extreme longshot. As for how long term, it remains to be seen. Hopefully in a year or two, we’ll have an idea of what he can do with decent KHL icetime and how well his junior production actually translates to that league.

One thing I like is that we should hold his rights until he’s 27, so until 2025. If he becomes any kind of player, we own him (as far as the NHL). If he does succeed in the KHL next season (or over the following years), NHL teams would have come sniffing around. Instead, we basically hold a lottery ticket for the next seven years. Really long odds it’ll actually pay off. But if it hits, we cash in.

Should be fun to watch.

Exactly. I don't mind this pick. A 6th round was a long shot regardless but if we hit we will hit big...